People selling their pioneers...

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Agreed. I had both an original King Quad and a TRX300. Miss them both. The king quad was the unimog of ATVs and possibly more reliable than the TRX300 other than I seemed to always be able to get the oil temp light to come on without even trying.

Somewhere I have a pic of me, a buddy, two ~200 pound whitetail bucks, and 2xhunting gear all on the King Quad coming up a slippery and steep logging road near Skyline Mtn, AL .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome. Love hearing those old stories! My father inlaw still has a kingquad 300. It was so far ahead in time back then. Had that sub sub transmission high low super lower diff lock etc. far advanced ahead of the time back then. Sometimes I get so frustrated with SxS not having that truly perfect matched machine for my needs out there that I debate all the time going back to quads. And if I did I’d get a rubicon or kingquad 500 or 750 without hesitation. But I got tired of riding in the elements and that’s what brought me over to the utv side of things.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Bought mine based on watching MuddMan torture a P5 to lengths that I never will and he couldn't kill it. Then there's the Honda test of time thing. :D

I can see the pioneer 500 being around a long time for Honda. I just hope they don’t sit stagnant on this current model and not make the improvements that are needed to it overtime to make it better.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I'm happy as a pig in chit with my Pioneer 1000-3. It's not for sale. I will own it until I get another dependable Honda.

If I weren’t so conscious of size of the machine. I’d love to have a 1000-3.

Reactions: sharp and TimG
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That’s awesome. Love hearing those old stories! My father inlaw still has a kingquad 300. It was so far ahead in time back then. Had that sub sub transmission high low super lower diff lock etc. far advanced ahead of the time back then. Sometimes I get so frustrated with SxS not having that truly perfect matched machine for my needs out there that I debate all the time going back to quads. And if I did I’d get a rubicon or kingquad 500 or 750 without hesitation. But I got tired of riding in the elements and that’s what brought me over to the utv side of things.

When I got rid of the TRX and the King Quad I got a first year Foreman Rubicon with the hydrostatic transmission. That was also bullet proof

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
When I got rid of the TRX and the King Quad I got a first year Foreman Rubicon with the hydrostatic transmission. That was also bullet proof

Absolutely. Heck you could stake that claim for the majority of Honda’s atv through the years. Never were fancy or flashy until recently with the atvs and the pioneer lineup. And they still are fancy or overly flashy to this day but more so than ever. Honestly there about as flashy as one need be and that’s part of why they last forever. I mean seriously how much could really go wrong on the pioneer 500. And if it did go wrong it’s pretty simple in design.

Reactions: TimG and sharp
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I used to like to trade around and have owned almost every brand. Honda and Yamaha have been superior machines for me. I also had a king quad 700 that was very dependable. I had a Kawasaki that was decent then I went to the dark side . For the first year it was great second year I think I held the record for axle changing speed then primary drive clutch and downhill from there. I will walk before I ownanother polaris. Sold it bought a new p 500 this year it was a great machine but not for me. Traded in on 700 deluxe I am more than pleased with it. I got over shopping by horsepower awhile back and am more than happy with what works for me so l plan on keeping my Honda for a long time.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I used to like to trade around and have owned almost every brand. Honda and Yamaha have been superior machines for me. I also had a king quad 700 that was very dependable. I had a Kawasaki that was decent then I went to the dark side . For the first year it was great second year I think I held the record for axle changing speed then primary drive clutch and downhill from there. I will walk before I ownanother polaris. Sold it bought a new p 500 this year it was a great machine but not for me. Traded in on 700 deluxe I am more than pleased with it. I got over shopping by horsepower awhile back and am more than happy with what works for me so l plan on keeping my Honda for a long time.

Shopping horsepower is the wrong way to shop IMO. It will lead a buyer wrong more times than not. The horsepower game is all about marketing I feel like. I really like the 700 deluxe but I don’t know a ton about them. If I could stay off the 500 forum long enough to go over to the 700 side and read and research them to learn more about them I’d probably fall in love with one. I feel like if I ever part from my P5 I’m gonna haven to just get over the size of these UTVs. If you could take a pioneer 1000 or say something like a can am defender and just scale it down to the size of the P5 or a tad bigger it would be PEEFECT. But the side x side markets been steaming rolling now for what at least 10 years? I just don’t think I’ll have what I truly find ideal to hit the market. So I need to learn to shop these 60” wide machines I guess.

