P500 Torq-Masters torq locker feedback

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I just want to mention two very important steps in the install instructions that JWB created. First off , @JWB you did a excellent job with the install instructions (very thorough)

Very important

Page 8 steps C and D of instructions
you want to REUSE these thrust washers !!!!

Page 9 step F of instructions
You do NOT reuse the cone washers !!!!!
Thanks again @Chooglin ! I just opened my computer and saw the questions- had me worried for a second there. I hope everyone reads the install manual completely, there are finer/important details all the way to the end!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I recall the washers in @JWB video, I thought it was thickness, what do I know though, I doubt I will have my fingers in a 500 diff anytime soon, Unless Trigger really dumps his off on me.

Wish Painesville was closer, I would. Got mine today and read through the instructions. Looks like I'll be doing it myself at some point before the snow flies.

C

Chooglin

All done and back together. There is definitely some racheting going on in 4WD when making turns :)

20180705 214452 20180705 214512

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
:( I hate it when important things get in the way of the really important things..:D
I have Friday off, will try to get the oil pan out of my AWD chevy express PITA van then I have to work the weekend and Monday & Tuesday then have 5 days off and going up to the shack and installing the locker and winch in E.R.V. and 8 more LED lights in the garage.
The test drive should be southeast corner of bull gap trails with the little hills and tight twisty, roller coaster trails.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Just got the heat treated unit today. Might put in this wknd, but I'm in no hurry. If nothing else, I'm going to change the gear lube back to the heavier viscosity, if there's no metal debris in the stuff I drain out. I have a bit over a 100 miles on the non heat treated prototype so far, so if the gear lube continues to be clean, I'm not gonna rush swapping in the new one. @Chooglin , did you use heavier gear lube?

C

Chooglin

Just got the heat treated unit today. Might put in this wknd, but I'm in no hurry. If nothing else, I'm going to change the gear lube back to the heavier viscosity, if there's no metal debris in the stuff I drain out. I have a bit over a 100 miles on the non heat treated prototype so far, so if the gear lube continues to be clean, I'm not gonna rush swapping in the new one. @Chooglin , did you use heavier gear lube?
I used 75w-140 synthetic GL-5

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chooglin

Does anybody have the 4wd cable adjustment instructions? I just tightened the nut up until I had a lititle play/slack in the cable while the lever was in 2wd !

Mine is working fine , just want to make sure I don't have it to tight.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
06C68C41 F30B 47E2 B443 A6E66E247545
Starting the install, knee pads ready. Question, which would be better... lightly apply synthetic grease to locker..or apply Engine Assembly Lube everywhere during assembly?

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 80310 Starting the install, knee pads ready. Question, which would be better... lightly apply synthetic grease to locker..or apply Engine Assembly Lube everywhere?
I don't recall what the instructions suggest, but I would stick with your gear oil. Anything else you use will change the viscosity of the gear oil once installed.

advertisement
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Does anybody have the 4wd cable adjustment instructions? I just tightened the nut up until I had a lititle play/slack in the cable while the lever was in 2wd !

I measured the threads that were below the nut (5/16") before disassembly and set it to the same at reassembly. Works fine.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

About 1/8-3/16" of thread protruding from the adjuster nut. That may vary a little bit between machines, and cable wear, but it doesn't appear to be too fussy.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I don't recall what the instructions suggest, but I would stick with your gear oil. Anything else you use will change the viscosity of the gear oil once installed.
It's another one that's not too fussy. I definitely noticed 'friendlier' operation with the heavier gear lube.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 80310 Starting the install, knee pads ready. Question, which would be better... lightly apply synthetic grease to locker..or apply Engine Assembly Lube everywhere during assembly?
The only thing I would mention here, is that Torqmasters made a point of " a very light coat of grease" on the locker components prior to assembly. I didn't do that:oops:, but I've had no issues. Once you fill the diff, it's submerged in gear lube anyways....

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I just drove around the yard... with my 30" tractor tires I had to order power steering. That kinda sucks, now I have to give up more money and my much needed underhood storage.

EDIT to add, I am certain it will be worth it.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
3F741154 71C6 4EA1 8EF1 D985C3D6B4E4
The only thing I would mention here, is that Torqmasters made a point of " a very light coat of grease" on the locker components prior to assembly. I didn't do that:oops:, but I've had no issues. Once you fill the diff, it's submerged in gear lube anyways....

Just unbolted brake line support bolts, Axles came out OK per instructions and zip tied axles around a arms to hold up while working on locker. Steering ball joints untouched.

Locker in, diff. case back together. Had to grind down my larger pin punch for that little retaining pin. Just pre-covered everything on locker with 75-140 gear lube to be used instead of grease,,, kinda messy but nothing dry on start up. Wife came in garage and said “What are you doing, you broke it!!”

Now the fun of putting the P500 back together again...Humpy Dumpty.. Rear drive shaft rubber boot a pita, keeping o-ring in place. Everyones posts here helped greatly doing the job. Honda SxS forum is the best.

ALL DONE! (And yes, found the 4wd cable spring on floor, had to take tire off and fix, uugh!). Like how the 4wd re-centers the power steering. Clicks not audible from cab with heavier oil. Updated Locker status poll to add INSTALLED !
P500 - Poll - Torque Master Locker Status tracking
625849A1 D51C 47A6 9773 3F7F32CC625E 3F741154 71C6 4EA1 8EF1 D985C3D6B4E4

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Locker in, case together. I just pre-covered everything on locker with 75-140 gear lube to be used, kinda messy but nothing dry on start up. Drive axle separated both ends on diff. removal, good opportunity to clean and grease both ends. Now the fun of putting the P500 back together again...Humpy Dumpty..

View attachment 80328
Putting it all back together , was the worst part for me.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Not trying to hijack thread, but another good use for the Jawhorse (Lowes). Christmas gift, So impressed, have 3 now,chop saw, etc, w/ attachment to hold a full sheet of plywood. Good like an extra set of helper hands. Folds up to wheel away.

4F1E4724 E733 4361 A842 73CB6088327C

Last edited:
Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
E14EEAE9 33E8 4DF4 925A 2F8198DDE5A6
yeepeee it’s here time to install it thank everyone involved for making this happen... special thanks to Cora from torq locker for taking interest in our little p 500’s glad to see it’s starting to get some attention.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!