Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Today's TIP

For those of you who want to wash down your differential after removal. Get you a couple of balloons and stick them in the holes where the axle shafts go , blow them up and tie them. This will seal them up pretty good.

Make sure you cover the vent hole and put the filler and drain plug in while washing.
View attachment 80225 View attachment 80226

Not perfect but pretty clean
View attachment 80227
Works great for painting things that you don't want paint to get in like the races in hubs, I use tapered rubber plugs though.

C

Chooglin

I just want to mention two very important steps in the install instructions that JWB created. First off , @JWB you did a excellent job with the install instructions (very thorough)

Very important

Page 8 steps C and D of instructions
you want to REUSE these thrust washers !!!!

Page 9 step F of instructions
You do NOT reuse the cone washers !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I just want to mention two very important steps in the install instructions that JWB created. First off , @JWB you did a excellent job with the install instructions (very thorough)

Very important

Page 8 steps C and D of instructions
you want to REUSE these thrust washers !!!!

Page 9 step F of instructions
You do NOT reuse the cone washers !!!!!
Yes, I did (thrust washers) and l didn’t (cone washers).

C

Chooglin

I will be installing my locker tonight and I will post pics of the cone washers and the thrust washers !

Cone washers are domed and thrust washers/shims are flat. There are two different diameter thrust washers !

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
These must be the cone washers not re used.??? Upper right of JWB video screen grab. Sorry for all the posting, just wanted to be sure as this will be the first differential I’ve worked on and don’t want to mess it up. Thanks.

130784AE 3128 499C 9FAB FB175FEB8070

Last edited:
advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Edit..torq masters just clarified their reply. JWB instructions spot on. His work to help us all shows his skills to be a good Instructor and procedure writer.

AC732E20 16CF 4C09 9E6F 70DDB1339897

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hope this clears it up.
Capture

Lets refer to the pieces as Honda does in their service manual.
You will reuse left ring gear shim, as well as right ring gear shim.
The cone washers that are removed from the spider gears in the differential are NOT reused.

Edit: Not using the left/right gear shims will reek havoc on your gear mesh between pinion and rings gears. I thought they were different thickness, but @Chooglin has corrected me and said they were different diameters.

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Hope this clears it up.
View attachment 80265
Lets refer to the pieces as Honda does in their service manual.
You will reuse left ring gear shim, as well as left ring gear shim.
The cone washers that are removed from the spider gears in the differential are NOT reused.

Edit: Not using the left/right gear shims will reek havoc on your gear mesh between pinion and rings gears. I thought they were different thickness, but @Chooglin has corrected me and said they were different diameters.
@Neohio edit your post , you have to left ring gear shims instead of a left and right !

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!