Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am only 15 days into owning my Talon, and I already don't want to know how much I have spent. :eek: I can hardly remember which parts I have ordered and which ones I didn't! I have decided that the Talon is just a starter kit to have something to bolt the accessories onto! I sure hope I don't develop the sickness some of y'all have. :cool:

Tom
TOO LATE!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am only 15 days into owning my Talon, and I already don't want to know how much I have spent. :eek: I can hardly remember which parts I have ordered and which ones I didn't! I have decided that the Talon is just a starter kit to have something to bolt the accessories onto! I sure hope I don't develop the sickness some of y'all have. :cool:

Tom
Unpossible. 🤔
TOO LATE!
Whut Smitty said, it's more contagious than the new strain of Covid. :oops:

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
Tru dat.
yikes.gif
The mount is available separately for $30 if you already have a scissor jack.

I've refused to tally up what I've spent on my Talon since I bought it. I don't wanna know! 🙈

View attachment 247602
I’ll give my two cents. I bought the same Jack and mount. The mounts OK but the jack completely sucks I try to use it once and threw it away maybe I just got a bad one

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: Biteme and CID
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ll give my two cents. I bought the same Jack and mount. The mounts OK but the jack completely sucks I try to use it once and threw it away maybe I just got a bad one

I'll agree that the jack could be better. I probably threw out 3-4 scissor jacks that I had laying around before I moved that were better quality. I've used the Tusk jack on my Talon 4-5 times and it's still just OK but I really should look into something more sturdy. I'm not too concerned since I also carry a High-Lift jack.

Reactions: Biteme
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought the Husky 1 1/2 ton scissors jack at Home Depot. Base size is about 15"x4 3/4" I haven't used it yet, but I wanted a sturdy base. I doubt I will carry the handle that came with it. A screwdriver will work even though it will take a little longer. One less thing to store.

Reactions: Biteme
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
This has gotten me looking at scissors jacks at various places. The reviews for most are less than impressive. There are quite a few complete failures. I know that people are more likely to review a bad experience than a good one, but still..... I recognize that the Talon is a relatively light load for a 1 1/2 ton scissors jack. I have been wrenching on various things for 55 years now, so hopefully I have some idea of how to properly use such a jack. But if anyone has used a jack that they think is particularly good, I am listening! Buying such a simple item shouldn't be so difficult!

Tom

Reactions: PaulF and Biteme
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This has gotten me looking at scissors jacks at various places. The reviews for most are less than impressive. There are quite a few complete failures. I know that people are more likely to review a bad experience than a good one, but still..... I recognize that the Talon is a relatively light load for a 1 1/2 ton scissors jack. I have been wrenching on various things for 55 years now, so hopefully I have some idea of how to properly use such a jack. But if anyone has used a jack that they think is particularly good, I am listening! Buying such a simple item shouldn't be so difficult!

Tom
I recently read that scissor jacks used to level RVs work well and have 'big' travel. One advantage to them, you can probably go to an RV accessories shop and actually see the product, judging for yourself if it's well made.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Most auto recycling yards have a pile of them.

Yup, and they're likely going to be better quality than the stuff being sold for UTV's. Lots of them have a hex on the end to easily use an impact wrench on. They may not have the height needed but that's where a couple of 2x4's come in handy.

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
It definitely depends on where and how you ride. If you are riding with a group at an off road park, and don't get more than a few miles from your truck, you won't need a lot. We ride in AZ and UT, usually alone, often getting 50 miles or more from home or our truck. Sometimes in places with no cell service. Temperatures can easily change 30 degrees in a day. I try to be prepared for most situations. Not a complete list, but I carry: lots of water, many tools, battery jump pack, recovery gear, shovel, saw, extra clothes, rain gear, first aid kit, extra fuel, and much more. I will have a spare tire and wheel, so I will need a jack and lug wrench. Much of this stuff is rarely used, but I feel the need to have it. If I put the tools and recovery gear in less accessible locations, it leaves the main storage box for the cooler, jackets, rain gear, etc. This is all stuff that is always on the machine, whether I am planning a 10 mile ride or a 150 mile ride. YMMV.
Ditto on the gear needed for riding in no man's land. SE Utah 4 corners area is an empty place with no cell service. 100 miles from anything. You have to be prepared for the worst because you can't just call someone to bail you out. Gotta love it! I'm adding this box for sure.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you ride alone, which I do most of the time, you need many things for just in case. I've ridden motorcycles around the world alone. With a SXS you need more things. More parts that may break. I don't have many parts since I'm new to SXS. But I have what I think I need for extractions. I have a Tractor Supply Company trunk. It holds all that plus a couple back packs and cooler. I ride Arizona desert without cell service many times. This is adventure riding. You need to be prepared and know there are risks, which maybe includes walk outs.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and Boundertom

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!