Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand that you had a disappointing experience at the Takeover event, and it seems like there were miscommunications and assumptions made on both sides that contributed to your dissatisfaction. It appears that you may have overlooked or misunderstood some of the information and instructions that were provided in the forum for the event.

1. For example, you mentioned the lack of people in brightly colored shirts to greet and check you in, but it was never communicated that such a system would be in place. The instructions for meal tickets and pickup locations were clearly outlined in the forum, which could have prevented any confusion.… see this link for the instructions that were given TWO WEEKS until the 2023 HondaSxS Club's Pioneer Takeover Group Ride.
    1. “The Club Sponsored Food/Meal
      The club has always tried to sponsor a meal. And we will continue that this year with a few changes. We will issue meal tickets to everyone who has registered. These can be picked up at either the RED TENT if we are there... or at RV spot 16/17/18 if we are there. This is the last 2 before the stage.
      The best time to get pick these up would be Friday morning, and all day Saturday. They are good anytime of the day and I recommend you use them sooner than later to prevent a long wait Saturday evening. They will be good for 1 combo at either DTF Market or at FATZ's Red catering truck. Which will be close to the stage.”
  2. Group rides –
    1. Night ride was a disaster – not joking when I say most night rides are not as they seem
    2. Group rides – you stated that the rides did not take off from the place they stated they were going to take off from – but clearly you found yourself in two different rides
All the ride guides are volunteer – so much that they just volunteer to lead a group without being asked …

1. 2023 Take Over Ride List here is thread they were planned in … if not mistaken you saw and posted in this thread and did not sign up any of the rides
  1. The Band
    1. t's good to hear that you enjoyed the band and their genre of music. Music can be an important aspect of any event and contribute to the overall enjoyment.
  2. Raffle tickets - really don’t understand your gripe here…Seems to me you are reaching for things to list as a complaint
  3. Regarding you attempt to interact and being rejected –
    1. I find it difficult to believe that you and your wife made multiple attempts to interact with people and were completely ignored or rejected. It's possible that there were some missed opportunities for connection, but based on my understanding of the HondaSXS community, the majority of members are welcoming and inclusive. It's unfortunate if you encountered individuals who were less friendly, but they don't represent the entire community.
    2. I don’t even have a honda anymore, worst yet I am one of the damned KRX converters and I was nothing but welcomed by anyone I engaged with….
    3. If you met Smitty you likely could not get away from his hospitality
8. Pretty much it is a good bet anyone with a honda or a HondaSXS Tshirt was there to be apart of the event…. Yes you may have met the only 2 hondas that were not with the group but I think your stretching

In summary, it appears that your expectations were not aligned with the nature of the event, which led to your disappointment. The Takeover event is not intended to be a white-glove service experience, but rather a gathering of Honda enthusiasts. It's understandable that you may have had different expectations based on your previous experiences, but it's important to approach each event with an open mind and a willingness to adapt. I'm sorry that the event didn't meet your expectations, and I hope you can find a different adventure that aligns more closely with what you're seeking.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ll say this to respond to the initial comment. I’ve been around here on the daily for about (1) year. Missed last year’s TO with my mom’s stroke, and MOM due to ball. That being said I’ve met up with others on here for rides and got to briefly make TO this year. This group doesn’t spoon feed, you have to take a little initiative on your own. Some of the rides were posted in advance with pretty specific details. Others weren’t. Part of the forum is making relationships (nomo) and interacting and planning. Once that happens things tend to fall into place. Taking your comments with a grain of salt, but at the same time what you said was basically a slap to Richard’s face. This place and the TO/MOM is fantastic, and it can be as much or as little as YOU make it.

I have no ragrets!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have discussed a posting a "silver riders" group ride in the past. Leave later, return sooner, all green trails, geared towards new riders or beginners.

