DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep a midsize P1K or defender, Viking etc. no more than 56” wide. Capable of playing and working equally. Doesn’t have to be a super sport either. 600-800ish or so cc is plenty. There’s a HUGE hole in the market for it too.
I've been saying it for years. Apparently you and are are the only ones...

Reactions: sharp and HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Over on the talon page official pics out. Imagine gonna be a whole lot of pioneers for sale and popo an can am too LOL

Reactions: DG Rider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yep a midsize P1K or defender, Viking etc. no more than 56” wide. Capable of playing and working equally. Doesn’t have to be a super sport either. 600-800ish or so cc is plenty. There’s a HUGE hole in the market for it too.
Need a 50” that’ll auto widen

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Over on the talon page official pics out. Imagine gonna be a whole lot of pioneers for sale and popo an can am too LOL
A whole lot of Pioneers out there that only ever see one person in it. Lot of people killing off the back seats even. Trades for the weekend buddy rides are imminent, those with work or family that attend will remain.
Don’t think it’ll bite hard into Popo or Canned ham too bad for awhile.

Last edited:
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
A whole lot of Pioneers out there that only ever see one person in it. Lot of people killing off the back seats even. Trades for the weekend buddy rides are imminent, those with work or family that attend will remain.
Don’t think it’ll bite too hard into Popo or Canned ham too bad for awhile.

Yea I work all the time an raising a 15 month old and second on the way. I’m glad Honda’s bringing the talon out though. They need it. And I need my rec/utility crossover no more than 56” wide from Honda!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

The problem is suspension... 60+” just works a lot better with everything.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
The problem is suspension... 60+” just works a lot better with everything.

You’re in Kentucky...you mean to tell me you really need 15 or more inches of travel??? Idk man. I get what your saying. 60” is easier to engineer a suspension setup on these machine. But I just don’t need all that travel. I mean if I lived out west and in the land of the dunes then sure give me all the travel you can get.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You’re in Kentucky...you mean to tell me you really need 15 or more inches of travel???
Mostly he needs wheels on the roof.

OH...i kill myself!!!

If Popo and Textron can get 8-9" out of a 50" machine, i don't see why Honda can't do that with a 56" machine, and that's plenty for its intended purpose.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Mostly he needs wheels on the roof.

OH...i kill myself!!!

If Popo and Textron can get 8-9" out of a 50" machine, i don't see why Honda can't do that with a 56" machine, and that's plenty for its intended purpose.

^ Exactly.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

You’re in Kentucky...you mean to tell me you really need 15 or more inches of travel??? Idk man. I get what your saying. 60” is easier to engineer a suspension setup on these machine. But I just don’t need all that travel. I mean if I lived out west and in the land of the dunes then sure give me all the travel you can get.
Need??? No... But want.. Why not? I can push a pioneer to its limits and it’ll do fine but it’s nowhere near as harsh on a machine when you’re only pushing it to half it’s limits. The ride would be sooo much better with more travel. And really it comes down to how people ride. Why be so caught up on a 56” machine? The trails widened from the 4 Wheeler day’s. They will again. If you want mobility in the woods then an atv is a better route. There is a reason these things keep getting bigger. Otherwise why not just buy a rhino?

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Need??? No... But want.. Why not? I can push a pioneer to its limits and it’ll do fine but it’s nowhere near as harsh on a machine when you’re only pushing it to half it’s limits. The ride would be sooo much better with more travel. And really it comes down to how people ride. Why be so caught up on a 56” machine? The trails widened from the 4 Wheeler day’s. They will again. If you want mobility in the woods then an atv is a better route. There is a reason these things keep getting bigger. Otherwise why not just buy a rhino?

To each their own. I have no problem with these machine that are MASSIVE. But why not just get a Jeep or hard body Nissan or yota and make you a Baja machine. Sounds like you need one 8 feet wide and 20 feet long. Lol My P5 has way more mobility than any of my previous atvs I had. Atvs have gotten just as big as these SxS are in contrast. Look I don’t have any issue with them. The problem I have is these manufacturers are totally ignoring a category and group of folks who want a machine that is multipurpose. Not massive in size something that can do equal work and play that’s all. Just engineer it and manufacture it already!