Reactions: Backwoods
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any thing you buy you will want to personalize to get it like you want it. You just have to make sure you buy the right platform to start with. Plus it's satisfying to do mods and like them when you are done.

L

Lenny

Oct 16, 2015
Ownership

1. 520
Interestingly enough, i agree with just about all of your comments about the 500 except the power part. Maybe its just because i wasn't expecting much...or because I'm still rolling on stock tires, but i have been pleasantly surprised by the 500's engine. Always seems to have some peddle left. This engine must be very nice on the Foreman ATV's.

EDIT: Or maybe i just ride like a grandpa and don't know what real power is?
I agree with you. It has enough for me. I didn't want a hot rod. It's a great woods machine and that is what I wanted

Reactions: sharp and HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with you. It has enough for me. I didn't want a hot rod. It's a great woods machine and that is what I wanted

I have to agree the P5 certainly a monster at tackling the woods. I’ve been most impressed with its turning radius. My Kymco UXV 450 you’d have to make multi point turns and cranks on the wheel. It just didn’t turn sharp at all. But not the little P5.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I’m wondering what woods y’all are riding... because in Kentucky the p500 just sucked. Just a glorified golf cart. Be fiiiine grocery getter if you have all day to make the trip.

C

Chooglin

I’m wondering what woods y’all are riding... because in Kentucky the p500 just sucked. Just a glorified golf cart. Be fiiiine grocery getter if you have all day to make the trip.
@JTW you never had your 500 long enough to experience some of the new stuff that has come out for them.

The 500 can become a overall good machine but it comes at a great expense. By the time you put the $ into the 500 to make it a worthy machine , you could have bought a better machine for the same amount of money.

Ok all don't laugh at this , but Cfmoto is starting to gain some traction in the sxs market. Not sure if I would be comfortable purchasing one just yet , but I have to say , they are tempting.

CFMOTO ZFORCE Side x SIde Specifications + Features | CFMOTO USA

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500

Same woods as you’ll find in NC that you’ll see in Kentucky. It’s no secret @JTW that you hate/hated your P5 I assume you burned it set it on fire and didn’t bother selling or trading lol. It’s all good. That’s why I started this thread seeing so many parting ways with their pioneer be it the 500 700 or 1000. But if your gonna trash one of the pioneers that’s ok and your opinion but at least give some details as to why the P5 sucked so bad in the harsh Kentucky woods. We’d like to know or at least I would. Cheers

Reactions: sharp and JTW
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
@JTW you never had your 500 long enough to experience some of the new stuff that has come out for them.

The 500 can become a overall good machine but it comes at a great expense. By the time you put the $ into the 500 to make it a worthy machine , you could have bought a better machine for the same amount of money.

Ok all don't laugh at this , but Cfmoto is starting to gain some traction in the utv market. Not sure if I would be comfortable purchasing one just yet , but I have to say , they are tempting.

CFMOTO ZFORCE Side x SIde Specifications + Features | CFMOTO USA

I agree choog. The P5 is a good little machine as is if you use it as Honda intended the way they spec it. And if you spend the money you can transform it to accomplish whatever you want! I love mine.

Cfmoto are freaking nice man. I have a couple good dealers around. When I was shopping to trade my Kymco there were a handful I was insterested in. Just to list a couple obviously the P5, but the popo midsize 500/570, another Kymco the 700, John Deere midsize XUV 590i (sweet little machine first utv I ever tested way back when I started looking to switch from atvs. Wished I’d of bought one to start with sometimes) pioneer 700, can am commander, and lastly CFmoto Uforce 500.

CFmoto seems to be excellent value and quality and come pretty well outfitted. I tested one at the dealer. It handled well seats were comfy and felt peppy enough in the 500. I like it in camo as well as black. Dang it @Chooglin don’t make my wheels start turning lol. I started this thread just curious why folks seem to be parting from their pioneers and sure enough if I’m honest my wheels naturally do turn...hmm IF I got rid of the P5 (which I’m not I do love it) what would I get.