Yes I would say we failed in this category fairly hard.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
In the past that turned into the extreme group lol.
@Adam490 led a nice family friendly ride to tackett to see the sites that was advertised.
Perhaps next year we can be a little more clear on some rides for the new attendees, but also in the past some of those turned into a flop, meet at 9am. At the stage and you got the 3 volunteers that signed up to lead it is all. I mean we're not fishers atv world type events where he has warn and other manufacturers or huge country stars. I think Jackal does great on his tours. Always room for improvement. Most people aren't as forward as I was when I met you all and just said I'm going where your going.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand that you had a disappointing experience at the Takeover event, and it seems like there were miscommunications and assumptions made on both sides that contributed to your dissatisfaction. It appears that you may have overlooked or misunderstood some of the information and instructions that were provided in the forum for the event.

1. For example, you mentioned the lack of people in brightly colored shirts to greet and check you in, but it was never communicated that such a system would be in place. The instructions for meal tickets and pickup locations were clearly outlined in the forum, which could have prevented any confusion.… see this link for the instructions that were given TWO WEEKS until the 2023 HondaSxS Club's Pioneer Takeover Group Ride.
    1. “The Club Sponsored Food/Meal
      The club has always tried to sponsor a meal. And we will continue that this year with a few changes. We will issue meal tickets to everyone who has registered. These can be picked up at either the RED TENT if we are there... or at RV spot 16/17/18 if we are there. This is the last 2 before the stage.
      The best time to get pick these up would be Friday morning, and all day Saturday. They are good anytime of the day and I recommend you use them sooner than later to prevent a long wait Saturday evening. They will be good for 1 combo at either DTF Market or at FATZ's Red catering truck. Which will be close to the stage.”
  2. Group rides –
    1. Night ride was a disaster – not joking when I say most night rides are not as they seem
    2. Group rides – you stated that the rides did not take off from the place they stated they were going to take off from – but clearly you found yourself in two different rides
All the ride guides are volunteer – so much that they just volunteer to lead a group without being asked …

1. 2023 Take Over Ride List here is thread they were planned in … if not mistaken you saw and posted in this thread and did not sign up any of the rides
  1. The Band
    1. t's good to hear that you enjoyed the band and their genre of music. Music can be an important aspect of any event and contribute to the overall enjoyment.
  2. Raffle tickets - really don’t understand your gripe here…Seems to me you are reaching for things to list as a complaint
  3. Regarding you attempt to interact and being rejected –
    1. I find it difficult to believe that you and your wife made multiple attempts to interact with people and were completely ignored or rejected. It's possible that there were some missed opportunities for connection, but based on my understanding of the HondaSXS community, the majority of members are welcoming and inclusive. It's unfortunate if you encountered individuals who were less friendly, but they don't represent the entire community.
    2. I don’t even have a honda anymore, worst yet I am one of the damned KRX converters and I was nothing but welcomed by anyone I engaged with….
    3. If you met Smitty you likely could not get away from his hospitality
8. Pretty much it is a good bet anyone with a honda or a HondaSXS Tshirt was there to be apart of the event…. Yes you may have met the only 2 hondas that were not with the group but I think your stretching

In summary, it appears that your expectations were not aligned with the nature of the event, which led to your disappointment. The Takeover event is not intended to be a white-glove service experience, but rather a gathering of Honda enthusiasts. It's understandable that you may have had different expectations based on your previous experiences, but it's important to approach each event with an open mind and a willingness to adapt. I'm sorry that the event didn't meet your expectations, and I hope you can find a different adventure that aligns more closely with what you're seeking.
Not the hfawha night ride. We're high functioning and never lost anyone out of 40+. Must of been the ntc night ride your referencing lol

