HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Well been awhile since I’ve posted so figured on update. Front brakes are absolutely shot and after this weekends ride it’ll need rotors. Still running on broken low range.
Replaced air filter, it’s original and has 5300 on it. A lot of miles considering where and how the Talon has been ridden. But, it was f***ed up! Runs a little better now!
She is still doing ok.
View attachment 397431

Bit warm lately so finally broke down and got a half windshield, dealt with the heat last year and up to now with full glass but over it. Bought Tusk, it was cheapest out there. Going to break anyways.
View attachment 397428

And finally picked up some whips. Bought Boss, they seemed real tough and are easily removable. Also folding mounts and only went 2ft, I’ve had probably over 12 sets between all the machines and doubt any have lasted over a month or two regardless of what I do. Really trying on this one on where I mounted, size and everything else🙏🏻🙏🏻

View attachment 397429View attachment 397430
Let me know how those folding whip mounts work out. Also, if you run those angled down, they will fill up with water and bang off the cage. Killed a bunch of LED's on the first set I put on the Talon that I mounted in line with the rear cage facing downward.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I look at your Talon now and think about all the work and detail you put into making it pretty at the beginning of this thread. lol.

Any news on the Yammie stuck on the mountain?
Ya… it’s gone and owner doesn’t know where. I’m pretty positive it’s pushed off the mountain. I don’t think really anyone was willing to get in there and recover it, especially without a key. It would’ve had to be running not only to get out of there but to go around cliff side someone cannot tow a vehicle. The last known pic was from a couple dirt bikes, it was said to be barely resting on a small tree was it. I’m sure it’s a pile of broken parts 2000 ft down the hill. I would’ve went back up there but I wanted a signed paper saying I wasn’t held responsible in case of problems, he wasn’t willing to do that. Last thing I wanted was to be tied to it and loose two machines at my cost. f*** that.
Would be incredibly stupid to steal it anyways, it’s by far the most well known sxs in Idaho, the old man posted several times over last couple months on every site several times. So I just don’t see that.
This weekend we’re camped about 20 miles from that spot so I’ll go in and check it out, I’ll have my drone to fly over the edge and look for it.

IMG 4109
IMG 4108

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Let me know how those folding whip mounts work out. Also, if you run those angled down, they will fill up with water and bang off the cage. Killed a bunch of LED's on the first set I put on the Talon that I mounted in line with the rear cage facing downward.
The whip mounts look to work very well. My only b**** with them was I had to shim top of one and bottom of the other to get whips level with each other, the gear spacing isn’t the same if you install both release levers on the outside of the rig like you should, since they are then facing opposite directions.
But they are very stout. The whips do have quick release which I can use but honestly I’m pretty lazy so pulling them on/off through the trails doesn’t work for me, but hopefully the combination will help.
Good info on them being down. I hope their short length keeps them from moving too much.
My main problem has been smacking a tree and the whips sway past the tree I hit while moving then simply snap. I don’t think these will🙏🏻

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I look at your Talon now and think about all the work and detail you put into making it pretty at the beginning of this thread. lol.

Any news on the Yammie stuck on the mountain?
I do too🥺 happens with every machine when it’s new for me, I like to see what they are made of and fix what fails and learn different accessory mount locations then go again. Learned a lot on the Talon lol.
This winter I will go back through it, honestly it’s mainly plastics failure, I’ll get it stronger and probably be a bit easier on it. Want to get it at least nicer looking again, I really like this machine, I’ll try to use Pioneer more for the tight woods or at least not lead through them. There’s much less snapping noise with Pioneer. Talon just isn’t made for these woods but that’s ok.
Talon has by far been the most durable and dependable machine, at least mechanically. It’ll be fine

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll know more this weekend when I get it home, don’t wanna get too ahead of myself but the way it was hit really seems to keep it localized. I may be asking some of you guys for a couple measurements. I know you know these things very well and respect what you have to say
But I’ve been in auto body for over 30 years and have equipment to get anything done. Frame rack measurement system and all. As of right now I do believe it’s 100% repairable. If I don’t feel comfortable with repair then replacement.
Friend that checked it out I trust and he looked over well. Not saying there might be a surprise because there usually is but running gear looks great.
now this machine isn’t exactly the first I’ve rebuilt and a couple were much worse, and to be completely honest they are drastically easier then cutting up a 100k+ BMW and getting it right LOL.
I plan to be in this very reasonable so there’s room if needed. No matter what she’ll be safe.
Not to hijack your thread, but if all you had was a old school single arm unibody puller would have you done anything differently other than taking a crap load more measurements via tape and tramgauge…

Just curious. I’m seeing some Talons on Copart that are in reasonable hauling distance for me finally.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not to hijack your thread, but if all you had was a old school single arm unibody puller would have you done anything differently other than taking a crap load more measurements via tape and tramgauge…

Just curious. I’m seeing some Talons on Copart that are in reasonable hauling distance for me finally.
You already know this but - one of our members bought a Copart Talon, not only was it wrecked, the engine was blown which required new cases. :oops: He won't save a dime buying wrecked, lessons I don't want to learn - be careful out there.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You already know this but - one of our members bought a Copart Talon, not only was it wrecked, the engine was blown which required new cases. :oops: He won't save a dime buying wrecked, lessons I don't want to learn - be careful out there.
I’ve rebuilt quite a few salvage vehicles. Won on most, lost on a few….

