P1000 Fox shock adj clicker Broken

Katoum

Katoum

Jun 27, 2016
Kelowna, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fox Adjustment clicker no longer clicks into any of 3 positions. Anyone have knowledge of what and how to repair. This is a 2018 LTD edition P10005P

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you tried smacking it?

Richard is going to holler at you again :D

Hopefully it’s just the handle/knob stripped and not internal problem with shock. I don’t know the answer but am curious

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fox Adjustment clicker no longer clicks into any of 3 positions. Anyone have knowledge of what and how to repair. This is a 2018 LTD edition P10005P

Has it been this way since you got the machine or did it just start?

I have a 2018 LE and I had noticed that some of my shocks began to have less and less of a distinct "Click" when switching between modes.

Recently there has been talk about the valve system that keeps the "air" (really nitrogen) charge in the socks. If you look at the bottom of the reservoir you'll see a small pin hole. The valve is much like what is in a basketball or football. Many have found that the valve is inadequate and does not hold a high enough air charge. Many have chose to buy new reservoir caps with a schraeder valve in them.

Yesterday I replaced the reservoir caps on mine and will go get them re filled with nitrogen this week. I had been thinking about people having your same issue with the knob and...... SURE ENOUGH, when there is no air pressure in the system the knob turns with no distinct "click". It just turns smoothly from 1 to 3.

SO, I would hypothesis that your shock does not have an adequate nitrogen charge. The consensus is that they need to be charged to 200PSI.

Katoum

Katoum

Jun 27, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has it been this way since you got the machine or did it just start?

I have a 2018 LE and I had noticed that some of my shocks began to have less and less of a distinct "Click" when switching between modes.

Recently there has been talk about the valve system that keeps the "air" (really nitrogen) charge in the socks. If you look at the bottom of the reservoir you'll see a small pin hole. The valve is much like what is in a basketball or football. Many have found that the valve is inadequate and does not hold a high enough air charge. Many have chose to buy new reservoir caps with a schraeder valve in them.

Yesterday I replaced the reservoir caps on mine and will go get them re filled with nitrogen this week. I had been thinking about people having your same issue with the knob and...... SURE ENOUGH, when there is no air pressure in the system the knob turns with no distinct "click". It just turns smoothly from 1 to 3.

SO, I would hypothesis that your shock does not have an adequate nitrogen charge. The consensus is that they need to be charged to 200PSI.

Interesting observation, I have ridden motorcycles off-road most of my life and quite familiar with working on reservoir shocks mostly on WP, not so much Fox. I’ll pull shock and take it to Parker Powersport, to check for gas pressure. Not sure how detent is designed with Fox but low nitrogen pressure as you said could apply pressure to detent popit valve. I did notice when dialed to soft I dad no significant rebound damping, I have survived last weekend riding by cranking to full firm, and damping is barely adequate. Does anyone know if Fox uses a bladder in reservoir instead of O-ring piston? Thanks for your help, really appreciated, it’s what makes this site such a benefit to everyone, JTW should try and remember this.

Reactions: TripleB
J

JTW

Interesting observation, I have ridden motorcycles off-road most of my life and quite familiar with working on reservoir shocks mostly on WP, not so much Fox. I’ll pull shock and take it to Parker Powersport, to check for gas pressure. Not sure how detent is designed with Fox but low nitrogen pressure as you said could apply pressure to detent popit valve. I did notice when dialed to soft I dad no significant rebound damping, I have survived last weekend riding by cranking to full firm, and damping is barely adequate. Does anyone know if Fox uses a bladder in reservoir instead of O-ring piston? Thanks for your help, really appreciated, it’s what makes this site such a benefit to everyone, JTW should try and remember this.
Have you tried wax paper?

Might help your candy ass from sticking to your panties!!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hang around a while. It’s a great group. You’ll either find JTW hysterical or despise him. Not too many that don’t have an opinion about him. ;)

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

The problems you are experiencing are the same as what I noticed as well as @Ragnar406 and some others. The low pressure is allowing them to overheat quickly and the oil begins to foam. Then it doesn't work with any sort of consistency. When replacing the reservoir caps I'd say these appear to be a O ring piston and not a bladder but I am not a shock expert.

Here is what several of us have swapped out to. FOX Shock UTV High Volume Nitrogen Reservoir Replacement Endcaps | Schmidty Racing

You can also remove your caps, drill them out, and tap them for a new schrader valve and save quite a bit.

Yea @JTW is definitely a PITA. He really strives for attention, and he can't seem to add anything productive.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
J

JTW

The problems you are experiencing are the same as what I noticed as well as @Ragnar406 and some others. The low pressure is allowing them to overheat quickly and the oil begins to foam. Then it doesn't work with any sort of consistency. When replacing the reservoir caps I'd say these appear to be a O ring piston and not a bladder but I am not a shock expert.

Here is what several of us have swapped out to. FOX Shock UTV High Volume Nitrogen Reservoir Replacement Endcaps | Schmidty Racing

You can also remove your caps, drill them out, and tap them for a new schrader valve and save quite a bit.

Yea @JTW is definitely a PITA. He really strives for attention, and he can't seem to add anything productive.
Lmao.. with friends like you what’s a guy to expect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Katoum

Katoum

Jun 27, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks for everyone’s help, pulled the shock and had Anything Off-road in Lake Havasu drill and tap endcap, install Schaefer, and pressure to 150 psi. I asked about going to 200 psi as others here suggested and they advised against it, stating that it would generate to much heat for stock reservoir.

advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for everyone’s help, pulled the shock and had Anything Off-road in Lake Havasu drill and tap endcap, install Schaefer, and pressure to 150 psi. I asked about going to 200 psi as others here suggested and they advised against it, stating that it would generate to much heat for stock reservoir.
That that solve the clicker issue

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!