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the past that turned into the extreme group lol.
@Adam490 led a nice family friendly ride to tackett to see the sites that was advertised.
Perhaps next year we can be a little more clear on some rides for the new attendees, but also in the past some of those turned into a flop, meet at 9am. At the stage and you got the 3 volunteers that signed up to lead it is all. I mean we're not fishers atv world type events where he has warn and other manufacturers or huge country stars. I think Jackal does great on his tours. Always room for improvement. Most people aren't as forward as I was when I met you all and just said I'm going where your going.
@Plumber32 @The Green Goat did a great job listing out the group rides … and the OP posted in the thread so he was aware of them

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Not the hfawha night ride. We're high functioning and never lost anyone out of 40+. Must of been the ntc night ride your referencing lol
🤔....... can't loose anyone if you're too drunk to remember who was there to begin with!!!.....🤷‍♂️😂😂😂

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've found lowering your expectations or making the most of the situation typically has a more positive outcome.

I've definitely enjoyed takeover and will enjoy it in the future. If all else fails with the group rides there's hundreds of miles of trails to enjoy and you'll meet people along the way.

advertisement
GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also, if I remember correctly a (lifetime) member even offered to let the op camp/boondock on his property when op was working on accommodations.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Observations and things I learned at the 2023 take over.

To understand my perspective you must first know my experience. I’ve been a motor sport / gear head all my life. I’ve ridden in groups with Goldwings, trucks, dirt bikes, ATV’s, PWC’s, canoes and Kayaks even horses. Thats 50 years of group riding experience. I attend annual gatherings of like minded people to socialize and glean ideas, and help each other anyway we can. (One group generally has around 300 rigs, twice a year) I also have miles and miles of riding that doesn’t cost a penny, paying to ride goes against my nature but tolerable for the right place with the right people.

This is my wife and I’s perspective from what we encountered. I don’t need or want an explanation. I’m only providing this for the few who might actually give a sh!t.

Observation
1. Extremely disorganized. If you’ve attended multiple TO’s and know what going on and who people are, it helps. But for a new person, it’s chaos and a complete cluster f***. When we arrived on Fri. there was no one there to greet us or help us get settled.

No designated information center or people person to talk to. Why couldn’t helpers all wear a bright colored shirt and hat to identify who they are. I asked Richard and he says one thing, then go to the person he said to go to and they say something different. Told we would meet at a certain point for a ride, they left from a different location so we were left behind.

2. Group rides are a disaster. First group we went with was a night ride. The group split multiple times and went in different directions. Heading back home people left in different directions and split into multiple groups. Guide? There was no guide, Richard was on that ride, he told me one thing then did something else. Someone else tried to help and sent me down a black trail at night, which no one else took. I had to turn around where there was no place to turn around.

Second group ride I was on has been discussed thoroughly in another thread. Side of the trail fighting biting flies for two hours +, never reached our destination. Every other group I’ve ever riden with has a recovery team designated prior to the ride. Groups need a lead, a drag and recovery team. Most groups standard were, 30 min to get’m rolling or it’s time for the group to go and recovery team takes over.

3. Band was decent / good and I enjoyed the genre they played.

4. I didn’t really care because I didn’t buy raffle tickets, but I heard multiple people complaining about the system used where they get to choose whatever prize they want. After a few top prizes were gone people started leaving. I don’t know, maybe that’s intentional.

5. The wife and I made multiple attempts to meet people and interact. We left feeling very unwelcome. NOT ONE PERSON INVITED US TO JOIN IN ANYTHING… Not a ride, a meal, a drink, a chair or even a conversation… nothing. We felt like the third person on a date. We approach a campsite with folks sitting around, no one gets out of their chair to greet us, introduce ourselves they say hi but don’t introduce themselves. I’ve seen sooooo many post about how great everybody is on here… from my experience thats BS. Maybe to the clicks they’ve already formed, but anyone else is an outsider and made to feel that way. In fact some people were down right A-holes who acted like we were idiots for not knowing what was going on. (One guy, I can’t remember name, met on the trail when going solo to top of the world. Saw him in camp and he came to talk to us, nice guy cheerful and friendly. Still didn’t introduce anyone, or suggest any activity.)

