P1000 Jackal's P1000-5

Well just as well get this started off. For those of you that followed along on my Pioneer 500 build, I pretty much bought all my accessories before I even had the machine in hand and within 3 weeks of having it home it was all tricked out like I wanted.

Thanks to @HondaProKevin from Honda of Chattanooga I will pick up a Red Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe on 12/22 just before Christmas. :)

Stay tuned going to be a long and expensive 2 months. :D

Read more about this showcase item here...

Samiam1286

Samiam1286

Jul 24, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to go ahead and try and alternative method of carrying a spare tire, jack, and fuel can by using the Honda bed extender accessory as a platform. The Kolpin bar just wasn't going to work out for me with anyone in back seats. The way I did it still leaves me room for a cooler, etc behind the back two seats.

Mounting, I used two, 2"x 5/16" x 4" Ubolts for the fuel mount and spare carrier with nylock nuts. To get things snug cut 1.25" plastic conduit sections to snap over bed extender tubing wrapping pieces in gorilla tape for grip and finish protection.
In addition to the Bed extender used the Quickshot verticle spare carrier with built-in jack. Got it from RMATV.COM here:
Pro Armor Quickshot Universal Tire and Accessory Vertical Mount | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
I also went with the 3 gal rotopax and quick mount also from RMATV.COM.

I mounted everything up and went for a shakedown ride everything stayed put and held up to rough terrain just fine. If you,want full access the bed extender still quick releases with everything still mounted, heavy but it works for me. Here is what the finished product looks like. I will mount my chainsaw on the left opposite of the rotopax, tired of being turned around by downed trees.
View attachment 20127 View attachment 20128
View attachment 20129
How is this setup working for you so far? would another rotopax 2gl fit on the other side of the spare tire? think the spare tire could be lowered down to the next bar on the bed extender to allow easier access to the bed area, you know for cooler access? lol

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How is this setup working for you so far? would another rotopax 2gl fit on the other side of the spare tire? think the spare tire could be lowered down to the next bar on the bed extender to allow easier access to the bed area, you know for cooler access? lol
Working fine, yes a second rotopax will fit. I would not go lower on tire, get in a bad spot could drag, but if you are a high plains drifter no hills, rock on .

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I decided to go ahead and try and alternative method of carrying a spare tire, jack, and fuel can by using the Honda bed extender accessory as a platform. The Kolpin bar just wasn't going to work out for me with anyone in back seats. The way I did it still leaves me room for a cooler, etc behind the back two seats.

Mounting, I used two, 2"x 5/16" x 4" Ubolts for the fuel mount and spare carrier with nylock nuts. To get things snug cut 1.25" plastic conduit sections to snap over bed extender tubing wrapping pieces in gorilla tape for grip and finish protection.
In addition to the Bed extender used the Quickshot verticle spare carrier with built-in jack. Got it from RMATV.COM here:
Pro Armor Quickshot Universal Tire and Accessory Vertical Mount | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
I also went with the 3 gal rotopax and quick mount also from RMATV.COM.

I mounted everything up and went for a shakedown ride everything stayed put and held up to rough terrain just fine. If you,want full access the bed extender still quick releases with everything still mounted, heavy but it works for me. Here is what the finished product looks like. I will mount my chainsaw on the left opposite of the rotopax, tired of being turned around by downed trees.
View attachment 20127 View attachment 20128
View attachment 20129
Great idea! I think I'm gonna copy it.
That Pro Armor mount got terrible reviews on Amazon. Problems with durbility of velcro straps and some complained about the weight. It's listed as being 6.5lbs - so not sure what thats about.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Great idea! I think I'm gonna copy it.
That Pro Armor mount got terrible reviews on Amazon. Problems with durbility of velcro straps and some complained about the weight. It's listed as being 6.5lbs - so not sure what thats about.

I would say there is a "2" missing on that Amazon description, my guess is 27 lbs plus tire and wheel mine is about 70 lbs. total as mounted on the bed extender but everything is staying tight. Haven't had to mess with it after approximately 100 trail miles. If you don't put straps through the buckels correctly I could see it slipping loose.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Now that I am going on longer rides frequently got tired of the OEM setbelts rubbing on my neck / collar bone area and wanted something more comfortable.

Since I am completely happy with the BEARD 4 point restraints with automotive latch that I have in my P500, I added a pair to the front of my P1K5D. Keeping the center seat belt for car or booster seats for now.

Installation was very easy, on drivers side behind padded headrest is a hole already between the two mounting bolts. There I used a single 3/8" x 1.25" bolt to secure the upper harness mounts together to backside of headrest mount. On both sides used the OEM location and bolts for the bottom harness mounts. The passengers side top is a little different but simple drilled a 3/8" hole in the same place as on drivers side and used a 2.5" long 3/8" bolt due to the size and shape of the OEM metal headrest bracket.

These padded harnesses are VERY comfortable as well as keeping you put on rough terrain making the ride even more enjoyable. In case of rolling the machine these will keep you in place even if you end up on your roof.

Beard 4-Point Safety Harness with Automotive Buckle | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

20160818 183238

20160818 183253

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would like to see pic of mount points @JACKAL.
Figured bottoms just mount like standard. How about tops?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I would like to see pic of mount points @JACKAL.
Figured bottoms just mount like standard. How about tops?
On both sides loop around each side of the headrest one full round like this:
20160818 185845

Then bolt on like this for drivers side existing hole is already there just stick a bolt in it:
20160818 185858

Passengers side drill hole through both layers of bracket in same location and use the longer bolt as described:
20160818 185913

Sorry for reflection hard rear panel glass messing with camera.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Demonstration???
I don't do selfies, but do model SxS destruction on occasion up to you to have camera rolling.