I’m not in it for the money savings per sey more of a hobby.

If you buy a salvage vehicle to rebuild, you have to approach it as if it’s already junked…you’re essentially gambling your time and money. You must bid accordingly.

After all, there’s a reason they are on the insurance auction, and it’s not because the rig was driven by granny or gramps and always shedded.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

No. The metal is so thin that it looses all its strength with any buckling. Even if you pulled it back where it was originally it’s lost strength.
When I got into it there is just so much in that a post coming together and it was all compromised. Replacement was only logical choice whether be new frame, sectioned part or hand built piece. Obviously sectioned is easiest. The machine has since taken as many hard hits as anyone without a totaled out machine and hasn’t flaked any paint. I’m not worried on the repair and never was. Had it been pulled there would’ve always been doubt and probably failure by now.
Had it been just front section I may have built my own part, but doubt just pulled

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No. The metal is so thin that it looses all its strength with any buckling. Even if you pulled it back where it was originally it’s lost strength.
When I got into it there is just so much in that a post coming together and it was all compromised. Replacement was only logical choice whether be new frame, sectioned part or hand built piece. Obviously sectioned is easiest. The machine has since taken as many hard hits as anyone without a totaled out machine and hasn’t flaked any paint. I’m not worried on the repair and never was. Had it been pulled there would’ve always been doubt and probably failure by now.
Had it been just front section I may have built my own part, but doubt just pulled
Thanks for the advice.

in the end it’s likely faster any way just to replace the section of frame anyway. You’d also get a peek at more of the machine this way as well.

👍

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once upon a time, I'd have been horrified by that filter but not anymore. Most heavy equipment uses pleated filters in environments as bad as the Talon's and they do just fine. Guys are replacing their filters much too often IMO. I love my snorkel and oiled foam prefilter but I'm not sure it would last in your environment. :oops: The advantage to a snorkeled prefilter is that you can see it without taking the stock airbox nightmare apart (and hoping you don't cause a leak) - and change it with a spare in minutes.

I also believe that guys clean their foam filters too soon. This was filthy at 600 miles IIRC. :eek: The problem is that the primitive FI on our Talons doesn't sample and adjust when running, it only samples just before start-up, not when the engine is running so it can't lean out when the airflow is restricted, its only knowledge is the preset mapping. :(
View attachment 397438
If the machine is only running on a static mapping based on a pre start measurement….doesn’t it make an argument for keeping a clean paper filter in the box if that’s all you’re running? Box leaks off would be the other reason for checking.

I agree about people changing oiled filters too early.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If the machine is only running on a static mapping based on a pre start measurement….doesn’t it make an argument for keeping a clean paper filter in the box if that’s all you’re running? Box leaks off would be the other reason for checking.

I agree about people changing oiled filters too early.
Yes, it does. 👍

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ya… it’s gone and owner doesn’t know where. I’m pretty positive it’s pushed off the mountain. I don’t think really anyone was willing to get in there and recover it, especially without a key. It would’ve had to be running not only to get out of there but to go around cliff side someone cannot tow a vehicle. The last known pic was from a couple dirt bikes, it was said to be barely resting on a small tree was it. I’m sure it’s a pile of broken parts 2000 ft down the hill. I would’ve went back up there but I wanted a signed paper saying I wasn’t held responsible in case of problems, he wasn’t willing to do that. Last thing I wanted was to be tied to it and loose two machines at my cost. f*** that.
Would be incredibly stupid to steal it anyways, it’s by far the most well known sxs in Idaho, the old man posted several times over last couple months on every site several times. So I just don’t see that.
This weekend we’re camped about 20 miles from that spot so I’ll go in and check it out, I’ll have my drone to fly over the edge and look for it.

View attachment 397439View attachment 397440
Looks like that motorcycle trail wasn't wide enough for him.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talon has by far been the most durable and dependable machine, at least mechanically.
I've been noticing that they beefed up a lot of things on the Talons that they learned were weak spots on the P1000. The most recent one I saw was the larger front ball joints. It seems many of these things made it into the 2022 version of the Pioneer, but I'm not clear on where they stand now.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've been noticing that they beefed up a lot of things on the Talons that they learned were weak spots on the P1000. The most recent one I saw was the larger front ball joints. It seems many of these things made it into the 2022 version of the Pioneer, but I'm not clear on where they stand now.
Ya it’s a lot stronger out of the gate

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!