Talon TerryH's 1000 X build.....

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
After some consideration I decided to play it safe and install an auxiliary battery. I used the CAtech juice box battery tray and a Stinger isolator. Used the left over cables from the SATV winch kit. Worked out pretty well. The CAtech battery tray fit well. Bought a AGM battery at Oreilly Auto Parts.

49201398733 180fabdf5d b

Plenty of room to mount the Stinger on the CA tray.

49202092587 b2df44a543 b

49201399708 d080987cde b

49201885971 1018888273 b

This black plastic tray sort of thing was in the box with the battery. Says it's a spacer. I notched out for the cables and used it for a cover. Worked out pretty cool.

49201908831 fe651af1c1 b

49201908721 d50dd904d0 b

Pretty clean looking setup overall.

49201421878 f273ac44f3 b

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Also finished up the Tusk heated seat install. I am in no way an upholstery guy. The seat bottoms use regular staples to hold the cover so just a matter of prying them up with a small flat screwdriver and pulling them out with some needle nose pliers. I bought a wide crown stapler at Harbor Freight for $20. The backs are a different system. The cover has a plastic edging that snaps into a track in the seat back. Really simple deal once I figured out how to get it out. A Phillips screwdriver worked best for me. Just start prying and go slow and it comes right out. The seat covers are secured in the center of the foam with elastic straps with plastic fasteners on them. They fit into slots in the foam. The foam is glued to the plastic bases.

The kits come with all the wiring including the switches and relays. I ran power from the battery and a key on trigger from the fuse box.

The install was not super difficult but a bit of a pain in the rear. But at least it's a warm rear. lol... Was a very big hit last weekend on those cold morning rides.

The kit works fine as is for the bottom.

49201439733 4677daaf6f b

The back was a different story. The foam for the back was too narrow to properly fit the heated pad. I finally figured out that if I cut thru the foam I could tuck the pad in that slot. Seems to work fine. I also cut a slit in the foam to hold the wires.

49201439608 d81b263119 b

There is a seemingly perfect spot for the w=switches in the console where the trans warning label is but it won't work. The left switch will not clear the shifter bracket. Cost me a console top to rind that out. :eek:/ Thankfully Honda sells the console top for $12.

49202133082 c4b07b1c4a b

49201439528 53f6eaf599 b

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also finished up the Tusk heated seat install. I am in no way an upholstery guy. The seat bottoms use regular staples to hold the cover so just a matter of prying them up with a small flat screwdriver and pulling them out with some needle nose pliers. I bought a wide crown stapler at Harbor Freight for $20. The backs are a different system. The cover has a plastic edging that snaps into a track in the seat back. Really simple deal once I figured out how to get it out. A Phillips screwdriver worked best for me. Just start prying and go slow and it comes right out. The seat covers are secured in the center of the foam with elastic straps with plastic fasteners on them. They fit into slots in the foam. The foam is glued to the plastic bases.

The kits come with all the wiring including the switches and relays. I ran power from the battery and a key on trigger from the fuse box.

The install was not super difficult but a bit of a pain in the rear. But at least it's a warm rear. lol... Was a very big hit last weekend on those cold morning rides.

The kit works fine as is for the bottom.

View attachment 169962

The back was a different story. The foam for the back was too narrow to properly fit the heated pad. I finally figured out that if I cut thru the foam I could tuck the pad in that slot. Seems to work fine. I also cut a slit in the foam to hold the wires.

View attachment 169963

There is a seemingly perfect spot for the w=switches in the console where the trans warning label is but it won't work. The left switch will not clear the shifter bracket. Cost me a console top to rind that out. :eek:/ Thankfully Honda sells the console top for $12.

View attachment 169964

View attachment 169965

Thanks for sharing this, I have 2 Tusk kits sitting in my garage among other things waiting to be installed.

Reactions: TerryH
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
After some consideration I decided to play it safe and install an auxiliary battery. I used the CAtech juice box battery tray and a Stinger isolator. Used the left over cables from the SATV winch kit. Worked out pretty well. The CAtech battery tray fit well. Bought a AGM battery at Oreilly Auto Parts.
It is going to be very interesting to me to see how well these batteries hold up. Heat is one of a batteries worst enemies and that location is the second hottest area in a Talon (near the exhaust being the hottest). The 200+ degree air blowing directly on it from the radiator concerns me so I have held off doing it, in hopes something in a cooler spot is figured out. Not that there is really anywhere else to put an extra battery so I may have no choice.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
It is going to be very interesting to me to see how well these batteries hold up. Heat is one of a batteries worst enemies and that location is the second hottest area in a Talon (near the exhaust being the hottest). The 200+ degree air blowing directly on it from the radiator concerns me so I have held off doing it, in hopes something in a cooler spot is figured out. Not that there is really anywhere else to put an extra battery so I may have no choice.