I’m saying this only as a gauge to how we felt:

I attended a camping event where most everyone there is in a home made / self converted camper. School busses, box trucks, cargo trailers… etc. 95% of everyone there was hard core liberals. I’m hard core conservative. We felt so much more welcome by them than we did this group. Stop, take a breath and think about that.

6. I commented a little about my experience at the TO and the reply was I need to plan better if I’m going to travel that far and should stay longer. KMFA!!!! I planned based on the information posted in the forum which I’ve now learned is really just kind of a suggestion. (See #1) If you already know whats going on from multiple events, and know everyone I’m sure it’s easier. This was scheduled for two days, I was there both days. It sucked. (BTW RRB site plainly says check in NO EARLIER THAN 3pm, rides are scheduled for that morning, see any problems?)

7. I don’t know who the guy was, but I ask him if he was going on one of the group rides. He laughed and said “no, I ain’t riding with these folks, tried it, won’t go no more” and he drove away before I could ask anymore questions.

So this guy has attended multiple events and has came to the conclusion he’s better off riding solo with a GPS. What does that tell ya?

8. Location. The group was scattered all over the place. Trying to figure out whos with us and who isn’t was a pain. I found two machines with “hondasxs” decals who told me they weren’t there for the TO. By now we should know an average attendance and should be able to negotiate a price, and area for the group. Registration and fees should all go through the forum. Pre registration maybe get a small discount in order to have a solid negotiating tool. An example would be 10% for 90 day pre register, 5% for 45 days. They save a little and attendance numbers are more defined prior to the event.

Richard, I can connect you with the organizers of the camping event and I know they’ll be glad to answer any questions or explain how and why they do what they do. It’s up to you, if your happy with it the way it is… then that’s fine, it’s your bicycle, you can ride it any way you want. Also, they ask for volunteers for certain events and provide discounts of fees to those who help. This way attendees can go tackle one function for a few hours and they are done, no one is stuck working the whole time, not even you. You're missing out on a LOT of money.

9. Meal tickets. These worked out well. My Sandwich was pretty good.

10. Haldog77 & Jackal are stand up good folks. They were patient and helpful, thanks guys.

For us, we didn’t get to see anything on a group ride. We went to the top of the world on Friday when no one was around. Thats it, that’s all we got to see. We sat and ate and tried to talk to people… nope. I burned a little over ½ tank of fuel. I’ve done more than that in my back yard.

Our goal was to get acclimated to the group, scout it out and decide if my brother (p700) and son in law (polaris ranger) and “partner in crime” (p-700) and a couple of other guys we ride with would want to attend. If it would be something my grandkids would enjoy. The kids looked like they were having fun and my grandkids would have a blast. But it’d be stupid to attend just for the grandkids.
The wife and I won't be back, lesson learned. Get a GPS for trails and avoid the group, just like the guy who drove off said. (see #7)

I won’t be spending my money and energy to be treated like a leper, and do no riding or socializing. Others say plan better come back and get use to it, stay longer… why would I spend more money to be miserable? Why do I need to spend more money and energy to “learn” how an event works.

After all this you may think I’mma big ole A-hole cry baby, you can think whatever you like. But I’m the new guy looking for a place to spend a little money, have a blast riding and meeting people who enjoy the same things. I don’t know, but how many people have the same experience and just walk away with no comment? I’ve seen several comments about people who don’t stick around. I’m (new people) the one who needs to be drawn in. Our perspective is the groups feel like they’re big enough and they don’t want anyone else, and they could care less about growing this event.

Message received.
It’s obvious you and your wife didn’t enjoy the TO! There was plenty of opportunity for a wonderful/fun time to be had!!!
On our first trip to RRB, we didn’t know anyone!
We had no clue what we were getting into! We just wanted to ride our Honda, see something new, and possibly forget about reality for a few days! Everyone we met that first day were very personal, helpful, and sincere! With that being said, ……EVERYONE we have met at any of the events posted here on this online/internet community have been more than helpful/willing to answer my dumb questions (and I’ve asked a lot of them)!!!!
Yes, there will always be mistakes made with any event of any kind!

