CP’s Talon Rebuild

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine came with the lever adjusted just a bit forward of the neutral gate, not centered. I decided to leave it that way - I think that gives me a lil extra into Low. Notching the gate rearward for an 'extended' Low engagement was one of the first things I saw guys doing when I showed up here. I think it's a sound idea especially since you're having some problems there.

I'm also very careful when using Low, applying throttle gingerly to make sure the dogs have engaged. When possible, I shift into Low at a very slow roll to help the dogs find their position. It's just like rolling a motorcycle back and forth at a stop so it'll shift into gear.
I’ve been cautious since day one & made sure my cable was in spec. I had a slight bang a couple of times, both times were from a dead stop though….. I ended up getting a CA shift gate & hasn’t happened since. I recently added the “jeep boot” around the shifter to keep the heat out. I noticed after putting the boot on It made the throw into low a little harder. I did just what you said and drilled it out a little. I think the aftermarket gate and a little drilling should be on top of everyone’s to do list!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve been cautious since day one & made sure my cable was in spec. I had a slight bang a couple of times, both times were from a dead stop though….. I ended up getting a CA shift gate & hasn’t happened since. I recently added the “jeep boot” around the shifter to keep the heat out. I noticed after putting the boot on It made the throw into low a little harder. I did just what you said and drilled it out a little. I think the aftermarket gate and a little drilling should be on top of everyone’s to do list!
I also have the Jeep boot, I checked that and didn’t seem like it grabs but I suppose could just slow the throw a bit. Was a little concerned it’d stress the cable but seems like it only needs about 1/16th or so. How much would you say you went?

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have the Jeep boot, I checked that and didn’t seem like it grabs but I suppose could just slow the throw a bit. Was a little concerned it’d stress the cable but seems like it only needs about 1/16th or so. How much would you say you went?
On the CA gate there is a little room for the plate to slide forward or backwards, before you tighten the bolts down. I actually just had to trim some of Honda’s metal under my CA plate. Then holding the shift gate plate back towards low, tightened it down. I’m sure each aftermarket plate differs, so you might wanna trim yours too. Now keep in mind I didn’t trim the metal under the plate until after I put the Jeep boot on, but I definitely feel like it helps!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
🤔 how's the re rebuild going? 🤪
Rebuild no problem. Now just trying to keep the JAH going.🤣 I’m asking a lot out of the Talon, banging it around where we ride,so far so good, officially only an axle boot mechanically. Plastics, protection and lights don’t count

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
On the CA gate there is a little room for the plate to slide forward or backwards, before you tighten the bolts down. I actually just had to trim some of Honda’s metal under my CA plate. Then holding the shift gate plate back towards low, tightened it down. I’m sure each aftermarket plate differs, so you might wanna trim yours too. Now keep in mind I didn’t trim the metal under the plate until after I put the Jeep boot on, but I definitely feel like it helps!
Kinda wish I had done plate and boot at different times so had a baseline. Well I’ll be grinding tonight, thanks Rambo it feels a little better that it worked right for someone else.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Currently in Idaho 30 min out from my friends house. He’s backed up to BLM land. We’re going on big day ride into Montana and back. Pretty pumped. Adjusted shocks and checked over machine after a full fluid change, good to go. Cooler full and I’m the f*** out of Washington. Funny how air smells better just across the border.
Man what a beautiful view in the rear view, Talon sitting in the back of a solid 4-door First Gen. Dreams come true if you make um.🤗

