Talon First Talon Ride Event Next Week... Review coming soon!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey @Smitty335 and North West AR peps

Upload 2019 3 6 16 59 59

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So my understanding is that the YXZ is made to be run high rpms and the Talon is made to run more low end torque running lower rpm.....

If you don't keep the rpm's up on the YXZ you are going to be disappointed in the power.....

Sounds like the Talon is built to pull and have torque.... kind of like the 450 dirt bikes that old motorcross riders like me are used to.....

Isnt the yxz basically a motor they used in sleds?

I guess my point is they are 2 completely different engine designs...... kinda like diesel vs gas engines....

Dont you f***ers get started on that CP and plumber

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It's not as extreme as a gas vs diesel comparison. The Talon's redline is about 8,600 to the YXZ at 10,500. The Africa Twin peak TQ 5,500 vs 7,250 and peak HP 7,500 vs 8,750. HMF's dyno sheet of the Pioneer starts at 4k rpm and the YXZ has just a little more TQ there and extends into a higher rpm. It does like to rev though and really comes on from 6-9k rpm. It actually sounds and feels better the more your rev it. It still will blow the tires off from a stop and has launch control so you can take off at 10k rpm, just like revving a motorcycle to the rev limiter or whatever rpm u want and dumping the clutch by holding the paddles back, revving and letting go. It is a similar design that they use in the sleds. I saw a guy that used a longer stroke sled crankshaft in his yxz. The X3, YXZ and XX run the 3 cyl and I've heard Polaris is working on one and the new kawi looks to be a triple.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Very well said and I agree with you. I didn’t take that review as totally negative, people are going to like other machines more and we do know the power is a little soft. After watching the Blog review I’m certain it’ll be enough for me because I just don’t give a damn to ride dunes and it did look pretty natural hitting the trails. A little added power I’m hopeful will be possible and the shocks need to be good enough from the box, that’s a must for us. If those are good it’ll come down to no issues like a Honda was prior to the p1000.
They said plenty of good but did critique some but that’s what I want to hear, both sides. If I’m going to lay another 25k down and keep what we have I want to know all I can. That review didn’t change my thoughts, they were coming from people that wouldn’t probably normally ride where I do or how I do. I just want real reviews and that’s not going to come from a Honda only fanboy that hasn’t ridden anything else, don’t give a f*** what they have to say. Reviews finally coming in, it’s getting exciting! I’m eating it up
I'm waiting to see the four seat model!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not as extreme as a gas vs diesel comparison. The Talon's redline is about 8,600 to the YXZ at 10,500. The Africa Twin peak TQ 5,500 vs 7,250 and peak HP 7,500 vs 8,750. HMF's dyno sheet of the Pioneer starts at 4k rpm and the YXZ has just a little more TQ there and extends into a higher rpm. It does like to rev though and really comes on from 6-9k rpm. It actually sounds and feels better the more your rev it. It still will blow the tires off from a stop and has launch control so you can take off at 10k rpm, just like revving a motorcycle to the rev limiter or whatever rpm u want and dumping the clutch by holding the paddles back, revving and letting go. It is a similar design that they use in the sleds. I saw a guy that used a longer stroke sled crankshaft in his yxz. The X3, YXZ and XX run the 3 cyl and I've heard Polaris is working on one and the new kawi looks to be a triple.
Isn't the talon supposed to have launch control as well? Thought they came out with a patent on theirs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Isn't the talon supposed to have launch control as well? Thought they came out with a patent on theirs.
Heard it wound up not having it but might be able to be programmed in

Reactions: Plumber32
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It kinda looks like a Artic cat. It’s a shaft drive ? They should have a race with all the top models for each manufacturer, to see who’s top dog. Everything, like mud, rock crawling, flat out, and dirt trails. That would be great. Thanks for the pictures. :)
Caper
And high speed rock crawling! HA!

H

HondaTech

The engine uses the same bearings. Different head, crank, rods, pistons, rings, cams, etc. Oh and different clutches too.

Reverse is lower too, 6th gear is a different part # but shows to be the same ratio. Alot of the top end parts are Africa Twin with some mixed in new stuff and P1K as well.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reverse is lower too, 6th gear is a different part # but shows to be the same ratio. Alot of the top end parts are Africa Twin with some mixed in new stuff and P1K as well.
Wonder what the 4 seater platform will be, stretch limo?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll check the ratios in the service manual tomorrow.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!