Please remember we’re all only human, this isn’t a perfect liberal world!

We travel 1914 miles round trip, to hang out with these quality people and enjoy every minute of it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hmmm? I booked my room last year, marked my calendar and showed up Wednesday evening about dark. My girl friend and I got our machine off the trailer and hit the trails. Nothing planned, just ran up on groups everyday and tagged along. Everyone was overly nice and took us in and made us part of their group rides. We were supposed to go on the Prison ride Friday, but got my wires crossed on where to meet. We arrived late at the RRB Stage after the group had departed and was immediately welcomed to come along on a ride which Remington was leading. Great group, fun time and great ride. We even had a long haired Wiener Dawg riding in our group. No bug spray needed during our entire experience. Had a flat heading back to our room and made 4 additional friends while fixing the tire. Went out Saturday and invited ourselves on another ride and had a blast. Only person I never ran into was (Rick) Smitty and you and your wife I'm guessing? BTW, we were in a green P1K-5 with the old dude with the wild, long hair with the cute blonde. We even had a colorful cat named Ed who kept everyone in stitches on our Friday ride. I'll be back next year unless someone feels we shouldn't return. Speak now folks or beware.
I missed a lot of members I wanted to ride with, and you were one of them, dang it! Just Dad and me. This year I would would see someone that I wanted to ride with that I had never ridden with and tell them, I'm going with you. And went, had a blast!

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
CB said[ After all this you may think I’mma big ole A-hole cry baby, you can think whatever you like. But I’m the new guy looking for a place to spend a little money, have a blast riding and meeting people who enjoy the same things. I don’t know, but how many people have the same experience and just walk away with no comment? I’ve seen several comments about people who don’t stick around. I’m (new people) the one who needs to be drawn in. Our perspective is the groups feel like they’re big enough and they don’t want anyone else, and they could care less about growing this event.]
I agree with this part completely I think your expectations got in the way of your reading comprehension on what has been posted about the event. You seem the kind that blame everyone else and in no way can it be you.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
How dare you just show up and tag along on ride you weren't supposed to be a part of, that's just unheard of bro.... not cool!!! You can't just go with the flow on these kinda things.......🤦‍♂️

Sounds like y'all had a blast!!! 👍 What it's all about 🤷‍♂️
I've never been accused of being bashful and thankfully everyone was friendly and accommodating.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

To understand my perspective you must first know my experience. I’ve been a motor sport / gear head all my life. I’ve ridden in groups with Goldwings, trucks, dirt bikes, ATV’s, PWC’s, canoes and Kayaks even horses. Thats 50 years of group riding experience. I attend annual gatherings of like minded people to socialize and glean ideas, and help each other anyway we can. (One group generally has around 300 rigs, twice a year) I also have miles and miles of riding that doesn’t cost a penny, paying to ride goes against my nature but tolerable for the right place with the right people.

This is my wife and I’s perspective from what we encountered. I don’t need or want an explanation. I’m only providing this for the few who might actually give a sh!t.

Observation
1. Extremely disorganized. If you’ve attended multiple TO’s and know what going on and who people are, it helps. But for a new person, it’s chaos and a complete cluster f***. When we arrived on Fri. there was no one there to greet us or help us get settled.

No designated information center or people person to talk to. Why couldn’t helpers all wear a bright colored shirt and hat to identify who they are. I asked Richard and he says one thing, then go to the person he said to go to and they say something different. Told we would meet at a certain point for a ride, they left from a different location so we were left behind.

2. Group rides are a disaster. First group we went with was a night ride. The group split multiple times and went in different directions. Heading back home people left in different directions and split into multiple groups. Guide? There was no guide, Richard was on that ride, he told me one thing then did something else. Someone else tried to help and sent me down a black trail at night, which no one else took. I had to turn around where there was no place to turn around.

