BOX1

People selling their pioneers...

J

JTW

This is me, besides riding around the neighborhood its just me riding around in a 5 seater. not what i expected when i got it. The pioneer is still top of the class in the 5 seater, or 4+ and short wheelbase IMO, but for a single rider, I dont think its what id pick.

And im gonna have to agree with @JTW on the 60"+ machine. Plenty of people in my area ride 72" machines and do fine. Wider = Stability. when crawling through ruts going up a mountain, suspension travel and width are what keeps you on all 4 wheels. 60" seems narrow now to me. Ideally im wanting 64-68"
Yep...

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Went to a local (non Honda) dealer today looking for a gear bag for my P5. Got a chance to finally see a Wolverine X2 in person. Very nice machine. Didn’t appear to be as wide in person as on paper at 59.1”.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, to each his own. There is no such machine that does everything for everyone.

I’m that guy that uses his machine daily to change water, fix sprinklers, check fence, feed the horses, run up and get the paper or the mail.. drag the garbage can up the driveway, etc.. THEN, in our off time, use it for trail riding, hauling wood etc..
I want a machine that does both work and play well.
I had a Viking. Great machine, big on torque, low on rip, and lacking big time in suspension.
The 1k is the perfect mix. More power than I can reasonably use on the trail, the suspension is light years better.. it just works.
I’m not interested in dunes.. I like trail riding in the trees. A P5 would never work for me.. i’d Be rolling it constantly. A narrow UTV is NOT a good replacement for an atv, you can’t use body English in a UTV. Hell, I can’t even take the Pioneer some of the places I took my Rancher, and I’m okay with that. I have my better half BESIDE me.. we can talk, we’re comfy, and we take the dog.
I think a sport UTV would be a hoot.. I just wouldn’t be able to justify it.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Well, to each his own. There is no such machine that does everything for everyone.

I’m that guy that uses his machine daily to change water, fix sprinklers, check fence, feed the horses, run up and get the paper or the mail.. drag the garbage can up the driveway, etc.. THEN, in our off time, use it for trail riding, hauling wood etc..
I had a Viking. Great machine, big on torque, low on rip, and lacking big time in suspension.
The 1k is the perfect mix. More power than I can reasonably use on the trail, the suspension is light years better.. it just works.
I’m not interested in dunes.. I like trail riding in the trees. A P5 would never work for me.. i’d Be rolling it constantly. A narrow UTV is NOT a good replacement for an atv, you can’t use body English in a UTV. Hell, I can’t even take the Pioneer some of the places I took my Rancher, and I’m okay with that. I have my better half BESIDE me.. we can talk, we’re comfy, and we take the dog.

I agree with everything you said honestly. I use my SxS the exact same way. I just don’t like them overly wide. 60” is as wide as I’d ever go. I’ve been able to do and go every where I need with my P5. I hope some day (now that this talon is out and Honda can maybe continue to improve exsisting models) that Honda will make the improvements that the P5 could use and needs.

J

JTW

I agree with everything you said honestly. I use my SxS the exact same way. I just don’t like them overly wide. 60” is as wide as I’d ever go. I’ve been able to do and go every where I need with my P5. I hope some day (now that this talon is out and Honda can maybe continue to improve exsisting models) that Honda will make the improvements that the P5 could use and needs.
Drive a PK5!

DavidBear

DavidBear

Feb 8, 2018
Delta Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I agree whole heartedly. And when out of towners (Nebraska in-laws) stop by we have 4 adults and a blue tick dog going to see the Colorado sights in the PK5…

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
ive always had kawi quads and the first 3 wheeler i bought, they were always a better value till i bought the rhino used (1300 miles from my house and had it shipped) and the can am was a bad idea, but i always wanted a honda but they were always 50 to 100 percent more. till this pioneer, the first time i can say i got a good machine for decent money on a honda is most of the reason why it was that one. it was maybe a grand more than a the leftover brute and 2 less than the wolverine 2018 at the same dealer, seems like honda is finnally realizing the pricing is their biggest issue. they had a forman 500 with eps, otd 2 or 3 less than the brute too, might consider one when i get a qaud again to add for trails

second time i saw a pioneer yesterday, one 700-4 one 2, both were power line owned must be by the look of the guys riding it, everybody is a cheap farmer around here, you only see the super cheap utvs, rangers, gators, mules, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey @Tigermark I figured out why your pioneer hasn't sold. It's tainted...lol

