Talon First Talon Ride Event Next Week... Review coming soon!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I watched a video on FB last night and they just started going through some small whoops and chatter and and the in cab video was pretty violent. Video just stopped barely in the run. I was thinking last night from the video they might have endo'ed or broke it to cut the video so soon. I went back trying to find the video and it was gone.
I did not see that video, but watch another video last night of 2 fellas that had test drove both the X and the R. Reference riding the whoops in the sand they were very clear that the X did NOT handle them well at 25-30 mph, whereas the R soaked them up well at 60mph. Of course the X was not designed for such use ......put it in the tight woods. They were 'down' on the Hondas for being short on HP in the open dunes.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fishers review was more about them and how "cool" and "hard" of a drivers they are. I don't expect any review to say only good things as that is not real world but they appeared to not know the basic information that even the other reviews are including. Maybe they arrived late and did not get to attend the opening session or maybe they did not feel being accurate as possible was important.

They did mention a couple of things that caught my ear
  1. You have to buy an aftermarket bumper if you want to mount a winch - I know the RSR S went to something like this but still ahs one winch that will fit internally - that would most likely be an added expense right off the bat
  2. They stated the only difference between the Pioneer and talon engine and drivetrain is the "map" - I think all information released so far has pointed us to that would be a false statement (they are similar but not the same is what I have read)
  3. They mentioned the I4WD seemed to be fighting them at higher speeds. I would think after a certain speed you would want to not be in 4WD but not sure of the abilities.
Most reviewers appeared to come in not expecting much and were impressed, they seem to come in expecting more and were not overwhelmed - Initial expectations can set the over under bar.

I am looking forward to @Hondasxs review - I am sure he will be able to relate it to all of our current experience driving Pioneers and he knows what is important to the majority of the members here.

I do so wish Honda would do one of these media events in TN - it is (personally) harder to relate to the Dunes or UT riding. I would love to see people impression of the Talon running some familiar trails like around RRB - a run of the Dragons back Windowmaker that most of us have made at takeover or overland would be interesting. But I trust Honda knows the market they are after and how to appear to them.

I enjoyed the ATV escape guys reviews - never heard of them before but now subscribed to there channel. SXSblog - I enjoyed there review as well.

I think the reason they were in 4wd was Honda “suggested” everyone run in 4wd all the time. Not sure if this was a safety thing or a show off our product thing. Another reviewer had mentioned they only ran in 4wd as suggested by Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Last 2 posts have said what I've been saying. We need an eastcoast woods/trail test not a dunes test. It took Yamaha a while to make changes to the YXZ to make it more eastcoast freindly. Maybe the Talon is already but I would like to see a real world testing.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I believe the power statement had to do with the alternator. But yeah they are sponsored by canam, and I think he has interest in a dealer or 2.
Could be, maybe I missed it. I used to like watching Fisher back in the day. I watched a lot of his shows on TV. I remember when he had an episode on Ride royal blue and that became a destination for me. Thanks to all the folks on here I've been there a few times.

I just think fisher has gotten pretty full of himself. Several times he commented on how they were riding harder and doing more than anyone else. He just acts like hes the biggest and baddest rider and is better than everyone else. Yea I'm sure not everyone was pushing it to the max, he just comes across very arrogant in his review.

To put it in perspective how long has fisher been making shows?.....10 years probably?... quite a while. In comparison the sxsblog guys started at the end of 2015, so under 4 years of making vids.

Fisher has 23k subscribers
Sxsblog has 58k subscribers
Dirt trax TV has 160k subscribers

Looks like Fisher is struggling to stay relevant anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another yt post of the event...

Reactions: Ragnar406
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
As JTW said Talon or YXZ. ???????? That's where I'm at.

Wow did I just agree with JTW.
I was right there with you. I do think the 2019 YXZ has a couple things over Talon. I think the suspension may be better. I think the sight lines are better. I like the 3 cylinder engine with a factory turbo option. What sold me was the auto option with paddle shift. If the YXZ had auto it would be sitting in my drive right now. I like to be able to shift when I want. That was the clincher. Believe me. I agonized. A small point. I do like how the Honda sounds over the Yamaha as well. But that is just a personal preference.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another yt post of the event...

I watched some of that kid last night. When he was like “I’ve never really rode much Offroad. This is cool!” I turned his review off as he probably isn’t relevant to my need for knowledge. Let me know if I was wrong.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is cool - the fact that honda let them do what most manufactures would not - no idea how it performed but happy we get to see it.
IMG 4481

They had another post where someone asked hoe did they get to do that and they said "they just made the case"

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I watched some of that kid last night. When he was like “I’ve never really rode much Offroad. This is cool!” I turned his review off as he probably isn’t relevant to my need for knowledge. Let me know if I was wrong.

