Unique storage ideas

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Maybe it's because I'm not accessorized yet, but do we really need more storage space in less convenient places? My TSC box still has plenty room in it. But I haven't done that much riding yet. And certainly haven't been doing any overnight cold weather trips.

Hat's off to @PaulF for sharing the ammo box idea. It's now my convenient and easily accessible recovery gear storage. Previously my recovery gear was in my storage trunk and I had to lift and prop/secure my JEI spare tire carrier to get to it. Minor inconvenience, sure, but as I encounter different needs/situations as they arise, I appreciate dedicated storage for certain things. My EMP under hood storage box/tray contains my tire repair kit and compressor, I was happy to have easy access to it on one of my last rides where I got 5 flats in 2 days.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Maybe it's because I'm not accessorized yet, but do we really need more storage space in less convenient places? My TSC box still has plenty room in it. But I haven't done that much riding yet. And certainly haven't been doing any overnight cold weather trips.
It definitely depends on where and how you ride. If you are riding with a group at an off road park, and don't get more than a few miles from your truck, you won't need a lot. We ride in AZ and UT, usually alone, often getting 50 miles or more from home or our truck. Sometimes in places with no cell service. Temperatures can easily change 30 degrees in a day. I try to be prepared for most situations. Not a complete list, but I carry: lots of water, many tools, battery jump pack, recovery gear, shovel, saw, extra clothes, rain gear, first aid kit, extra fuel, and much more. I will have a spare tire and wheel, so I will need a jack and lug wrench. Much of this stuff is rarely used, but I feel the need to have it. If I put the tools and recovery gear in less accessible locations, it leaves the main storage box for the cooler, jackets, rain gear, etc. This is all stuff that is always on the machine, whether I am planning a 10 mile ride or a 150 mile ride. YMMV.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have been very well served by carrying my cordless DeWalt 3/8" drive impact wrench which I use for my lugs as well as my scissor jack.
I hadn't even thought about carrying an impact, but I happen to have a DeWalt 3/8" cordless impact. Using it on a scissors jack would be sweet. There is a space on the outboard side of the drivers seat that might hold a scissors jack. I don't think I even own at scissors jack at this point. I carry a 2 ton bottle jack in the Polaris Touring.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hadn't even thought about carrying an impact, but I happen to have a DeWalt 3/8" cordless impact. Using it on a scissors jack would be sweet. There is a space on the outboard side of the drivers seat that might hold a scissors jack. I don't think I even own at scissors jack at this point. I carry a 2 ton bottle jack in the Polaris Touring.
Make sure that bottle jack has enough travel to handle the Talon's 'sit-in' travel. It takes a lot of lift to get a tire off the ground, more-so on the rear.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

I have mine mounted to the cage for easy access, it's a Tusk kit. Good point @CID make above about having enough lift, I also carry a few cuts of 2x4 and 4x6 in the trunk. It's come in handy for more than just getting some extra lift or serving as a solid platform in gravel for the scissor jack.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Make sure that bottle jack has enough travel to handle the Talon's 'sit-in' travel. It takes a lot of lift to get a tire off the ground, more-so on the rear.
I was thinking that I would try to jack right at the hub, although the jacking points there don't look great. Even then, I agree that the bottle jack may not have enough travel, when starting with a flat tire. I haven't even tried to jack it yet, but I was leaning more toward a scissors jack. The bottle jack is more compact, but also susceptible to failure, and less stable.

Tom

Reactions: Biteme and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have mine mounted to the cage for easy access, it's a Tusk kit. Good point @CID make above about having enough lift, I also carry a few cuts of 2x4 and 4x6 in the trunk. It's come in handy for more than just getting some extra lift or serving as a solid platform in gravel for the scissor jack.
Do you have a pic of that? I can't mount a screw jack to my overhead spare because I'm too close to fit in the garage and not enough clearance to the trailer ramp for a rear mount. Maybe a link to the jack while I'm being needy? 🤔

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have seen that Tusk kit online. Does that store pretty securely and does it rattle much? I will have to see what space I have available after installing the rear window, spare tire rack, and RotoPax cans. Can you jack at the hubs fairly securely? Yes, I would carry a couple of little pieces of wood. I like pieces of 3/4" plywood, since that won't split.

ETA: Here is a link to the jack kit: Tusk UTV Scissor Jack Kit

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and CID
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
How did you adapt that jack to use your impact? I can see welding a big nut onto the shaft, but maybe there is another way?

Reactions: Biteme
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have a pic of that? I can't mount a screw jack to my overhead spare because I'm too close to fit in the garage and not enough clearance to the trailer ramp for a rear mount. Maybe a link to the jack while I'm being needy? 🤔

The jack mount clamp is right above the JEI clamp. Let me know if you want a better/closer pic and I'll snap one. Boundertom's quote has the link for the jack kit.

IMG 20201213 104221589 HDR XL

I have seen that Tusk kit online. Does that store pretty securely and does it rattle much? I will have to see what space I have available after installing the rear window, spare tire rack, and RotoPax cans. Can you jack at the hubs fairly securely? Yes, I would carry a couple of little pieces of wood. I like pieces of 3/4" plywood, since that won't split.

ETA: Here is a link to the jack kit: Tusk UTV Scissor Jack Kit

The scissor jack kit is pretty simple, the 2" cage clamp is very secure and a provided bolt/locknut lets you position the holder as needed. You slightly expand the scissor jack to keep it in place, absolutely no movement or rattles.

How did you adapt that jack to use your impact? I can see welding a big nut onto the shaft, but maybe there is another way?

Going through my many sockets, I found a 12 point (I think it was 24mm) that fit snug over the screw portion of the jack. Short of that I would have welded some old socket to accommodate using a 3/8" drive to use the jack.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Gents, ordered. For some reason I've put this off since Steve posted the jack link on another site. As much as I've spent on the Talon, this $55 was a quizzical obstacle. 🤔

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Gents, ordered. For some reason I've put this off since Steve posted the jack link on another site. As much as I've spent on the Talon, this $55 was a quizzical obstacle. 🤔

If you've got a scissor jack laying around the garage, it would also do the trick, the Tusk one isn't special in any way. The way it mounts just happened to be convenient at the time. That video of Paul F's Talon at the dealership showed a smart location of a scissor jack, it was right above the hitch but I don't have any info on how it was mounted.

Here's a couple of better pics of the Tusk jack/mount I just snapped...

IMG 20210107 162630921 XL

IMG 20210107 162714930 XL

@Boundertom regarding jacking at the hubs, I just pick a spot under the control arm and brap the DeWalt! I may change the pad out for some sort of cupped/c-channeled pad to prevent movement when jacking.

Last edited:
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks for the additional pics @Lil_Steve. I like it and will get one. I couldn't figure out how it mounted from the RMATV pics either. I have to find another $20.01 worth of stuff so I get free shipping. Shouldn't be hard. Such problems. NO, I don't need anymore help shopping! ;)

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
The mount is available separately for $30 if you already have a scissor jack.

I've refused to tally up what I've spent on my Talon since I bought it. I don't wanna know! 🙈

Tus 15 utv sci jac mou

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
:cool:
I've refused to tally up what I've spent on my Talon since I bought it. I don't wanna know! 🙈

I am only 15 days into owning my Talon, and I already don't want to know how much I have spent. :eek: I can hardly remember which parts I have ordered and which ones I didn't! I have decided that the Talon is just a starter kit to have something to bolt the accessories onto! I sure hope I don't develop the sickness some of y'all have. :cool:

Tom

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!