Talon First Talon Ride Event Next Week... Review coming soon!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just watched that too. They were the only ones that didn't have the same review. They weren't dogging it, but weren't blown away. In reality it's not a mind blowing unit like a 200hp turbo nor was it meant to be. I think the end he said it was a pioneer on steroids. Which in that case I'd love.
s*** they were b****ing about everything they could think of. Fisher even said " We asked how much power it had and they said they didn't know" .. what a crock of s***. I am not saying it's the greatest machine out there it's not but they were clearly trying to put it down every way they could.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
s*** they were b****ing about everything they could think of. Fisher even said " We asked how much power it had and they said they didn't know" .. what a crock of s***. I am not saying it's the greatest machine out there it's not but they were clearly trying to put it down every way they could.

Another interesting thing was there was no video in there review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

So, I just spent the last two hours watching the initial reviews... and it’s about what I expected. The Fisher review was the most critical... but I didn’t think it was a bad review either. They said what we knew. It’s not some crazy hp machine but it does what it does well. Hell, we own pioneers... it’s obvoiusly going to be a different experience for us jumping in it vs someone that owns and X3. I think the platform is there it just needs that refinement that comes with future generations. Sure there are things that don’t bother this person or that in regards to specifics. But we’ve all sat here and commented on improvements that Honda should make to the pioneer line. We won’t know until they’re put through the paces in the real world. But it sounds like Honda hit the mark on providing the machine they intended with room on the platform to refine and improve. Realistically, I think it would probably be better suited for those of us that don’t “need” the flexibility of a utility vehicle that’s also a family cruiser. Hell, most of us have more in our pioneers than you can go out and buy a talon for and hit the trails stick with better performance. There is the reality of the usefulness of more power. But we’ve all been there where we want more. That’s why and how manufactures continue to sell more machines! I do think it will be better suited for most riders than what’s out there currently. But power to weight, it won’t be what some of the others offer. Again, it’s a Honda. It’s an all around machine vs that niche machine that performs better on the other 10% of trails some of the others do. Give them 10 years in the sport game and see where things are. For me it’s still between the YXZ and Talon R if I were buying a sport. Durability and performance will just have to be the test that only time can tell.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
For me, the most real and unfiltered review is the SXSblog guys. There is no sponsor bleed through in their reviews. They drive X3 turbo's, Polaris Turbos and YXZ turbo. They are giving you their honest impressions. You can tell when someone has an agenda for or against in 2 minutes. The SXSblog guys view SXS's like most of us do. What is the fun factor? How much do they enjoy the journey? How reliable and well built is the ride? How does it handle? Based on review, I think Honda did remarkably well out of the gate. I have not seen one SXS that does not have some shortcoming. Take Polaris, how long have they been building sport SXS's? Go look at RZR forum and people are constantly complaining about recalls, broken belts, ride command technology, hard shifting, poor quality and so on.

I don't own a Honda. In fact, I have never owned a Honda of any kind. I for one am impressed with the Talon and my conviction for putting my money down on an X has strengthen based on what I am reading, seeing and hearing.

J

JTW

Here is another new one just went up 8 minutes ago.

Now, that was a better review.. I think they said the same thing but did a better job of telling us how and why. One thing is for sure... it sounds like Honda did a lot better job than they did with the pioneer 1000. Of course, even though this is their first “sport” machine... so much of the r&d was carried over from the pioneer line.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For me, the most real and unfiltered review is the SXSblog guys. There is no sponsor bleed through in their reviews. They drive X3 turbo's, Polaris Turbos and YXZ turbo. They are giving you their honest impressions. You can tell when someone has an agenda for or against in 2 minutes. The SXSblog guys view SXS's like most of us do. What is the fun factor? How much do they enjoy the journey? How reliable and well built is the ride? How does it handle? Based on review, I think Honda did remarkably well out of the gate. I have not seen one SXS that does not have some shortcoming. Take Polaris, how long have they been building sport SXS's? Go look at RZR forum and people are constantly complaining about recalls, broken belts, ride command technology, hard shifting, poor quality and so on.

I don't own a Honda. In fact, I have never owned a Honda of any kind. I for one am impressed with the Talon and my conviction for putting my money down on an X has strengthen based on what I am reading, seeing and hearing.

I really like the sxsblog guys. I feel they are straightforward and unbiased. As far as fishers goes, Ive been watching them for a long time and enjoy their videos and personalities, as well as their knowledge of the powersports industries. However... I do not trust reviews from anyone with sponsors. Im sorry, but when you have companies you rely on to back you, you wont promote their competition or put down their products. And to fishers on the tow hitch point, i know they know better. Most sport SXS's dont have them. At the end when they kept saying if they had $20k to spend on a SXS, it wouldnt be the talon... i was really waiting for them to say it would be the X3 or Sport. Great guys, but reviews on competition with a grain of salt.

Im not sure who the ATV escape people are, but they did have a good review and talked about both the good and bad points.

Overall, I think this is what most of us expected. Its actually better than what i expected, I wasnt too impressed from inital release, but after watching everything so far, I am getting more and more impressed. The things we love Honda for looks like they hit on the head.

Last edited:
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now, that was a better review.. I think they said the same thing but did a better job of telling us how and why. One thing is for sure... it sounds like Honda did a lot better job than they did with the pioneer 1000. Of course, even though this is their first “sport” machine... so much of the r&d was carried over from the pioneer line.