I get it. But I like that Honda is getting a cross section of drivers.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That dude only has 375 subscribers.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

No offense taken by that at all. I'm just sharing what I find and have no skin in the game. In this video he says he has driven every Polaris model, the X3, and the maverick (might have said more, but I remembered those). He definitely had a little R vs. X insight for the east coast IMHO. Not saying it was mindblowing, but worth a few minutes again IMO. :)

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I think he works for a bigger company and is just trying to make a name for himself on his own as well. I didnt care for the review.. but maybe someone will

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So, I just spent the last two hours watching the initial reviews... and it’s about what I expected. The Fisher review was the most critical... but I didn’t think it was a bad review either. They said what we knew. It’s not some crazy hp machine but it does what it does well. Hell, we own pioneers... it’s obvoiusly going to be a different experience for us jumping in it vs someone that owns and X3. I think the platform is there it just needs that refinement that comes with future generations. Sure there are things that don’t bother this person or that in regards to specifics. But we’ve all sat here and commented on improvements that Honda should make to the pioneer line. We won’t know until they’re put through the paces in the real world. But it sounds like Honda hit the mark on providing the machine they intended with room on the platform to refine and improve. Realistically, I think it would probably be better suited for those of us that don’t “need” the flexibility of a utility vehicle that’s also a family cruiser. Hell, most of us have more in our pioneers than you can go out and buy a talon for and hit the trails stick with better performance. There is the reality of the usefulness of more power. But we’ve all been there where we want more. That’s why and how manufactures continue to sell more machines! I do think it will be better suited for most riders than what’s out there currently. But power to weight, it won’t be what some of the others offer. Again, it’s a Honda. It’s an all around machine vs that niche machine that performs better on the other 10% of trails some of the others do. Give them 10 years in the sport game and see where things are. For me it’s still between the YXZ and Talon R if I were buying a sport. Durability and performance will just have to be the test that only time can tell.
Very well said and I agree with you. I didn’t take that review as totally negative, people are going to like other machines more and we do know the power is a little soft. After watching the Blog review I’m certain it’ll be enough for me because I just don’t give a damn to ride dunes and it did look pretty natural hitting the trails. A little added power I’m hopeful will be possible and the shocks need to be good enough from the box, that’s a must for us. If those are good it’ll come down to no issues like a Honda was prior to the p1000.
They said plenty of good but did critique some but that’s what I want to hear, both sides. If I’m going to lay another 25k down and keep what we have I want to know all I can. That review didn’t change my thoughts, they were coming from people that wouldn’t probably normally ride where I do or how I do. I just want real reviews and that’s not going to come from a Honda only fanboy that hasn’t ridden anything else, don’t give a f*** what they have to say. Reviews finally coming in, it’s getting exciting! I’m eating it up

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I think he works for a bigger company and is just trying to make a name for himself on his own as well. I didnt care for the review.. but maybe someone will
He said a much more detailed review would be posted within 2 days. Just wanted to give a brief review now.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fishers review was more about them and how "cool" and "hard" of a drivers they are. I don't expect any review to say only good things as that is not real world but they appeared to not know the basic information that even the other reviews are including. Maybe they arrived late and did not get to attend the opening session or maybe they did not feel being accurate as possible was important.

They did mention a couple of things that caught my ear
  1. You have to buy an aftermarket bumper if you want to mount a winch - I know the RSR S went to something like this but still ahs one winch that will fit internally - that would most likely be an added expense right off the bat
  2. They stated the only difference between the Pioneer and talon engine and drivetrain is the "map" - I think all information released so far has pointed us to that would be a false statement (they are similar but not the same is what I have read)
  3. They mentioned the I4WD seemed to be fighting them at higher speeds. I would think after a certain speed you would want to not be in 4WD but not sure of the abilities.
Most reviewers appeared to come in not expecting much and were impressed, they seem to come in expecting more and were not overwhelmed - Initial expectations can set the over under bar.

I am looking forward to @Hondasxs review - I am sure he will be able to relate it to all of our current experience driving Pioneers and he knows what is important to the majority of the members here.

I do so wish Honda would do one of these media events in TN - it is (personally) harder to relate to the Dunes or UT riding. I would love to see people impression of the Talon running some familiar trails like around RRB - a run of the Dragons back Windowmaker that most of us have made at takeover or overland would be interesting. But I trust Honda knows the market they are after and how to appear to them.