Reactions: swsebek
shoplizard

shoplizard

Nov 27, 2016
Great Falls, MT 59405
Ownership

1. 500
My P500 is the 1st and only SxS (or ATV ) I have owned. It is a 2016 and we have been using it on weekends to ride in the mountains here in central Montana. It has been a lot of fun on our trips. We ride with 3 0r 4 other couples (about our age, 60-70), they drive Polaris RZR's, 570-600 cc I guess. We keep up with them quite well on the trails, they pass my wife and me on the paved roads because they can travel 45 mph versus my max of 40 MPH. that's ok though we eventually catch up to them and continue on the trails. The Forest Service trails are only 50' wide, not 56' so my P500 works well. I like the paddle shift trans. the 500 cc engine has excellent torque, we haven't found a hill on the trails we couldn't climb. I also like the compression braking down the hills, I very seldom use my brakes downhill. The people in the Rzr's are constantly using their brakes and tell me they have to replace pads almost every year. My P500 fits well in the bed of my pickup and is easy to load and unload, so we can be loaded and ready to go on a moments notice. I think we are sticking with our P500, it has been a good and reliable ride.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
My P500 is the 1st and only SxS (or ATV ) I have owned. It is a 2016 and we have been using it on weekends to ride in the mountains here in central Montana. It has been a lot of fun on our trips. We ride with 3 0r 4 other couples (about our age, 60-70), they drive Polaris RZR's, 570-600 cc I guess. We keep up with them quite well on the trails, they pass my wife and me on the paved roads because they can travel 45 mph versus my max of 40 MPH. that's ok though we eventually catch up to them and continue on the trails. The Forest Service trails are only 50' wide, not 56' so my P500 works well. I like the paddle shift trans. the 500 cc engine has excellent torque, we haven't found a hill on the trails we couldn't climb. I also like the compression braking down the hills, I very seldom use my brakes downhill. The people in the Rzr's are constantly using their brakes and tell me they have to replace pads almost every year. My P500 fits well in the bed of my pickup and is easy to load and unload, so we can be loaded and ready to go on a moments notice. I think we are sticking with our P500, it has been a good and reliable ride.
There it is, I agree heartily and welcome to the forum...you’ve got beautiful country to ride in.

Reactions: trigger
M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
Had my P 5 since 2015-my wife and just think it is pretty OK! Traveled over 5000 miles. My only complaint is rear diff noise & would like a little more top speed. That said/had the opotunity to spend a week with a new Maverick Trail. Very nice butt—hard for me to get in & out of, poor visibility-base cost is not much more than the P5 but it’s belt drive and never got used to the initial engagement of the clutch’s. Looking to buy in the spring/me thinks another P5 is in my future or a 700 and keep the P5

Reactions: trigger
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the can ams have an abrupt engine brake but after you learn to slowly let off the throttle didn't seem so bad. I think though the wolverine 2 would be the best over all machine for reliable machine for mostly trails, ride nice and they have the best belt system out there, you can beat the heck out of it and never have a problem, just driving it not as abrupt either

Reactions: JTW
jgritters

jgritters

Feb 2, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
@DG Rider thats a very good summary of what I was thinking or wondering with folks saling/trading their machines. Some very good points you made. I was shocked when I seen the recall for the 1000. All sxs are noisey. Just no way around it. My P5 is durable as an anvil. Do I wish it had more suspension travel-yes. Should it come with at least a front locker-yes should it have ability to unlock the rear diff-yes. Should they have placed a bed from the factory on it-yes. Is it a little under powered-yes. Should they offer and EPS edition-yes. Etc etc. but for under 10 grand I’d buy again again. It will outlast me and I’ll give it to my son and he can give it to his some day. There is no perfect machine out there at least not yet and for my liking and intended uses. I think that’s why folks often sell. Newness wears off and they want a “perfect” machine. I came from a Kymco UXV 450 which was a solid great little machine. Kymco is so under valued. But I wanted a better dealer network and better long term parts availability and more options for accessories so I can home to Honda. I always had Honda growing up. Still have our 1970’s model 70cc three wheeler. I’d be lying if I haven’t questioned did I buy the right machine. But

jgritters

jgritters

Feb 2, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
that’s funny. I also came from a kymco uxv 450i.
That little machine was high quality but I needed more room for the family. Still getting to know my new 700.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
that’s funny. I also came from a kymco uxv 450i.
That little machine was high quality but I needed more room for the family. Still getting to know my new 700.
I looked at the Arctic Cat/Textron/Arctic Cat version of the 450i...the Prowler 500. It looked really well made...but I couldn't quite get over the Kymco part, though I must admit that I could find very few issues with them.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you normally find the quality issues with those cats and polaris and others when you go in mud or water toward top of the tire or more. any bit of the rad has mud they overheat and they dont like getting wet the artics just quit and popo wont restart after being in the mud because of where the fools put part of the start circuit.

really where the japaneese engineering for over sized rads and mud proof connections out of the way is really seen

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!