I can tell you I had these exact restraints in a RZR 800 and held us in place injury and pain free until we stopped on our rooftop.

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement
Dan1960

Dan1960

Jul 10, 2016
White Pine, MI Upper Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so for the heatshield install I removed the seat bottom, seat back, and the plastic that spans the gap between the two.

All stripped down looks like this.
View attachment 19196

Fitted front and side edges leaving 2" material tucked down front and sides held by OEM push rivets. Trimmed back and passenger sides, left center full length to fold down in back to double thickness between engine and center seat.
View attachment 19197

All tucked in place.
View attachment 19198

Center plastic piece back in place.
View attachment 19199

Seat back in place.
View attachment 19200

Bottom back in all done.
View attachment 19201

To check sub transmission I cut out a 8"x8" flap then took a scrap piece 3" longer and wider glued to top of flap. Simply lift up to check oil level then let it rest on top seat holds firmly in place.

Material used was this:
ESP Low-E® EZ-Cool Car Insulation Kit(Includes 40 Sq. Ft Insulation, 10' Foil Tape): Heat and Sound Automotive Insulation For Your Car Restoration Projects - - Amazon.com

Enough for two machines for $33.

Nice Job, too bad you don't live by me I would pay you to do my machine. I did buy the piece that just goes under seat and up the back a little bit. It helps, but still get heat in center of seat. If Honda doesn't do something soon, I will certainly do what you did to mine. You might have said, but how does it work? Thank you, Dan

V

vitulla

Aug 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Nice Job, too bad you don't live by me I would pay you to do my machine. I did buy the piece that just goes under seat and up the back a little bit. It helps, but still get heat in center of seat. If Honda doesn't do something soon, I will certainly do what you did to mine. You might have said, but how does it work? Thank you, Dan
Hey Dan
I can't comment on how well it works, but my cousin has his and after his first ride we put that material under the seat and although it did help, it did not cute the problem. The heat was coming right through the back crack. I just got my 1000-5 Thursday night and right away tore it apart and did the entire seat and back as Jackal did. It will be a good comparison as I'm riding with my cousin on Sunday. I'll let you know but I'm hoping it does a lot better then just the bottom. The whole project took me about an hour and a half, that's taking my time and going really slow.
I ordered the same product that was shown in this thread of Amazon.
Hope that helps a little
Danny

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
On both sides loop around each side of the headrest one full round like this:
View attachment 20456

Then bolt on like this for drivers side existing hole is already there just stick a bolt in it:
View attachment 20458
Passengers side drill hole through both layers of bracket in same location and use the longer bolt as described:
View attachment 20459

Sorry for reflection hard rear panel glass messing with camera.
@JACKAL, those seat belts would be ideal for my wife, as she is always complaining about the passenger seat belt! However, the wrap around the bar prior to being bolted to headrest, one being higher than the other would concern me. For example, would the lower wrapped strap in the event of a front impact stop movement more quickly than the higher resulting in more force initially to the lower mounted strap contact point of your body? I would imagine straps mounted level would be safer! I'm not an expert by any means, but am interested in hearing comments by all.:)

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now that I am going on longer rides frequently got tired of the OEM setbelts rubbing on my neck / collar bone area and wanted something more comfortable.

Since I am completely happy with the BEARD 4 point restraints with automotive latch that I have in my P500, I added a pair to the front of my P1K5D. Keeping the center seat belt for car or booster seats for now.

Installation was very easy, on drivers side behind padded headrest is a hole already between the two mounting bolts. There I used a single 3/8" x 1.25" bolt to secure the upper harness mounts together to backside of headrest mount. On both sides used the OEM location and bolts for the bottom harness mounts. The passengers side top is a little different but simple drilled a 3/8" hole in the same place as on drivers side and used a 2.5" long 3/8" bolt due to the size and shape of the OEM metal headrest bracket.

These padded harnesses are VERY comfortable as well as keeping you put on rough terrain making the ride even more enjoyable. In case of rolling the machine these will keep you in place even if you end up on your roof.

View attachment 20450
View attachment 20451
Would like the model # of the belts you used. Are there tabs,and are there any adjustability for length at the ends?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It makes a noticeable difference it heat and noise reduction. The bilge fan helps even more so you can tell when it is in order off according to the wife. The hard plastic center between seats sections barely even gets warm after extensive riding where it would be very hot after only 30 minutes before. The only heat I now notice comes through the range select lever opening much like a hair dryer on low, I never noticed that before because of the heat from the seat which seems resolved now.

Reactions: pct
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JACKAL, those seat belts would be ideal for my wife, as she is always complaining about the passenger seat belt! However, the wrap around the bar prior to being bolted to headrest, one being higher than the other would concern me. For example, would the lower wrapped strap in the event of a front impact stop movement more quickly than the higher resulting in more force initially to the lower mounted strap contact point of your body? I would imagine straps mounted level would be safer! I'm not an expert by any means, but am interested in hearing comments by all.:)

The length of each belt is adjustable so the slack / tension is set once installed at mounting buckle ends. The individual rider quick adjust is the used for torso, and lap belt tightness. If the lap belt is properly adjusted it should hold or prevent verticle rider movement, the torso/ shoulder belts hold your upper body from fore and aft and side to side movement, with the padding they are comfortable. But feel free to devise your own upper mounting system for personal use.

For what it's worth here is how I mounted them in my P500 like you would want to, I'm just limited for now and the P1K doesn't have an easy way to do this while being mounted centered for each person.

P500 - Jackal's P500

Reactions: Tramguage1
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!