Second group ride I was on has been discussed thoroughly in another thread. Side of the trail fighting biting flies for two hours +, never reached our destination. Every other group I’ve ever riden with has a recovery team designated prior to the ride. Groups need a lead, a drag and recovery team. Most groups standard were, 30 min to get’m rolling or it’s time for the group to go and recovery team takes over.

4. I didn’t really care because I didn’t buy raffle tickets, but I heard multiple people complaining about the system used where they get to choose whatever prize they want. After a few top prizes were gone people started leaving. I don’t know, maybe that’s intentional.

5. The wife and I made multiple attempts to meet people and interact. We left feeling very unwelcome. NOT ONE PERSON INVITED US TO JOIN IN ANYTHING… Not a ride, a meal, a drink, a chair or even a conversation… nothing. We felt like the third person on a date. We approach a campsite with folks sitting around, no one gets out of their chair to greet us, introduce ourselves they say hi but don’t introduce themselves. I’ve seen sooooo many post about how great everybody is on here… from my experience thats BS. Maybe to the clicks they’ve already formed, but anyone else is an outsider and made to feel that way. In fact some people were down right A-holes who acted like we were idiots for not knowing what was going on. (One guy, I can’t remember name, met on the trail when going solo to top of the world. Saw him in camp and he came to talk to us, nice guy cheerful and friendly. Still didn’t introduce anyone, or suggest any activity.)

I attended a camping event where most everyone there is in a home made / self converted camper. School busses, box trucks, cargo trailers… etc. 95% of everyone there was hard core liberals. I’m hard core conservative. We felt so much more welcome by them than we did this group. Stop, take a breath and think about that.

6. I commented a little about my experience at the TO and the reply was I need to plan better if I’m going to travel that far and should stay longer. KMFA!!!! I planned based on the information posted in the forum which I’ve now learned is really just kind of a suggestion. (See #1) If you already know whats going on from multiple events, and know everyone I’m sure it’s easier. This was scheduled for two days, I was there both days. It sucked. (BTW RRB site plainly says check in NO EARLIER THAN 3pm, rides are scheduled for that morning, see any problems?)

7. I don’t know who the guy was, but I ask him if he was going on one of the group rides. He laughed and said “no, I ain’t riding with these folks, tried it, won’t go no more” and he drove away before I could ask anymore questions.

So this guy has attended multiple events and has came to the conclusion he’s better off riding solo with a GPS. What does that tell ya?

8. Location. The group was scattered all over the place. Trying to figure out whos with us and who isn’t was a pain. I found two machines with “hondasxs” decals who told me they weren’t there for the TO. By now we should know an average attendance and should be able to negotiate a price, and area for the group. Registration and fees should all go through the forum. Pre registration maybe get a small discount in order to have a solid negotiating tool. An example would be 10% for 90 day pre register, 5% for 45 days. They save a little and attendance numbers are more defined prior to the event.

Richard, I can connect you with the organizers of the camping event and I know they’ll be glad to answer any questions or explain how and why they do what they do. It’s up to you, if your happy with it the way it is… then that’s fine, it’s your bicycle, you can ride it any way you want. Also, they ask for volunteers for certain events and provide discounts of fees to those who help. This way attendees can go tackle one function for a few hours and they are done, no one is stuck working the whole time, not even you. You're missing out on a LOT of money.

10. Haldog77 & Jackal are stand up good folks. They were patient and helpful, thanks guys.

For us, we didn’t get to see anything on a group ride. We went to the top of the world on Friday when no one was around. Thats it, that’s all we got to see. We sat and ate and tried to talk to people… nope. I burned a little over ½ tank of fuel. I’ve done more than that in my back yard.

