NEW BIGGER GAS TANK

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
To answer Lil-Steave, I do not necessarily recommend doing this as it could create a problem. I have been doing it for many years and four different machines with out any issues. On one UTV I was able to remove the tube altogether. But was unable to on the Talon.
But I only fill to that extreme when the ride dictates the need. When I get my new 10 gal. tank I will not make the mod in it.
After the the first 15 miles or so I am back to stock full at 7.2 gal. and that don't take very long time.

Should you decide to try it. You must be careful that you punch the hole in the tube below the where the filler neck attaches to the top of the fuel tank.
Should you miss you will be replacing the tank.
I would not recommend using a drill and if I where too do it, it would not be any larger than say 1/8" - 3/16". But I do not like the Idea of any material falling into my tank. As for the hot rod it would produce the best hole, but as mentioned might not be the best or safe way to go about it.
I make my vent hole using a 1/4" wide very sharp wood chisel. It pushes a hole in the tube with very little effort.
Once the hole is made, rotate the chisel several time to make the opening stay some what open.
Once the fuel is added to the tank and reaches the stock fuel full level, you will still need to add fuel at a reduced rate to allow the trapped air to escape.
As for any fuel vapor problem at the filler cap, I do not see how that could happen as the cap and filler neck is not vented there.

For me I like the 10 gal. Tank idea. And from the diagram and explanation by PaulF, It looks to be a pretty easy job to install the 10 gal. tank.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
As for any fuel vapor problem at the filler cap, I do not see how that could happen as the cap and filler neck is not vented there.
It does not happen at the cap. It happens when the fuel is sloshed around and/or the temperature rises enough for liquid fuel to travel out the vent line into the frame where the vent line terminates. It can and will fill the cab with a VERY strong fuel smell.

Another scenario would be a California model. They do not vent to atmosphere but rather into a carbon canister just in front of the shifter. If that gets full of fuel it can load up with fuel and flood the engine when the evap valve opens.

For the average rider, overfilling the tank is probably not a good idea.

Reactions: Biteme
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I just pre-ordered the 10 gallon replacement gas tank from Trail Tank for my Talon R. Pre-order for 10% off.

Very interested so please keep us updated HavasuDave on the install and what you think.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The Wildcat had an 8.8 gal tank in 2012, the XX is now 10 gal, and most all the big displacement machines are in the 10 gal realm. To roll the Talon out with a 7 gal tank, especially when they are hawking the Jackson Racing turbo as "factory endorsed", ranks right up there with the air intake design. Big swing and a miss IMHO.

J

JohnEykamp

Dec 26, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Would love to see pics of the filler tube with the hole in it! Not too wild about the $400 price tag on the bigger tank either!

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Would love to see pics of the filler tube with the hole in it! Not too wild about the $400 price tag on the bigger tank either!

I haven't put a hole in the filler tube, I just removed it. It can easily go back in.

Tube in place

IMG 20200527 214008992 HDR XL

Tube removed

IMG 20200527 214028429 HDR XL

Tube

IMG 20200527 214145763 HDR XL

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lol, I got it out, not so nicely as you did😝 Mine is not going back in, it's going to the trash! Thank you so much for posting the pictures, that thing has been driving me crazy every time I fill up👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻😎
So it was a relatively short trip then? :p

• Haha
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
How did you get it out?

Sorry, I know it's too late for you, but for the benefit of others... I used a sharp pick between the plastic tube and the metal sleeve in the filler neck to pry it a little. I don't think this next step is necessary, but I didn't know it at the time... I used a sharp utility knife and started to vertically cut the tube from the top. I saw that I now had something to grab onto so I grabbed the plastic tube with a pair of needle nose pliers and with a twist and a pull it came right out. At this point it would be easy to drill a vent hole in the tube or leave it out. Either way there is a chance of excessive fuel venting as Paul F previously mentioned, which will result in an unwanted fuel smell in your cab. I plan on looking into extending the fuel tank vent, just haven't gotten around to it.

Those strong fumes may have unwanted (or wanted) effects.

12a88e1acb1fc17167e7172dfc0a6d16

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone know exactly where the end of the gas tank vent is? The drawing Paul posted isn't clear to me.

I krfHbKD XL

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
A Type (aka 49 states) vents into the frame in the tunnel just in front of the shifter...

AC Type (aka California) have an Evap canister and a purge valve...

AC Type also runs into the frame at the same place. This is where the carbon canister gets any needed air but if you overwhelm the canister, fuel will come out here too and fill the cab with vapors..

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welp, I removed the inlet tube. It didn't fare as well as Lil_Steve's. I used a pick and small screwdriver to bend an edge inward, grabbed with a needle nose and pulled - no love. So I forced the needle nose deeper onto the tube and twisted to reduce the diameter, it took a few attempts before if finally 'unplugged' (there's a small retaining ridge, like a permanent circlip that keeps it in). Mine was 'stubborn'. I'll be back shortly complaining about the fuel smell. 🤭

My thoughts are that it's only 'different' for the first (extra) gallon(?), after that it's stock again. If it stinks too bad I'll extend the vent further forward, maybe by the radiator overflow tank. But I've been syphoning gas my entire life (lawnmowers, snow blowers, dirt bikes, boat tanks, etc) so it'll have to be pretty bad.

Last edited:
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welp, I removed the inlet tube. It didn't fare as well as Lil_Steve's. I used a pick and small screwdriver to bend an edge inward, grabbed with a needle nose and pulled - no love. So I forced the needle nose deeper onto the tube and twisted to reduce the diameter, it took a few attempts before if finally 'unplugged' (there's a small retaining ridge, like a permanent circlip that keeps it in. Mine was 'stubborn'. I'll be back shortly complaining about the fuel smell. 🤭

My thoughts are that it's only 'different' for the first (extra) gallon(?), after that it's stock again. If it stinks too bad I'll extend the vent further forward, maybe by the radiator overflow tank. But I've been syphoning gas my entire life (lawnmowers, snow blowers, dirt bikes, boat tanks, etc) so it'll have to be pretty bad.
Took my first ride today with the inlet tube removed. First it was pure joy filling that right to the brim, no gas spitting back at me. Riding Williams so 6700’ to start. No fuel smell full. Now after about 30 miles going over some rough ground I did get a little fuel smell. It went away after a while. So my opinion at this point. I can deal with occasional fuel smell,in trade for the ease of fueling. Don’t know how much more fuel I can take, fueling from the 5th wheel toy hauler.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!