Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
And don't leave the circle clips big on the end of the axle, squeeze em down!
Is squeezing em down necessary? Does it allow the axle to move...sliding in and out from operation. What happens if they are not squeezed down?o_O

Reactions: Caper and Chooglin
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It will just make it more difficult to remove the axle if you need to in the future.
What about movement? Have you heard of anyone having problems which may be attributable to the install of locker and squeezing the clipo_O

Reactions: Caper
C

Chooglin

What about movement? Have you heard of anyone having problems which may be attributable to the install of locker and squeezing the clipo_O
When you say "movement" do you mean in and out movement. The clip just keeps the axle from popping out of the diff. When you over extend the a-arms. I never squeezed my clips before I reinstalled them , so I may have a difficult time getting them to release in the future. I hope I never need to pull them , but you never know.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
When you say "movement" do you mean in and out movement. The clip just keeps the axle from popping out of the diff. When you over extend the a-arms. I never squeezed my clips before I reinstalled them , so I may have a difficult time getting them to release in the future. I hope I never need to pull them , but you never know.
Yes in and out of the diff is the movement which I am curious about and the possibility of it popping out. If I had a choice I would not squeeze the clip to prevent it unintentionally coming out.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and Caper
C

Chooglin

Yes in and out of the diff is the movement which I am curious about and the possibility of it popping out. If I had a choice I would not squeeze the clip to prevent it unintentionally coming out.
In order for them to pop out , you would really need to over extend the travel. The axle is going to move in and out on the spline , it's designed that way. I wouldn't think they move much , do to the short suspension travel on the 500

D

Duckhunt

I squeezed the bloody p*ss out of mine. However, due to them stretching when reinstalling them on the axle the end gap really didn't change lol! I tested them on the locker end piece before installation and they popped off with force, but under no circumstance was it easy.

EDIT: When I say bloody p*ss I mean closed the end gap. I did not change or alter the shape or "spring" in the clip. I see it could be interpreted wrong easily.

advertisement
C

Chooglin

If I remember correctly, I thought Cora said they fixed the problem with the clips on the second batch of lockers ? But she did say that it's not a bad idea to squeeze them anyhow..........does anyone else recall this ?

D

Duckhunt

I'll elaborate: I got in on the second batch of lockers and at that time all the horror stories were coming out on removing axles... or lack thereof. So I wanted to make sure I could get my axles off. As I said I squeezed the clips as instructed, but when I spiraled them back onto the shaft they were pretty much back to the same shape or OD. I did test each axle in it's differential plate on the bench. They'd pop off most of the time with force but once in awhile they wouldn't. So I'd push and pull the axle a few times to reseat the clip in the little chamfer (which was new on the second batch) and then it would pop off with force. So point being I personally think the chamfer helped on the second batch much more than squeezing circlips. I think the squeezing is a precaution to make sure they aren't over sized.

D

Duckhunt

If I remember correctly, I thought Cora said they fixed the problem with the clips on the second batch of lockers ? But she did say that it's not a bad idea to squeeze them anyhow..........does anyone else recall this ?
LOL You typed & asked that as I was typing mine. But yes etched in stone there was a paper note included pointing out the "corrected" chamfer and instructions to squeeze the clips.

On mine I don't recall a change in amount the axle sticks out. Usually I get a little red flag in my noggin for these details and I don't seem to have one.

C

Chooglin

LOL You typed & asked that as I was typing mine. But yes etched in stone there was a paper note included pointing out the "corrected" chamfer and instructions to squeeze the clips.

On mine I don't recall a change in amount the axle sticks out. Usually I get a little red flag in my noggin for these details and I don't seem to have one.
That was the quickest answer I have ever gotten on this forum...........lmao

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Haha. And now I know too. I’ll let everyone fix the bugs before I get one. But it sounds like I’m the only person without one. Haha
Caper

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Did some snow-plowing for the first time with the Torq-Locker installed. It worked flawlessly. For the most part, I forgot it was even there, and then realized that I was making tight maneuvers on cleared pavement with no binding or the steering fighting- like with the spool. The locker still continues to impress me every time I use the machine. Kudos to Torq-Masters again!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did some snow-plowing for the first time with the Torq-Locker installed. It worked flawlessly. For the most part, I forgot it was even there, and then realized that I was making tight maneuvers on cleared pavement with no binding or the steering fighting- like with the spool. The locker still continues to impress me every time I use the machine. Kudos to Torq-Masters again!
I've been looking for you!
Good to see an update.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!