Our goal was to get acclimated to the group, scout it out and decide if my brother (p700) and son in law (polaris ranger) and “partner in crime” (p-700) and a couple of other guys we ride with would want to attend. If it would be something my grandkids would enjoy. The kids looked like they were having fun and my grandkids would have a blast. But it’d be stupid to attend just for the grandkids.
The wife and I won't be back, lesson learned. Get a GPS for trails and avoid the group, just like the guy who drove off said. (see #7)

I won’t be spending my money and energy to be treated like a leper, and do no riding or socializing. Others say plan better come back and get use to it, stay longer… why would I spend more money to be miserable? Why do I need to spend more money and energy to “learn” how an event works.

After all this you may think I’mma big ole A-hole cry baby, you can think whatever you like. But I’m the new guy looking for a place to spend a little money, have a blast riding and meeting people who enjoy the same things. I don’t know, but how many people have the same experience and just walk away with no comment? I’ve seen several comments about people who don’t stick around. I’m (new people) the one who needs to be drawn in. Our perspective is the groups feel like they’re big enough and they don’t want anyone else, and they could care less about growing this event.

Message received.
I missed this year but I have been to several Takeovers and have never experienced what you’re describing. I literally unloaded off the trailer and found some groups and tagged along. It seems your experience wasn’t that great but I would suggest at least considering attending one more time. No group is perfect but @Hondasxs, and many others put a lot of work into this event. Using the forum as a resource during the TO can make it a better experience.

Hope this helps and hopefully we will see you next year.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Observation

Message received.

I read your post, you make several valid points. That said, this year was my 8th Takeover and while the number of attendees is a few hundred, it has never been much more than a show up and ride and get to know people. Now, I'm not much of a big social guy, I am terrible with names. I can see how first time attendees can be confused by the fast and loose way the Takeover happens.

To that end, yes it's like herding cats every year. Not that it's bad, but I never know exactly how many people/ machines are going on a particular ride until it's time to go. Still, it's not completely a crapshoot, but it does involve reading a good bit on the forum, although like 30ish posts prior to mine you have to get past the juvenile comments of the long time cronies. They forget what it was like thier first time. Many members get to know each other on these forums and over time become very acquainted with different members "unique" personalities.

Takeover is announced publicly not long before Thanksgiving and people who make reservations between then and approximately end of year do get a 20% Hondasxs Takeover discount at the 3 campgrounds affiliated with RRB. Here was the last announcement from 11/17/22.

I'm sure it would be helpful to have Ride info and sign up sheets at the main tent, but the vast majority have it sorted out what they think they want to do each day based on posts here in the forum about various group rides.

Also there is a helpful Takeover information thread for people new to it, we all have taken it for granted and don't point it out unless someone asks about it. Here is one small example from 2021: General Info... 2021 Pioneer Takeover

Also 2019: 2019 Pioneer Takeover ITINERARY and INFO!

Like your post back in May asking questions about Takeover in the forum, that's the best way to figure things out in advance. Like you everyone who shows up is eager to go as many travel long distances and scheduled vacation off work to attend. While it would be helpful to have people at the tent all the time, people just want to get out and go. Unfortunately your mid day timing for arrival on Friday was not optimal for meeting many people as they took off about 10AM, usually because of the vast area to ride most don’t go mid afternoon. Unless it's a night ride, and my night ride experiences mirror your posts. I take my butt to bed 😆 and let the phony tuff and crazy brave feed the bugs while working on machines trail side, then getting lost from half the group at night.

All that said Takeover is a super casual get together with no hard set itinerary beyond the Saturday evening meal, band, get together. Maybe that’s bass ackwards, and we should have a meet and greet at the beginning, but too many people arrive at last minute because of work, family, etc.

A person does have to take the initiative to meet people and stating up front, hey I'm so and so and I'm new to all this can you help me. If you get the right people, you will learn a lot and make friends, just gotta ignore the sarcastic kids that already know everything and didn't have to learn like us.

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!