I wish more people would seriously at least give Kymco a look. In 2018 when the redid the atv and SxS model lineup they really stepped up a notch. Side X Sides - KYMCO

The 450 I had was a excellent, awesome machine. If you ask me what’s the best value in the industry I has to be the Kymco UXV 700 base model. You get a lot for 8999. In 18’ on the 700 the upgraded the seats to real bucket seats instead of the old “tractor bucket” seat. Arched a arms standard upgraded suspension etc. the prime and hunter editions are sweet and a good value IMO. I can say this my Honda dealer where I got my P5 sells Kymco as well. I watched with my own eye a drag race in the parking lot pioneer 700 deluxe (17’ model) vs UXV 700 (17’ model) the Kymco beat it by one and quarter lengths. The salesman said it’s beat the pioneer 700 every time they’ve lined them up. That 695cc single is very torque. In fact the new mule pro mx is using this same engine. Anyway getting off topic.

Reactions: Chooglin
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
When I see a 50” or less trail, I see that as a challenge. We've popped outta some trails that was like popping out of a vagina they were so tight. Scrub brush scratches buff out. Hit them single tracks!
There’s always a way in and usually a way out lol. Sometimes you use the front bumper to help improvise.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Might just be cuz they're ugly as sh**! A stock P5 is possibly the ugliest sxs ever made and the stock P1-5 looks like a milk crate on wheels.

Who’s thirsty :eek:
38B7685D 3810 4C8E AC16 32A1DC25035A

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I recently sold my 7oo and we miss lil blue but she has a new family 3 miles from winrock. Lol. There were 2 reason for selling it.
1. Which was the biggest one and to free up our budget with us purchasing land, building our house and my shop all at once.
2. I really wanted a 1ooo-5 when I bought the 7oo in Sept of 2015 but I was going to be Jan of 2016 before the dealership had any 1k's.

My buddy went and bought a 1k after me buying the 7oo and man what a difference. There's no comparison between the two other than a dump bed and being a Honda.
My wife and I BOTH agree that we WILL have Honda back in the family weather it be waiting on a Talon 4 or just settle for the 1ooo-5 but we want to get smaller bills out of the way first. My wife enjoys riding more than I do. My wife planned the high school prom around us riding with 2018 Takeover so yea she wants a other sxs.
Trying to do the adult thing. Lol. Kinda sucks being an adult and making adult decisions sometimes.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I recently sold my 7oo and we miss lil blue but she has a new family 3 miles from winrock. Lol. There were 2 reason for selling it.
1. Which was the biggest one and to free up our budget with us purchasing land, building our house and my shop all at once.
2. I really wanted a 1ooo-5 when I bought the 7oo in Sept of 2015 but I was going to be Jan of 2016 before the dealership had any 1k's.

My buddy went and bought a 1k after me buying the 7oo and man what a difference. There's no comparison between the two other than a dump bed and being a Honda.
My wife and I BOTH agree that we WILL have Honda back in the family weather it be waiting on a Talon 4 or just settle for the 1ooo-5 but we want to get smaller bills out of the way first. My wife enjoys riding more than I do. My wife planned the high school prom around us riding with 2018 Takeover so yea she wants a other sxs.
Trying to do the adult thing. Lol. Kinda sucks being an adult and making adult decisions sometimes.

Man I can totally relate. Adult life definitely gets in the way. Shoot I bought my pioneer 500 in April I think it was and I haven’t even gotten the first service completed yet. It’s almost time though. Couple more hours and miles to go. Having a 15 month old and a second on the way coming in June and trying to get the house updated hasn’t left a lot of time to ride the property. But that’s ok. I plan on keeping this Honda forever and I know it will last. The payment ain’t bad on it. So it sitting some more than the wheels are rolling right now ain’t hurting nothing. I have been buIdling on it when the wife lets me lol. Got the roof when I purchased it which got me a chewing. But have since added winch and Honda hard coat tip out windshield and a usb dual port charger with volt meter. Completely happy with mine. Everyone has a life and different reasons for purchase or selling.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!