ABB5D291 FB06 4D7C B03E 929CB1880BF4

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh and side note, someone lost Talon key so yesterday I went to dealer to get another. They had a KRX that they allowed me to test drive on their track.
I have sat in them before but until you’re driving you don’t realize exactly how roomy they are. I did personally feel a bit disconnected though because of it. there were good and bad like anything, hard to judge a machine without being balls deep in the trees but I did like the gearing and overall feel. Steering and suspension great. f*** it’s loud though and damn huge. It felt like you were driving a Jeep. Not for me but nice machine. I’d still like to borrow one in the woods. Wish my phone hadn’t been dead or I’d gotten couple pics.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Oh and side note, someone lost Talon key so yesterday I went to dealer to get another. They had a KRX that they allowed me to test drive on their track.
I have sat in them before but until you’re driving you don’t realize exactly how roomy they are. I did personally feel a bit disconnected though because of it. there were good and bad like anything, hard to judge a machine without being balls deep in the trees but I did like the gearing and overall feel. Steering and suspension great. f*** it’s loud though and damn huge. It felt like you were driving a Jeep. Not for me but nice machine. I’d still like to borrow one in the woods. Wish my phone hadn’t been dead or I’d gotten couple pics.
Yeah there definitely not for pansies 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Two things that the krx needs to be fixed to me is. 1st- the popping out of high gear and second in the summer months it can get very hot inside the cab if you have a full windshield and back windshield but it’s nice in the winter months. I’m sure there’s other things just like all sxs’s.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Had problems with windshield falling out the last weekend out. They cut the glass a little small. I added double back around the steel edge and that seemed to help.
well it didn’t survive the 90mph In back of truck, was laying on seat when got here. Oh well put it back in with only a little glass into the fingers and now headed out. I’ll have them warranty it next week
29C5B3CA BF75 4F5F 933D CA21C1304E5E

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Two things that the krx needs to be fixed to me is. 1st- the popping out of high gear and second in the summer months it can get very hot inside the cab if you have a full windshield and back windshield but it’s nice in the winter months. I’m sure there’s other things just like all sxs’s.
Like said my only real issues were the sheer size, that thing is huge and the noise. It’s much noisier then anything I’ve driven. The R-Max was noisy but not as bad

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like said my only real issues were the sheer size, that thing is huge and the noise. It’s much noisier then anything I’ve driven. The R-Max was noisy but not as bad
I agree. My buddy bought one and I drove it a few weeks ago. First thing I noticed was how loud it is. He has front and back windshields on it so that might be a factor. I could never get used to a belt driven machine. Felt really weird. The ride was great though as it soaked up all the bumps

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
No doubt about the size of a krx. They need to trim it down a little cause that would make a little easier getting through the woods with them. I put side mirrors on mine and when I look at them I can’t see past the hips of the krx so the mirrors are useless.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No joke today, 217 miles of Idaho woods. 9 1/2 hours straight of seat time. Snow, trails, high speed dirt road, creek ride, hill climb, tight trails and bushwhacking. Talons got beat on lol. Just got home and left the house at 9am, I’m beat too!
Ran at 70 for a couple good stretches for first time, potholes didn’t seem to upset it too bad, just soaks up everything, the adjustment on front shocks was well worth it. Actually softened up the machine by running springs down 1”, now you always run sport at speed otherwise too soft. So trails normal and haul ass is sport, that works out great. Love this machine. Over 1400 miles so far this year I’ve put on it.
9A7E730F 372F 4884 926D 63BDAA6FD504
D13F69F3 B1B6 4A49 8CEE DC3777C0387A
5B5DCE64 77A7 4D70 BA03 0ACE07117DD0
72A70C00 65EB 485C AF66 5D333A230BE5
FA5C861C 2B0D 4262 B038 CF508B5AD91D
B0F6E01C 01FC 4D60 8073 780154CDA61C
470BEC28 CD09 417E B242 456974E5A6B7
28B0ABDF DB39 40A7 9A8A 9F5A1A0296EE
A757B407 FE11 4CBA 8C8B 45544CF1784E
50B46681 7E3A 4780 9493 BE7A013846A3
4CE828E3 BEF7 43B4 9988 379E6AC18F7E
70B7A005 E4A1 4CDD BF39 7D95BA03B6EB
9B007BCD 5C00 44AF BED1 70A9B74D7646

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!