P500 Torq-Masters torq locker feedback

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Not planning to set the alarm or anything, honestly not in a big rush to get one. I'll check it out later and if there's some left I'll grab one up. Really don't need it until next years takeover and not real excited to tear the front end apart just yet anyway. Have at it guys and good luck, looking forward to the builds and feedback. :)
This might change your mind: screen shots from the videos we did today!
P 500 action 11
P 500 action 11
P 500 action 13
P 500 action 14
P 500 action 15

C

Chooglin

start creation of account. Try to login. When it wont let you do the password reset the you can log in and order. I did it all at one time at 12:00 noonntheir time. Only painnis like 6 times wth the “captcha”
I add to cart , go to check out , put my billing info in and this is what I get.
Screenshot 2018 06 30 21 03 27

advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'll post the videos those screen-shots came from after I get them edited in a day or two. We made the trek out to Spearhead again, and not only had a completely fantastic day, but did things with my P5 that were utterly impossible to do without the Torq-Locker. Ya, a spool could accomplish the same end result, but first you gotta drive the machine all the miles to the challenges, and then drive it back. I'm so excited to hear everyone's experiences and first impressions with the Torq-Locker!
One thing I need to recommend to everyone, is to use a heavier gear lube. When I first installed my locker (non heat-treated) I filled my diff with some left-over Bell-Ray 85w-140 and a bit of straight 90 weight to top it off. The auto locker was virtually silent, and no gear noise- in fact I had completely forgotten about the gear noise thing many of us have commented about... So, at about 60 miles, I drained the gear lube to check it for metal- there was none, and re-filled it with synthetic 75w-90 that we use at work in commercial work-boat gear cases. Now, that gear noise is back- clearly, and, I can hear the locker ratcheting now too.
So that's why I'm recommending the heavier gear lube. It will not harm the diff in any way.
Based on my experience with this, I'm going to ask Cora if Torq-masters would be OK with amending the install manual- keeping in mind that any after-market parts manufacturer may not want to risk deviating from the O.E.M's recommendations.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Problem with account set up, so just did straight order and payment. Ordered with no problem. Can finally say Lock ‘Er Up! LOL Easy decision for Birthday gift...perfect timing as I sold my old atv yesterday on Craigslist in 1 hr.

With the locker, the P500 would be a great off road rescue/tow truck, small enough to get thru trails, low geared to pull ..IMO. If I lived up by Ride Royal Blue...?

E902ADEA D17D 4A47 B95A 96B0125F1744 29568EEF B3D0 4D6F AB99 F31DD16E939E

Last edited:
Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I'll post the videos those screen-shots came from after I get them edited in a day or two. We made the trek out to Spearhead again, and not only had a completely fantastic day, but did things with my P5 that were utterly impossible to do without the Torq-Locker. Ya, a spool could accomplish the same end result, but first you gotta drive the machine all the miles to the challenges, and then drive it back. I'm so excited to hear everyone's experiences and first impressions with the Torq-Locker!
One thing I need to recommend to everyone, is to use a heavier gear lube. When I first installed my locker (non heat-treated) I filled my diff with some left-over Bell-Ray 85w-140 and a bit of straight 90 weight to top it off. The auto locker was virtually silent, and no gear noise- in fact I had completely forgotten about the gear noise thing many of us have commented about... So, at about 60 miles, I drained the gear lube to check it for metal- there was none, and re-filled it with synthetic 75w-90 that we use at work in commercial work-boat gear cases. Now, that gear noise is back- clearly, and, I can hear the locker ratcheting now too.
So that's why I'm recommending the heavier gear lube. It will not harm the diff in any way.
Based on my experience with this, I'm going to ask Cora if Torq-masters would be OK with amending the install manual- keeping in mind that any after-market parts manufacturer may not want to risk deviating from the O.E.M's recommendations.
@JWB in them northern states where you guys ride that heaver oil in that sometimes extremely could weather u experience in the winter, could it cause any damage to the locker.

Reactions: JWB
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@JWB in them northern states where you guys ride that heaver oil in that sometimes extremely could weather u experience in the winter, could it cause any damage to the locker.
I run synthetic 75W-140 in mine already, use the same in my snowmobile chaincase. No worries.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
No... But if you were running in sub-zero temps, you might loose a couple or three ponies while the ring and pinion are pumping that jello from between the gear teeth!;):)

Reactions: Dp5hunter and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No... But if you were running in sub-zero temps, you might loose a couple or three ponies while the ring and pinion are pumping that jello from between the gear teeth!;):)
Yup, with the temps we see in the winter from time to time.....coldest this year was -29f acutal,.... it doesn't matter what type of equipment your runnng.....car, truck, sled, quad, snowblower, etc..... we let them warm up for a while, then take it easy for the first few miles/minutes to warm up the rest of the drivetrain.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered mine at 12:20 on Saturday while sitting in a Wendy's eating... :) Now I hope I can ride without needing to buy power $teering...
We haven't heard back from @jay_man81 about running without the power steering- and I keep forgetting to try it!

Reactions: pFive and Dp5hunter
Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I will be getting my locker installed and I'm also not looking at installing PS on my P500.

Reactions: JWB
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
We went riding on some fun tight twisty trails sunday and had it in 4WD and driving was easy for me even with my sore left arm so I doubt the locker will be to much of a problem once I install it. My wife might have a problem with it.

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!