elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I will be selling my 1000-5 fairly soon. I bought it because of the 5 seat ability in a short package. My riding does not now include 5 folks so I am looking to get something a little smaller and set up for 2 while maintaining a dump bed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

JTW

I will be selling my 1000-5 fairly soon. I bought it because of the 5 seat ability in a short package. My riding does not now include 5 folks so I am looking to get something a little smaller and set up for 2 while maintaining a dump bed

So what are you leaning towards?

Reactions: sharp and HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500

What all are you looking at?? I really wish can am would come out with a midsize defender. Surprised they haven’t to compete with the midsize rangers. What I really wish is Honda would fix the pioneer 500 with a dump bed and front and rear selectable lockers and a small increase in power. That’s what I truly would like to see. Keep posted on your search though!

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So what are you leaning towards?

Struggling with it quite honestly. Don’t really love any of the options. Everything is belt drive, so considering Commander and Wolverine X2 ..... I cannot bring myself to look at po-po despite the potential for a screaming deal through work affiliations.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love my P5. Sure I wish it had more leg room, but considering I went from a Kubota 900 on it's last legs to the p5 and I still get excited, even on the home trails. Roomazoomzoom!!!
Sure I'd love a larger machine, but for now I'm content with what I have. We'll wait and see what the claw does....Otherwise if someone presents me with a deal I cannot refuse.....We'll see.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Struggling with it quite honestly. Don’t really love any of the options. Everything is belt drive, so considering Commander and Wolverine X2 ..... I cannot bring myself to look at po-po despite the potential for a screaming deal through work affiliations.

Yeah the market is flooded and crowded. No one really makes the perfect machine. There’s a huge hole in the market for a smaller 50-56” wide machine a perfect blend of work/play 600-800cc range dumping bed option for bench or bucket seat front and rear selectable lockers able to cruise 50 mph comfortably. Adequate suspension travel. And of coarse I’d like the pioneer 500 transmission. But the market is clearly missing the niche for this class machine. Good luck on your choice. Commanders are nice but I hear they are super hot in the cockpit. I do like the new Wolverine X2. Honestly the nicest I’ve seen is the 2019 ranger xp 1000 ride command North Star. Is a sweet ass machine regardless of popo rep. And if you can score a good I mean a GOOD deal on a Polaris why not give it a shot? I came very close to a midsize ranger 570. I feel your pain though if your shopping

J

JTW

Yeah.. I don’t think the wolverine is a big enough jump towards the sport side to justify the change. (Have you done the Fox shocks upgrade to the Honda?) I’ve heard mixed reviews on the commander. I think the only thing that really has the cross utility use but actually leans more sport is the general. Otherwise you have to go more sport machine than crossover/utility.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

