P500 Torq-Masters torq locker feedback

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 1654
In case anyone was wondering what an install of Locker is by a Honda shop.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is most interesting on that bill is the solvent and rags for $2. You pay 2-3 times that for an oil change(automotive) at a local dealer! No line charge for oil or any other associated fluids to do the job.
Is this an estimate? Or a bill for doing the install?

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I want a large Mylar Logo Stencil of the TM logo so I can paint my hood and coolers with it!

I just cut down the sticker they sent yesterday and put the part that says locker on the half shield. Wish they made smaller ones of the whole logo, don't mind advertising for something that my machine is equipped with but their sticker is bigger than my Honda logo. o_O

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 86934 In case anyone was wondering what an install of Locker is by a Honda shop.
Looks about right.... but $85/hr in 2018? That's why the flat rate time is 7 hrs.. If the mechanic is sharp, he'll do that in 3.5 hrs., maybe even less. So the actual rate is $170/hr. and that makes much better sense, and again, that's what it really costs to have a profitable repair shop.

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Looks about right.... but $85/hr in 2018? That's why the flat rate time is 7 hrs.. If the mechanic is sharp, he'll do that in 3.5 hrs., maybe even less. So the actual rate is $170/hr. and that makes much better sense, and again, that's what it really costs to have a profitable repair shop.
The Honda shop said the install went very smooth, thanks to the excellent installation instruction manual provided by JWB. Like you said earlier, someone has to pay for the management, secretary and janitor. I guess that would be me. If anyone buying a Locker has the time, tools and mechanical ability to do it themselves, a copy of my bill should provide the incentive to do it yourself. On a positive note, the Honda shop guaranteed their work and said if anything went wrong with the installation of the Locker, to bring it back and they would make good any repairs at no charge.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
It looks like the locker is a really good thing and after watching the videos from this thread my preassumption is still correct! With locker it will pull all 4 perfectly as long as you don’t high center! If you do, it’s kinda pointless! Everywhere @JACKAL led us at the takeover from fireroads to rocky steep mountain trails my 3w P5 handled fine! Yes I sold it to @Remington but I’m looking for another P5 as we speak! It’s hard to argue what this small pioneer will do at the price point it’s at!! Awesome thread!!!

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like the locker is a really good thing and after watching the videos from this thread my preassumption is still correct! With locker it will pull all 4 perfectly as long as you don’t high center! If you do, it’s kinda pointless! Everywhere @JACKAL led us at the takeover from fireroads to rocky steep mountain trails my 3w P5 handled fine! Yes I sold it to @Remington but I’m looking for another P5 as we speak! It’s hard to argue what this small pioneer will do at the price point it’s at!! Awesome thread!!!
I agree that when your high centered it doesn't matter if you have one tire pulling or 12 your still stuck. At this point the locker could be considered pointless I guess. But so could the motor. With my locker engaged I don't get to the high centered point nearly as often. I can actually go slower and ease thru things now without spinning a tire. I ride with big buggies, mine is the smallest one and at the end of the day I'm usually the only one that hasn't been stuck. Mines cleaner because I don't have to stick a foot off in it to get thru the tough stuff. Spinning tires break axles and with the locker I find a rarely spin. I know I spin much less now than I did pre locker. For me and where I ride the lockers the greatest thing since sliced bread:) My buddies can't believe the things I just crawl thru. I don't look for bad stuff to go thru but it's kinda fun to just ease thru something a big popo with 32s couldn't :D

C

Chooglin

With my locker engaged I don't get to the high centered point nearly as often. I can actually go slower and ease thru things now without spinning a tire.

This is what makes the locker so great. With the 3wd p5 , it was all about getting enough momentum to blast through a mud hole or to climb an obstacle. With true 4WD , it's about crawling your way through or up a rocky slope.

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
This is what makes the locker so great. With the 3wd p5 , it was all about getting enough momentum to blast through a mud hole or to climb an obstacle. With true 4WD , it's about crawling your way through or up a rocky slope.
So true, straight to the point. Slow but strong should avoid mechanical damage, and allow backing out if impassible ahead.
Looking back, best 3 mods which transformed the P500 capabilities were tires, power steering and locker. With 50 inch restricted trails where I ride, don’t think there is a better choice IMO.

Last edited:
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
If I get the 2016 P5 I’m looking at it will have a locker, power steering and the good stuff! I just need @trigger to finance me on the accessories like his since his is loaded up!!! lol

Torq-Masters

Torq-Masters

Vendor
Jul 11, 2018
Rochester NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That MEME is super cute Mudder!

Great feedback, let me know if I can help with any questions. I'm not on the forum much but you can always shoot me an email too, cora @torqmasters.com.

For those asking the difference between a locker and your stock open diff, this video shows certain trail situations where the open diff (or in this case a limited slip differential in a Can-Am) will perform vs. a front locker. Things like when you lift a tire, all the torque goes to the tire in the air in an open diff. The locker sends torque to both tires and you can keep crawling forward.

We have 1 sale a year, it's for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and it's big. $50 off a TORQ Locker. Coupon Code = torq$50
Here's our graphic of the promotion:

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Any of you that have been thinking about getting one of these awesome lockers , now is the time. It's worth every penny !
Amen to that, last year in Idaho my P500 struggled to get up a couple of pretty steep hills. This year, same hills, didn't even know they were the same hills. Don't have much experience in deep mud as a lot of the members are, but I do have experience driving on steep rocky trails and wouldn't be without the Torque Locker now that I have it. It's comforting to drive to the base of a steep hill and not wonder if you can make it or not. For those that already have the Locker installed know what I'm talking about.

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my 500 hoping the locker would be made. As soon as it came out I bought one. Its by far my best add on. It made the 500 hundred a different machine .If you don't have it believe me when I say you will love it .And at 50 bucks off you really need to pull the trigger on it :)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
The Honda shop said the install went very smooth, thanks to the excellent installation instruction manual provided by JWB. Like you said earlier, someone has to pay for the management, secretary and janitor. I guess that would be me. If anyone buying a Locker has the time, tools and mechanical ability to do it themselves, a copy of my bill should provide the incentive to do it yourself. On a positive note, the Honda shop guaranteed their work and said if anything went wrong with the installation of the Locker, to bring it back and they would make good any repairs at no charge.
Thanks for the shout-out!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!