P1000 clutch slipping again

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
Does anyone know of any clutch updates on the p1000 just slipped my clutch in reverse will take it back to the dealer. Glad I bought the extended warranty just so disappointing can't take the machine off the pavement

Reactions: Hotwlz and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know of any clutch updates on the p1000 just slipped my clutch in reverse will take it back to the dealer. Glad I bought the extended warranty just so disappointing can't take the machine off the pavement

Was yours the one with 32's and portals or IGR?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Was yours the one with 32's and portals or IGR?
He has 8 posts in 14 months, 7 of the 8 posts are about clutch failing twice. Didnt see any other info about his setup. Typical, things going ok no posts, anything goes wrong get online and complain about it.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The reverse gear is high. I use it very little and backing up a short distance won't heat up or damage the clutch. I keep it above 3 mph if I'm backing up very far. Going forward in low range I keep it above 3 mph. Just below 2,000 rpm at about 1800 rpm the clutch is slipping. Big tires just make it a lot worse and most of us know how to avoid clutch damage. For super low speed use I drive my Pioneer 700. All the belt drive UTV's without a wet clutch can run along at 1/2 mph without belt damage as long as you keep moving. I use my Pioneer 700 for tough rock crawling now and I really liked my 2012 RZR 570 due to the light weight. Hopes this info helps avoid future clutch problems. I just hate to see my UTV's go into the shop and its usually 2 to 3 weeks to get it back.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No updates yet. But rumor mill is always turning. Latest is a look at the 2018 line. But parts fish have yet to be released. Soon we hope!

Thanks @hondabob for the info.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Again instructions on how to drive the Pioneer to not have clutch issues. It's a utility rig made to tow a ton not a sport it should be able to take that. I've always had a Honda and never had to tell my family what not to do I hope this problem gets remedied for everyone.

J

JTW

Again instructions on how to drive the Pioneer to not have clutch issues. It's a utility rig made to tow a ton not a sport it should be able to take that. I've always had a Honda and never had to tell my family what not to do I hope this problem gets remedied for everyone.
Can't disagree with that... I was amazed how close to failure mine was... and it was strong up until it went.

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
Well I have my pioneer back. With a new 1/3/5 clutch works great again still no update from honda. I now know I will go through at least 1 clutch per year .i might dump it if Honda does not come up with a fix soon . Some folks are on there 4th clutch has anyone heard anything yet ?

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Lmfao!!! Priceless:rolleyes:

Reactions: JTW
R

richmx22

Jun 24, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I was winching a tree that was falling toward my shop yesterday and while pulling slowly in reverse/ winching I had no problem saving my shop from damage. Unfortunately today went to use the pioneer 1000 to haul the logs away and clutch slipping and doing weird things. Now reading this thread it looks like my pioneer is very light duty? I bought this Honda to avoid all the belt drive machines. Now a $150 belt replacement is looking good compared to my Honda issue. Any idea on where to get this service done and how much?is Honda my only chioice or does any aftermarket shop have an upgrade?

Reactions: 0860silverado
J

JTW

Yeah that was a terrible idea!! Honda is warranting the clutches and also now doing a clutch cover upgrade as their fix, which delivers twice the oil to the clutches preventing burn out. Contact your dealer and have it taken care of. It’s free warranty work. I understand your frustration but did you read the manual or do any preemptive research before you purchased your machine? It’s a well known issue that reverse and first are a little high for a machine without a torque converter. If you’re barely turning any RPMs then you’re potentially burning clutches! And remember... It’s not a f***ing tractor!!

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
Ok I was winching a tree that was falling toward my shop yesterday and while pulling slowly in reverse/ winching I had no problem saving my shop from damage. Unfortunately today went to use the pioneer 1000 to haul the logs away and clutch slipping and doing weird things. Now reading this thread it looks like my pioneer is very light duty? I bought this Honda to avoid all the belt drive machines. Now a $150 belt replacement is looking good compared to my Honda issue. Any idea on where to get this service done and how much?is Honda my only chioice or does any aftermarket shop have an upgrade?
Hopefully hondas recall will help otherwise I am thinking about the defender xmr

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hopefully hondas recall will help otherwise I am thinking about the defender xmr
I'm gonna patiently wait for reviews and potential common issues to surface and be corrected with Polaris' new Ranger 1000. Completely redesigned from the ground up including the drive system. I got smoked on my Honda because I bought the first year release. Never again!!! Good luck on whatever you decide!

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm gonna patiently wait for reviews and potential common issues to surface and be corrected with Polaris' new Ranger 1000. Completely redesigned from the ground up including the drive system. I got smoked on my Honda because I bought the first year release. Never again!!! Good luck on whatever you decide!

By "new drive system" are they referring to the prop shafts that now have CV joints instead of U-joints? Or is there more to it? I was just on a fishing trip with my buddy who is a tech for a Polaris dealer and he says the new one is still a joke.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!