P1000 Power Dump Bed

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't see any difference between tilt and dump. In order for it to dump, it must tilt. Everybody refers to their cargo beds as tilt that's just the terminology to use. And dealers? Everything they say I take with a grain of salt.. LOL

I think the dealer is saying that to ward off any complaints down the line because of the complaints that are mounting.

Honda makes it pretty clear in their advertisements it can handle dumping a load.

But I've just grown used to it and gave up on wanting it to happen :) it works for little loads.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't see any difference between tilt and dump. In order for it to dump, it must tilt. Everybody refers to their cargo beds as tilt that's just the terminology to use. And dealers? Everything they say I take with a grain of salt.. LOL

I think the dealer is saying that to ward off any complaints down the line because of the complaints that are mounting.

Honda makes it pretty clear in their advertisements it can handle dumping a load.

But I've just grown used to it and gave up on wanting it to happen :) it works for little loads.
A "dump" bed has it's pivot point mounted in such a way that when the bed is fully loaded, it takes a minimal, if any, amount of manual lifting required to reach the tipping point so your load will spill out on it's own. A "tilt" bed has it's pivot point mounted in such a way that it will require exactly half of the weight of the load of manual lifting force to get it up and it will never reach a point of spilling it's load on it's own. It'll only stay up once it loses it's load.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A "dump" bed has it's pivot point mounted in such a way that when the bed is fully loaded, it takes a minimal, if any, amount of manual lifting required to reach the tipping point so your load will spill out on it's own. A "tilt" bed has it's pivot point mounted in such a way that it will require exactly half of the weight of the load of manual lifting force to get it up and it will never reach a point of spilling it's load on it's own. It'll only stay up once it loses it's load.

Well, I didn't mean I didn't ACTUALLY not know the difference! LOL. I'm just saying that everybody refers to a dump bed as a tilt bed. It's the same terminology used for either one. Or better said, it's not uncommon to use one phrase that implies the other.

The only way it works is I take the excavator and dump the rock down towards the tailgate and leave the front empty. I'm sure I could come up with something like a winch to attach to the roll bar, but I've got a rear winch and mount plate that's been sitting in a box for 14 months now I can't seem to get around to mounting...

I have enough projects to keep 3 men busy working 15 hour days, 7 days a week, for 2 solid months. And its just me who only works 1 hour days, once every 7 days, once every month.

Never retire, it takes the dang life right out of you!!!!!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I didn't mean I didn't ACTUALLY not know the difference! LOL. I'm just saying that everybody refers to a dump bed as a tilt bed. It's the same terminology used for either one. Or better said, it's not uncommon to use one phrase that implies the other.

The only way it works is I take the excavator and dump the rock down towards the tailgate and leave the front empty. I'm sure I could come up with something like a winch to attach to the roll bar, but I've got a rear winch and mount plate that's been sitting in a box for 14 months now I can't seem to get around to mounting...

I have enough projects to keep 3 men busy working 15 hour days, 7 days a week, for 2 solid months. And its just me who only works 1 hour days, once every 7 days, once every month.

Never retire, it takes the dang life right out of you!!!!!
I hear ya! I was just used to a true "dump" bed with a machine of another brand and when I proudly loaded my brand spanking new $18,000.00 Honda with soggy topsoil, I was embarrassed when I had to ask for help to unload it when I had been doing this same work for years without any assistance. I hate making excuses just to keep my job!!!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hear ya! I was just used to a true "dump" bed with a machine of another brand and when I proudly loaded my brand spanking new $18,000.00 Honda with soggy topsoil, I was embarrassed when I had to ask for help to unload it when I had been doing this same work for years without any assistance. I hate making excuses just to keep my job!!!

LMAO!!!!! Funny stuff. I feel ya. When I first joined this forum that was my first and biggest complaint and of course, everybody just LOVED the fact that a newbie joined up to complain about a Honda!!!! I was received with SO many warm hugs...

I literally bought this machine for that specific reason, because I was dumping rock on remote roads in the mountains and I needed something to get up there and I was thoroughly frustrated, believe me,
having to shovel the rock out by hand!!!!

Of course very few people, if any, bought this machine initially for such tasks and they just couldn't understand why it was an issue. It's one of those walk in my shoes deal.

Anyway like I say, that project is long gone and though I still carry a couple loads a month for patchwork I've just learned to do a workaround but I'm still not excited about it that's for sure.