I enjoyed the ATV escape guys reviews - never heard of them before but now subscribed to there channel. SXSblog - I enjoyed there review as well.

I agree with what you said. We all know the engine has changed more than just the map. Intake is different, gearing is different....Fisher just called it a pioneer on steroids, which it kind of is, but he seemed afraid to compare it to another brand. Its probably somewhere between a commander and a maverick.

I think they picked utah as a "middle ground" for their audience. It wasn't all wide open dune riding and it also wasn't a bunch of tight trails to make people overly critical. It offers some tight trial type experiences just without the trees.

The fisher guys clearly had ZERO understanding of the I4wd. Weather they love it or hate it I don't care but for the role they are in they should do their best to understand what they are operating and convey that to their audience. They kept calling it confusing and had no idea what was going on. Several of their statements on the breaking of the i4wd were totally false. They just had no idea what they were talking about and clearly made no attempt to really understand it. It just makes them look like idiots.

To your point number 3. Im not turning this into a 4wd debate. I'll just say there are plenty of folks using the i4wd that can say they are full of shyt :)

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So, I just spent the last two hours watching the initial reviews... and it’s about what I expected. The Fisher review was the most critical... but I didn’t think it was a bad review either. They said what we knew. It’s not some crazy hp machine but it does what it does well. Hell, we own pioneers... it’s obvoiusly going to be a different experience for us jumping in it vs someone that owns and X3. I think the platform is there it just needs that refinement that comes with future generations. Sure there are things that don’t bother this person or that in regards to specifics. But we’ve all sat here and commented on improvements that Honda should make to the pioneer line. We won’t know until they’re put through the paces in the real world. But it sounds like Honda hit the mark on providing the machine they intended with room on the platform to refine and improve. Realistically, I think it would probably be better suited for those of us that don’t “need” the flexibility of a utility vehicle that’s also a family cruiser. Hell, most of us have more in our pioneers than you can go out and buy a talon for and hit the trails stick with better performance. There is the reality of the usefulness of more power. But we’ve all been there where we want more. That’s why and how manufactures continue to sell more machines! I do think it will be better suited for most riders than what’s out there currently. But power to weight, it won’t be what some of the others offer. Again, it’s a Honda. It’s an all around machine vs that niche machine that performs better on the other 10% of trails some of the others do. Give them 10 years in the sport game and see where things are. For me it’s still between the YXZ and Talon R if I were buying a sport. Durability and performance will just have to be the test that only time can tell.

You sure have a way of talking a lot and saying nothing all at the same time

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Cuoutdoors its obvious we don’t see eye to eye on the i4wd and I’m not going to debate that but I sure as hell will agree with you on thier comments on it! Holy s*** those guys are dumb! Don’t mean to be an asshole to them but come on! If a company is going to allow me to ride a machine (any machine) I’m going to learn ALL I CAN about that machine. Especially if I’m going to do a review on it! Should’ve just said it had a different type of system and they didn’t have enough time to evaluate and move on.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Cuoutdoors its obvious we don’t see eye to eye on the i4wd and I’m not going to debate that but I sure as hell will agree with you on thier comments on it! Holy s*** those guys are dumb! Don’t mean to be an asshole to them but come on! If a company is going to allow me to ride a machine (any machine) I’m going to learn ALL I CAN about that machine. Especially if I’m going to do a review on it! Should’ve just said it had a different type of system and they didn’t have enough time to evaluate and move on.
Yea they sounded like a bunch of idiots for sure. Then they say "were gonna tell it like it is"....well you cant do that when you dont take the time to learn what it is you're talking about. I bet they can't explain can am's visco lock either and that's their main sponsor.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed - they just did not come across professional or if that they took the opportunity serious.

Now granted this was a live/Message in/Unscripted show that they do weekly - so it may always be this style but even they mentioned they had their biggest audience last night so the following weeks ratings will be the judge of how people liked their style.

ETA: this is my last piece on the Fisher review - will focus on Talon in thread - if Mods feel need to clean up maybe we can start another thread titled What Makes a Good SXS/product review

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yea they sounded like a bunch of idiots for sure. Then they say "were gonna tell it like it is"....well you cant do that when you dont take the time to learn what it is you're talking about. I bet they can't explain can am's visco lock either and that's their main sponsor.

I’ll bet your right! Dying to see a video because by thier own words they were basically whooping everyone there.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!