Reactions: 70Bones
J

JTW

To each their own. I have no problem with these machine that are MASSIVE. But why not just get a Jeep or hard body Nissan or yota and make you a Baja machine. Sounds like you need one 8 feet wide and 20 feet long. Lol My P5 has way more mobility than any of my previous atvs I had. Atvs have gotten just as big as these SxS are in contrast. Look I don’t have any issue with them. The problem I have is these manufacturers are totally ignoring a category and group of folks who want a machine that is multipurpose. Not massive in size something that can do equal work and play that’s all. Just engineer it and manufacture it already!
They have been.. that’s exactly what the Yamaha rhino was. What the wolverine is. I get what you’re saying but why recreate the wheel? There are multiple machines that will do exactly what you want and are asking for. In fact... many would argue that’s all that Honda has made thus far.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
They have been.. that’s exactly what the Yamaha rhino was. What the wolverine is. I get what you’re saying but why recreate the wheel? There are multiple machines that will do exactly what you want and are asking for. In fact... many would argue that’s all that Honda has made thus far.

I can respect that. But size... most are to wide other than my P5. If the X2 were 2-3 inches narrower then this convo probably be over.

J

JTW

I can respect that. But size... most are to wide other than my P5. If the X2 were 2-3 inches narrower then this convo probably be over.
But why do you think you need a 56” machine? A P1000 with powersteering will get you around just as well! You’re hung up on something that really doesn’t matter. I’ve been there... I know what I’m talkkng about. I also, have Jeeps, ATVs, and dirtbikes. I made the same argument about Jeeps when I bought the p500. And I was wrong. There is no comparison in the woods!

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
But why do you think you need a 56” machine? A P1000 with powersteering will get you around just as well! You’re hung up on something that really doesn’t matter. I’ve been there... I know what I’m talkkng about. I also, have Jeeps, ATVs, and dirtbikes. I made the same argument about Jeeps when I bought the p500. And I was wrong. There is no comparison in the woods!

I think I just answered this same question for ya over on the talon thread. But I hear you man

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think I just answered this same question for ya over on the talon thread. But I hear you man
We started with the 700 banging against trees widening the trails. We added wider wheels and started getting stuck a lot. I was worried when we got the 1000 that we’d have issues but even being wider then 700 with wheels it was back to banging it’s way through. That’s where I learned to have a machine as wide as the tires. They get through better and break way less s***. At some point to wide is to wide but you’d be surprised at what a Pioneer will go through if you’re but afraid of scratches.

K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am talking about the Original R-spec.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Don’t think it’ll bite hard into Popo or Canned ham too bad for awhile.
This is me, besides riding around the neighborhood its just me riding around in a 5 seater. not what i expected when i got it. The pioneer is still top of the class in the 5 seater, or 4+ and short wheelbase IMO, but for a single rider, I dont think its what id pick.

And im gonna have to agree with @JTW on the 60"+ machine. Plenty of people in my area ride 72" machines and do fine. Wider = Stability. when crawling through ruts going up a mountain, suspension travel and width are what keeps you on all 4 wheels. 60" seems narrow now to me. Ideally im wanting 64-68"

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
people who haven't driven the different width and other spec machines get to hung up on the certain inch difference in this or that. I had a rhino for years and that went down all the quad trails. it goes down the quad trails because the big quads the same length about ten feet, all we have is tight woods that was cut for quads. it was 55wide, and like I thought the 700-2 60 wide is not felt or any different. the 700 I bought because it was more like a new rhino than the wolverine, I wanted some more work oriented and the straighter bench seat. the turning is tighter too nice. we do have a few of the narrow utvs, just seem tippy, even the 1000 can am, you aren't safely power sliding a utv like a quad so, like he said big bumpers so you don't care is the best investment, I had a big diamond plate one. that's the only way you can pick up speed, engine doesn't matter as much as not caring about hitting things on quad trails. also we ride a bunch of rough area, wider you need for travel is worth the ride. the length seems more important.
I never liked the wet clutch either, if I bought another yamaha first thing I would do is dry rollers. the kawi clutch was way better for mud, simple and no grease any where.

also would never buy any of the other utvs(want the same money for unproven machines with sketchy parts network), artic and popo have proven unreliable especially In mud, only machines I would buy would be kawi, Yamaha or Honda. kawi has better clutches and suspention on the old teryx, but I heard they went to Yamaha setup for hr reasons probably, a downgrade really. 800 is just to big for me mule might be a good choice for some

Reactions: HP5NC and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!