Two notes-

"I wish it had more horsepower to make up for my lack of driving/shifting skills" :p

As far as the complaint about not lifting the front end in the sand...wouldn't ya think paddles would assist with that? At some point in deep sand an all terrain/mud/trail tire just ain't gonna cut it.

R

RaceCityRiders

Dec 11, 2018
Mooresville, NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Glad to finally read and watch some reviews over the last few days.

What I've learned so far is it's a Honda and that means Reliable, Refined, does it all but just isn't a crazy raging beast. We knew it wasn't going to be a raging beast months ago, 104HP can't compete against 172HP and for those who think it was going after the turbo market, well it wasn't.

What the Talon is going after and seems to be giving the SxS world something to worry about, is a reliable SxS that won't leave you broken down In the woods. No more belt changes, No more draining water out of the CVT, No more belt squeaking.

Our first trip to Hatfield McCoy I brought my 2006 Outlander Max 400. I'm not a small guy but ending up leading the group. I found myself waiting at every trail split for the rest of the gang to catch up. The group had RZR1000's, a few Turbos, couple outlander 800's a Scrambler 1000 and a Honds Rubicon. So certain trail systems it doesn't matter if you have 28hp or 172hp, 20 mph is 20mph, 40 mph is 40 mph. Can only go as fast as the person in front of you or what the trails allow.

After a weeks worth of riding, we all left together, arrived together pulled each other out of mud holes, in the end every machine had the same amount of Hatfield McCoy trail miles but one didn't require any wrenching all week and that was the Honda.

So I don't care about 172hp+ or side nets, or no tailgate, what I care about is loading up for a weeks worth of riding where I'm not worrying about draining a CVT, fixing a belt or standing in waist deep mud getting pulled out cause the CVT is slipping.

The only thing I really got out of the Fisher review that bothers me is the hole in the floor that let mud and water splash up and into the cockpit. Wondering if that was Honda removing the drain plugs or is it something Honda overlooked?

I'll be a buyer but probably wait till next year.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I believe the power statement had to do with the alternator. But yeah they are sponsored by canam, and I think he has interest in a dealer or 2.

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4

What I've learned so far is it's a Honda and that means Reliable, Refined, does it all but just isn't a crazy raging beast. We knew it wasn't going to be a raging beast months ago, 104HP can't compete against 172HP and for those who think it was going after the turbo market, well it wasn't.

What the Talon is going after and seems to be giving the SxS world something to worry about, is a reliable SxS that won't leave you broken down In the woods. No more belt changes, No more draining water out of the CVT, No more belt squeaking.

Our first trip to Hatfield McCoy I brought my 2006 Outlander Max 400. I'm not a small guy but ending up leading the group. I found myself waiting at every trail split for the rest of the gang to catch up. The group had RZR1000's, a few Turbos, couple outlander 800's a Scrambler 1000 and a Honds Rubicon. So certain trail systems it doesn't matter if you have 28hp or 172hp, 20 mph is 20mph, 40 mph is 40 mph. Can only go as fast as the person in front of you or what the trails allow.

After a weeks worth of riding, we all left together, arrived together pulled each other out of mud holes, in the end every machine had the same amount of Hatfield McCoy trail miles but one didn't require any wrenching all week and that was the Honda.

So I don't care about 172hp+ or side nets, or no tailgate, what I care about is loading up for a weeks worth of riding where I'm not worrying about draining a CVT, fixing a belt or standing in waist deep mud getting pulled out cause the CVT is slipping.

The only thing I really got out of the Fisher review that bothers me is the hole in the floor that let mud and water splash up and into the cockpit. Wondering if that was Honda removing the drain plugs or is it something Honda overlooked?

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Very well said- 104 is PLENTY for the woods.

Frankly I think 72 is more than I use at HM....

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fishers review was more about them and how "cool" and "hard" of a drivers they are. I don't expect any review to say only good things as that is not real world but they appeared to not know the basic information that even the other reviews are including. Maybe they arrived late and did not get to attend the opening session or maybe they did not feel being accurate as possible was important.

They did mention a couple of things that caught my ear
  1. You have to buy an aftermarket bumper if you want to mount a winch - I know the RSR S went to something like this but still ahs one winch that will fit internally - that would most likely be an added expense right off the bat
  2. They stated the only difference between the Pioneer and talon engine and drivetrain is the "map" - I think all information released so far has pointed us to that would be a false statement (they are similar but not the same is what I have read)
  3. They mentioned the I4WD seemed to be fighting them at higher speeds. I would think after a certain speed you would want to not be in 4WD but not sure of the abilities.
Most reviewers appeared to come in not expecting much and were impressed, they seem to come in expecting more and were not overwhelmed - Initial expectations can set the over under bar.

I am looking forward to @Hondasxs review - I am sure he will be able to relate it to all of our current experience driving Pioneers and he knows what is important to the majority of the members here.

I do so wish Honda would do one of these media events in TN - it is (personally) harder to relate to the Dunes or UT riding. I would love to see people impression of the Talon running some familiar trails like around RRB - a run of the Dragons back Windowmaker that most of us have made at takeover or overland would be interesting. But I trust Honda knows the market they are after and how to appear to them.

I enjoyed the ATV escape guys reviews - never heard of them before but now subscribed to there channel. SXSblog - I enjoyed there review as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!