If you go x2 it’s got 10year belt and if you stick with yamalube you can get 20 year/100000 mile engine warranty.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I just have to put in my 2 cents here ,we had the 500 for 3 1/2 trouble free years and over4000 miles we loved it but with the riding we do we were looking for comfort and a little more speed,I liked the paddle shift but my wife didn't really care for it when driving, The group we ride with has 2 commanders ,1 pioneer 1000-4,1 rzr ,1 ranger and 1 general, then there was us in the 500 ,I drove them all for a day to compare be fore we decided on what we would get and the conclusion we came to was the 1000 was quietest but didn't really care for the shifting, commanders are hot and loud inside, general was nice but twice what we wanted to spend,rxr rode the smoothest but it was a Polaris, we decided we wanted bucket seats so the pioneer was out, went and drove a can am maverick trail and we were sold, It listed for $10999 which was the right price range for us, priced it out with $ 2000.00 in options, the dealer asked what I had to trade I told him, he asked if I had any pictures of it,I showed him some with and without the back seats, he responded by saying $5000.00 to trade, my mouth apparently dropped ,I couldn't believe he was giving me 8000.00 for mine, then he quick said OK 4000.00 but that's it ,so it was a nobrainer for me to trade, so far we are really liking it, not crazy about the belt drive but I figure $140.00 and 15 min to put it in every couple years I can live with it,we have a little over 1000 miles on it so far and no issues at all, the engine is behind us so the heat is far less than the 500 was and it is quitter , in fact those that had the RZR traded on one identical to ours last month, they think it rides better than the RZR did,I hope to someday have a Honda again but I don't see it being in our price range with bucket seats.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I too need to toss in my .02 in on this topic as well, LOL… The UTV market is growing and expanding with many different models, i.e., trail, mud, work, etc., and believe that speaks to anyone considering a UTV. I do believe, however, that “speaking to someone” gets them to purchase a UTV without thinking downstream clearly, e.g., amount of actual use, etc. The majority of majority of what I see for sale around this area are those wanting out of the “investment/expense”.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I just have to put in my 2 cents here ,we had the 500 for 3 1/2 trouble free years and over4000 miles we loved it but with the riding we do we were looking for comfort and a little more speed,I liked the paddle shift but my wife didn't really care for it when driving, The group we ride with has 2 commanders ,1 pioneer 1000-4,1 rzr ,1 ranger and 1 general, then there was us in the 500 ,I drove them all for a day to compare be fore we decided on what we would get and the conclusion we came to was the 1000 was quietest but didn't really care for the shifting, commanders are hot and loud inside, general was nice but twice what we wanted to spend,rxr rode the smoothest but it was a Polaris, we decided we wanted bucket seats so the pioneer was out, went and drove a can am maverick trail and we were sold, It listed for $10999 which was the right price range for us, priced it out with $ 2000.00 in options, the dealer asked what I had to trade I told him, he asked if I had any pictures of it,I showed him some with and without the back seats, he responded by saying $5000.00 to trade, my mouth apparently dropped ,I couldn't believe he was giving me 8000.00 for mine, then he quick said OK 4000.00 but that's it ,so it was a nobrainer for me to trade, so far we are really liking it, not crazy about the belt drive but I figure $140.00 and 15 min to put it in every couple years I can live with it,we have a little over 1000 miles on it so far and no issues at all, the engine is behind us so the heat is far less than the 500 was and it is quitter , in fact those that had the RZR traded on one identical to ours last month, they think it rides better than the RZR did,I hope to someday have a Honda again but I don't see it being in our price range with bucket seats.

That’s awesome. And good that you were able to really get a feel for the different machines like you were. Most people don’t have that opportunity. I still have my little pioneer 500. So far it suits me pretty well. Everyone has different needs and wants based on how they ride and where they ride. For me, as I said before, the perfect machine, or near perfect really just isn’t out there at this time. I ride in a lot of thick woods and dense forest. So the trails are tight. I need something 50” wide to say up to but no more than 56”-57” wide and not to long. Right now bench seat is what I prefer for the fact my wife and our little boy can hope in and ride around our acreage. I go to a lot of fishing holes deer stands and camping so the utility side is important for me plus I do work around the house and property. But then I need some sportiness when I’m riding the open river bottoms and flat lands like to kick the dust up a bit then. I prefer the Honda geared transmission as opposed to a belt, certainly Polaris belt system. I just haven’t found the perfect machine yet. The P5 is so close it wouldn’t take Honda much to transform it. I like the can am defenders and if they ever make a midsize one (surprised they haven’t to compete with midsize rangers) I’d probably really consider a midsize defender. I don’t know. It’s frustrating sometimes. Until then I’ll just keep loving and riding my P5.

