CP’s Talon Rebuild

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Got skids on. Looks like it’ll protect it well enough for the dirt roads. Again @SuperATV you need to package these better so they don’t get scuffed, how am I going to show off the under side of this little Princess now? Is there an improper packaging discount?

View attachment 321622
When that sticker wears off it will definitely perform better 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@SuperATV If I could make one suggestion though you should mention that the front edge be beveled. That edge when it hits something can be nasty not to mention it rips the skid plate off. I ground this one down

7D57A1F3 D9C4 496B A162 075FDBE3B07D

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@SuperATV If I could make one suggestion though you should mention that the front edge be beveled. That edge when it hits something can be nasty not to mention it rips the skid plate off. I ground this one down

View attachment 321634
The Trail Armor has a square front edge too, mine needs beveled. I don't think I have as much material in front of the two front bolts but there's room to ease it some.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The Trail Armor has a square front edge too, mine needs beveled. I don't think I have as much material in front of the two front bolts but there's room to ease it some.
Sss on Pioneer has the same too. Seems dumb. In Tennessee I hit a rock while suspension was under compression with a square edge, went front 25 to zero in two feet, it hurt.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sss on Pioneer has the same too. Seems dumb. In Tennessee I hit a rock while suspension was under compression with a square edge, went front 25 to zero in two feet, it hurt.
I remember that! It was nasty, u got some bad bruises on your shoulder from the seatbelts also

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 321634
My machine routinely "grazes" the sand in G-outs and it caved in the little skid on the front bumper (within 1/2" of the winch) so when I was shopping for a skid plate, I wanted one that went more forward and protected the winch too.

The only one I found was the Factory UTV unit. It is about 12" longer up front and "curls" up the front bumper. Kind of like a ski, slides over everything real nice. They do something very similar on their Pioneer skid too.

I'm surprised that no one else does this, it only makes sense...

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I remember that! It was nasty, u got some bad bruises on your shoulder from the seatbelts also
Hurt way worse then any of the roll overs. Screwed up the machine pretty good, it was awesome to see all the guys next morning working on it when woke up, love the group

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My machine routinely "grazes" the sand in G-outs and it caved in the little skid on the front bumper (within 1/2" of the winch) so when I was shopping for a skid plate, I wanted one that went more forward and protected the winch too.

The only one I found was the Factory UTV unit. It is about 12" longer up front and "curls" up the front bumper. Kind of like a ski, slides over everything real nice. They do something very similar on their Pioneer skid too.

I'm surprised that no one else does this, it only makes sense...

View attachment 321761
I like that Paul. Is that one separate from the larger portion of the skids?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like that Paul. Is that one separate from the larger portion of the skids?
Well, kind of. All their standard skids come that way and have a seam at about where the stock skid ends BUT they do sell just the front piece separately but it only fits stock skids.

It goes pretty far back so anyone with some skills, a saw, a router and some ingenuity could easily make it work...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well, kind of. All their standard skids come that way and have a seam at about where the stock skid ends BUT they do sell just the front piece separately but it only fits stock skids.

It goes pretty far back so anyone with some skills, a saw, a router and some ingenuity could easily make it work...

I gotta see how new front bumper I ordered will be in that section but that looks usable. Like it

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I like that. We could do that.
Got skids on. Looks like it’ll protect it well enough for the dirt roads. Again @SuperATV you need to package these better so they don’t get scuffed, how am I going to show off the under side of this little Princess now? Is there an improper packaging discount?

View attachment 321622

YOU GOT STICKERS!!!!!!!!!!! They do exist! 🤣 🤣 🤣

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Had a little time tonight to dink off. Didn’t know the door panel was completely ripped off door, I assumed it was unscrewed but literally every mounting tab was yarded off. Took a bit to two part urethane those back on in exact spots but got it. Then had to heat up and reshape it to fit new door as a new door panel isn’t available and expensive anyways. That’s ok she’ll get some more scuffs soon enough.
Bad ass though, installed new hinge and unbent striker latch then bolted on without adjustment the where they were, must’ve done something right as the door shuts perfectly. Happy about that! Apparently a driver door is important.
DDC7DF91 E219 45CF 966F F4435005B129
4237D5F6 CE11 4F5E 9064 4BC2F10429C5

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Had a little time tonight to dink off. Didn’t know the door panel was completely ripped off door, I assumed it was unscrewed but literally every mounting tab was yarded off. Took a bit to two part urethane those back on in exact spots but got it. Then had to heat up and reshape it to fit new door as a new door panel isn’t available and expensive anyways. That’s ok she’ll get some more scuffs soon enough.
Bad ass though, installed new hinge and unbent striker latch then bolted on without adjustment the where they were, must’ve done something right as the door shuts perfectly. Happy about that! Apparently a driver door is important.
View attachment 321803View attachment 321802
I’d just give up and buy a new Talon

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honda didn’t cheap out with headlights. Never realized they are J.W. Speaker which is one of the top aftermarket lighting companies right here in the U.S. only 13/21 Watt so not omg bright but that’s probably Honda spec. Thought worth mentioning.
I have J.W. In my truck and they put out far more light then any factory beam with a better cutoff then I’ve ever seen. Jeep guys know the brand well. Not some cheap Chinese garbage.

A8D12CF5 C524 490F B6C9 84F279FE6317

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’d just give up and buy a new Talon
They’d look the same in three weekends
Ah I gotta fix a few things but for the price I’m ok with that. Every Sxs I’ve owned has been totaled at least once, why not start out that way🤣

advertisement