I bought a Kawasaki FX Pro Ranch edition last month, a six seater with a tilt bed a little bit bigger than the 1000 but I have yet to fill it up with the rock and dump it to do a comparison!

I actually wrote a very long review comparing the two which took me about an hour and then I selected all and cut and like an idiot when I logged on I selected something else and replaced it and lost the entire dang review!!!! That's been a month ago and I have yet to gain the energy to write it again!

But I love having both machines I feel that now I have the best of all worlds :)

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
LMAO!!!!! Funny stuff. I feel ya. When I first joined this forum that was my first and biggest complaint and of course, everybody just LOVED the fact that a newbie joined up to complain about a Honda!!!! I was received with SO many warm hugs...

I literally bought this machine for that specific reason, because I was dumping rock on remote roads in the mountains and I needed something to get up there and I was thoroughly frustrated, believe me,
having to shovel the rock out by hand!!!!

Of course very few people, if any, bought this machine initially for such tasks and they just couldn't understand why it was an issue. It's one of those walk in my shoes deal.

Anyway like I say, that project is long gone and though I still carry a couple loads a month for patchwork I've just learned to do a workaround but I'm still not excited about it that's for sure.

I bought a Kawasaki FX Pro Ranch edition last month, a six seater with a tilt bed a little bit bigger than the 1000 but I have yet to fill it up with the rock and dump it to do a comparison!

I actually wrote a very long review comparing the two which took me about an hour and then I selected all and cut and like an idiot when I logged on I selected something else and replaced it and lost the entire dang review!!!! That's been a month ago and I have yet to gain the energy to write it again!

But I love having both machines I feel that now I have the best of all worlds :)
Oh yeah... I've had my share of stonings from the fanboys when I don't worship the Honda! I believe the reason Honda put the pivot point so far back is because of the 5 seat version... With people in the rear seats, if your bed latch wasn't latched properly of if it failed, you'd dump people instead of rocks! But the three seat version should have the pivot point forward to allow dumping.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh yeah... I've had my share of stonings from the fanboys when I don't worship the Honda! I believe the reason Honda put the pivot point so far back is because of the 5 seat version... With people in the rear seats, if your bed latch wasn't latched properly of if it failed, you'd dump people instead of rocks! But the three seat version should have the pivot point forward to allow dumping.

Yep! There are some real die hard brand loyalists here for sure! You could have the frame crack in half after going over a dead twig and hear "ahhhhh, stop whining would ya, and just put it on a lift, strip it down to a body off restoration, take a sheet of reinforced AR500 steel, program in your waterjet machine and fabricate a customer piece, jig weld it on the frame, and be on your way. Dang you newbies get on my nerves.."

Gee, ok, thanks, but ya know, I never DID get around to building that ole $50,000 machine shop last year. Just wasn't in the long term Honda repair budget, but I AM shooting for 2019. Right after I completely change life careers and take up a new trade learning how to weld and cut and fabricate and... LOL

There's a big misconception, not just here, but at almost any SXS, ATV, Motorcycle forum, that owner = certified mechanic and do all person.

What ever happen to just an enthusiast? A driver? DYI is nice and all, but it's not a given by a long shot. I mean, even NASCAR drivers have mechanics. LOL :)

Its nice being able to log on and get FAST advice. And trust me, this forum ROCKS for some great, quick, accurate advice. And some are very nice when trying to help. But when the advice starts getting radical, like one said on one of my threads to just weld another hydraulic arm on the bed, it really is not practical whatsoever.

Just my humorous 2 cents worth :)

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HEY GUYS,
Service manager at Blue Ridge Powersports here.
We have recently designed and installed a power lift system for the new Honda Pioneer 1000 and works awesome /If your interested, give us a call at 1-800-296-2735.
What actuator did you use?

advertisement
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does a p1000-3 have the bed assist ram in the same place as a p1000-5?

Reactions: Lady01
Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the 1,000 lbs capacity in the bed I'm going to need some help dumping it, not that I will have that much weight very often in it it is still nice especially doing yard work. Does anyone know if Honda is going to make or has made an electric cylinder for dumping the bed?

I know there are some "aftermarket" ones that you can buy, but if I can get one from the dealer, or something that they could install I'll go that route.
My solution: P1000 - Electric dump box

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!