Reactions: iowaguy and sharp
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have owned and drove both a Polaris Ranger 570 and my Honda P500 on the same trails multiple times and hands down (my opinion), the overall ride is far superior on the Polaris as well as the fit/finish, i.e., the way windshield mounts (front/back), storage and actually miss not having a “bed” on the rear. I personally never experienced a failure on my Polaris. So, why did I go back to Honda? Even though, I never experienced a problem with my Polaris, I’m sold on the undeniable reliability of Honda and like the feeling of confidence it’s going to start/perform as expected.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I have owned and drove both a Polaris Ranger 570 and my Honda P500 on the same trails multiple times and hands down (my opinion), the overall ride is far superior on the Polaris as well as the fit/finish, i.e., the way windshield mounts (front/back), storage and actually miss not having a “bed” on the rear. I personally never experienced a failure on my Polaris. So, why did I go back to Honda? Even though, I never experienced a problem with my Polaris, I’m sold on the undeniable reliability of Honda and like the feeling of confidence it’s going to start/perform as expected.

Exactly. I mean the five letters, H O N D A do represent something. That’s why I came to Honda pioneer 500. I know it will or can/should out last me. I grew up on Honda riding a XR 80 and before that a 70cc three wheeler that we still have and my son will ride soon. And then there was the fried and true beloved trx 300 4x4 atv what a beast it was and still is if you can find one. As with anything mechanical and powered by a engine/motor you can’t abuse them and expect it to hold up and last. You have to take care of them. I’m glad to know you had no issues with your ranger 570 cause if I’m honest I do really love the midsize 570. I can’t help it. They look awesome sized about right etc. I’ve just always been scared of what’s under the skin so to speak on the Polaris. You can’t deny Honda’s reliability though. They might not be the flashiest or latest greatest but you know it will start and run from day one to year 30 and beyond 9/10 times and usually 10/10 times.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Exactly. I mean the five letters, H O N D A do represent something. That’s why I came to Honda pioneer 500. I know it will or can/should out last me. I grew up on Honda riding a XR 80 and before that a 70cc three wheeler that we still have and my son will ride soon. And then there was the fried and true beloved trx 300 4x4 atv what a beast it was and still is if you can find one. As with anything mechanical and powered by a engine/motor you can’t abuse them and expect it to hold up and last. You have to take care of them. I’m glad to know you had no issues with your ranger 570 cause if I’m honest I do really love the midsize 570. I can’t help it. They look awesome sized about right etc. I’ve just always been scared of what’s under the skin so to speak on the Polaris. You can’t deny Honda’s reliability though. They might not be the flashiest or latest greatest but you know it will start and run from day one to year 30 and beyond 9/10 times and usually 10/10 times.

I never put more than 200 miles on my Polaris before selling it and it was a nice unit. However, when I look at my local craigslist, you can find the machines I and many of you grew up on, the 1980's Honda ATC's, Honda XR's, etc. So, 30-40 year old machines selling for what they likely costed new and that didn't happen by chance.........

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I never put more than 200 miles on my Polaris before selling it and it was a nice unit. However, when I look at my local craigslist, you can find the machines I and many of you grew up on, the 1980's Honda ATC's, Honda XR's, etc. So, 30-40 year old machines selling for what they likely costed new and that didn't happen by chance.........

Exactly. I’m not sure any other manufacturer can take such a claim and bragging rights when it comes to standing the test of time such as Honda has. Maybe Suzuki but they’ve kinda fallen off last 10 years or so. Sure hate they’ve never made a side x side.

Reactions: sharp
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Exactly. I’m not sure any other manufacturer can take such a claim and bragging rights when it comes to standing the test of time such as Honda has. Maybe Suzuki but they’ve kinda fallen off last 10 years or so. Sure hate they’ve never made a side x side.

Agreed. I had both an original King Quad and a TRX300. Miss them both. The king quad was the unimog of ATVs and possibly more reliable than the TRX300 other than I seemed to always be able to get the oil temp light to come on without even trying.

Somewhere I have a pic of me, a buddy, two ~200 pound whitetail bucks, and 2xhunting gear all on the King Quad coming up a slippery and steep logging road near Skyline Mtn, AL .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and HP5NC

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!