Don't disagree at all but I can't see any other place for it to go. We shall see how it does.

Reactions: popeye
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry, thanks for your write up and YouTube videos. I'm picking up my 1000X 2 seater this week. All the stuff you have done will come in handy as I build mine. First thing I'm going to do is pull the shocks and put the Bandit tender springs on along with Schmidty Racing caps/valves on the shocks.

Reactions: TerryH and TripleB
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry, thanks for your write up and YouTube videos. I'm picking up my 1000X 2 seater this week. All the stuff you have done will come in handy as I build mine. First thing I'm going to do is pull the shocks and put the Bandit tender springs on along with Schmidty Racing caps/valves on the shocks.

Thanks Phil. Glad you found it helpful.

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry is always very informative and spot on. Our new Bandit tenders appear to be a great improvement on our Talon Xs. I can't wait to do a true trail ride to confirm. I wanted to try the Shock Therapy dual rate kit, but for $200.00 I decided to give this a try based on Terry's reviews. Definitely gotta replace the reservoir caps as well because all but one of our shocks had zero to very little nitrogen psi.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry is always very informative and spot on. Our new Bandit tenders appear to be a great improvement on our Talon Xs. I can't wait to do a true trail ride to confirm. I wanted to try the Shock Therapy dual rate kit, but for $200.00 I decided to give this a try based on Terry's reviews. Definitely gotta replace the reservoir caps as well because all but one of our shocks had zero to very little nitrogen psi.

Thank you! Glad to be of help. Still dumbfounded on how many of these shocks are dead or at least low. Cannot understand why Fox refuses to fix this issue!

Reactions: Rambo
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well I have decided to dive into a big makeover for a winter project. Will be doing a custom cage with tied in bumpers on both ends. Custom window nets and a few more tricks. I'll be changing the color and doing all new custom graphics. Should be a fun deal. Dropping off at the fab shop in a couple of weeks. Accumulating parts now. Stay tuned for the craziness. lol...

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Parts are coming in for the cage project. HMF HD front bumper and EXO bars in red powder came today. These will be used as is as HMF powdercoats these pieces in Axalta Red Barron which is the same color as the Honda red suspension. Interestingly enough, it's also the same color I chose for the red on my FL350R.

49250974931 69b9728f5f b

I chose the Super ATV rear bumper since I already had the SATV hitch. The rear bumper will be integrated into the cage so it will get Red Barron powder anyway.

49251180752 30bbbc6245 b

I also received some custom made shock covers thtat I ordered a couple of weeks ago. They are made by a lady that came highly recommended by Ted at Bandit UTV. The covers are top notch work.

49250521698 c98bf13b19 b

49251199397 9ac6a262af c

49250521938 33fa97d303 b

More to come...

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I also received some custom made shock covers thtat I ordered a couple of weeks ago. They are made by a lady that came highly recommended by Ted at Bandit UTV. The covers are top notch work.

View attachment 171675

More to come...

Do you have a link or contact info on those shock covers, I'd like to get a set.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you! Glad to be of help. Still dumbfounded on how many of these shocks are dead or at least low. Cannot understand why Fox refuses to fix this issue!

Now you have me wondering about mine and the nitrogen. Will find out next week when ST tears into them for revalving. They said they always install schrader valves while revalving.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Now you have me wondering about mine and the nitrogen. Will find out next week when ST tears into them for revalving. They said they always install schrader valves while revalving.

I've heard of more that had low or no charge than I have fully charged ones. I still cannot figure out why Fox continues with this system instead of jut putting a Schrader on them.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Fitted up the HMF bumper and EXO bars today. Fit and finish is very nice. Suggestion for anyone buying this setup and wanting to run a winch and lights, install the lights before the skid plate and the fairlead. I could not get the nuts on the light hardware without removing the skid. Really like this setup.

49254713888 18b2e11317 b

49255194951 8ea700d4e8 b

49255195391 99403de230 b

49255389302 58aa7571ba b

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Fitted up the HMF bumper and EXO bars today. Fit and finish is very nice. Suggestion for anyone buying this setup and wanting to run a winch and lights, install the lights before the skid plate and the fairlead. I could not get the nuts on the light hardware without removing the skid. Really like this setup.

View attachment 171769

View attachment 171770

View attachment 171771

View attachment 171772
Looks good! I ordered the HMF bumper too. Good input on installing the lights first. I have the Bandit tender springs on the way, and I've put McNasty lower doors on and am waiting on a couple more parts from them as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!