P500 Torq-Masters torq locker feedback

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Oh yea, I did take a pic with the locker installed! I’m tired!
Thank you Chooglin, JWB, Jayman and Cora for all you have done!!!!!
006C9035 F6C3 48EE A89C 51A896E6109E

C

Chooglin

OK, l pulled my P5 into my airconditioned shop (after a bath) at 8AM. Passed the spin test, so l completed my reassembly and backed out of my shop at 4PM. I am whipped and sore, so l only took a short test run. I have a small creek crossing across from the house that I could never make in low gear because it would raise the left front high in the air and I had to back down and get a running start in second and still spin to make the top. My wife would scream and hurt my ears! Today I just pulled up to the bottom (while still in the creek) left it in first, just eased on the throttle and about half way up, up comes the left front and I just kept going with out slipping a tire! I CRIED!!!!!
This is awesome to hear.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Here's the video the screen shots came from, but first a bit of background story..:)
This is a short video of our ride at Spearhead last wknd. The very first mud hole I drove into, I got us 'high centered' and all four wheels were just paddling water around... so smarty pants (Amy- aka 'the Princess') points the camera at me and says "John got us stuck". So I made her get it un-stuck, while I filmed Miss Smarty-Pants. She did fantastic- first time she ever did anything like that! I couldn't see her face, but I knew she was sweatin bullets doin her best to not screw up! She also did all the filming for the day, holding the camera in one hand, and hangin on for dear life with the other, and never dropped the camera, and got good pictures all day.
We had a blast!
John got us stuck!.mp4

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@jay_man81 Jason you did a excellent job with this video. In my opinion, you covered everthing. The only big question now is , how does it truly feel without PS. As some of you without PS install the locker , I am sure we will all have the answer to that question.

Also would like to thank you for mentioning me and @JWB in the video , along with the others that had a big part in this all coming to reality............again , you really did a great job with this video !
You nailed it Choog! My thanks all round!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
OK, l pulled my P5 into my airconditioned shop (after a bath) at 8AM. Passed the spin test, so l completed my reassembly and backed out of my shop at 4PM. I am whipped and sore, so l only took a short test run. I have a small creek crossing across from the house that I could never make in low gear because it would raise the left front high in the air and I had to back down and get a running start in second and still spin to make the top. My wife would scream and hurt my ears! Today I just pulled up to the bottom (while still in the creek) left it in first, just eased on the throttle and about half way up, up comes the left front and I just kept going with out slipping a tire! I CRIED!!!!!
I know what you mean Brother!! sniff....:D LMAO!!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I gotta say, I haven't had this much fun in years! In hindsight, I'm glad Honda put crappy suspension on the P500, cuz otherwise, I might never have found this forum, and I'm glad Honda doesn't offer a locker, cuz now I've got the auto-locker, that I think is way better, and, I would never have done the videos, and would have missed all the camaraderie and fun that sharing the experience with a bunch of really cool people has brought to my life! Y'all ROCK!!!

C

Chooglin

Just a NOTE for those that will be doing this. The bolts holes that I am pointing at in the pics , these 2 nuts are welded to the frame , you should only need to use a socket on the bolts. I used a cheater bar on the nuts and broke the welds. Not really a big deal , but just letting you all know !

20180703 204842 20180703 204903

advertisement
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Just a NOTE for those that will be doing this. The bolts holes that I am pointing at in the pics , these 2 nuts are welded to the frame , you should only need to use a socket on the bolts. I used a cheater bar on the nuts and broke the welds. Not really a big deal , but just letting you all know !

View attachment 80165 View attachment 80166
Sorry! I should have mentioned that! Be careful going back in also, easy to crossthread, but you shouldn't have a problem with that. ;-) Also, when you go to set the dif. back in place, I stuffed a shop towel in the end of the shaft so I could keep any crud I missed out of the splines. A little awkward, but had to hold the shaft up until it was in far enough so I could slide the top mounting bolt thru the dif. Then reached down through the seat hole, removed the towel,greased the splines, then gasped the end of the shaft and pushed toward the front. The dif pivots just enough on the top mounting bolt to clear the engine shaft and slid together nicely. No need to disturb the wife. ;-)

Last edited:
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
View attachment 80138 View attachment 80122I was this far when my locker arrived at 10AM.
OK so yeah my wife is going to freak out when she sees me tear into our P5 like that but she'll most likely be right there beside me helping all she can.(so cool)

I have a very strong urge to polish that diff case on ours to a mirror shine someday and I'm actually surprised Remington hasn't done it to the BumbleBee yet.

C

Chooglin

Here's the video the screen shots came from, but first a bit of background story..:)
This is a short video of our ride at Spearhead last wknd. The very first mud hole I drove into, I got us 'high centered' and all four wheels were just paddling water around... so smarty pants (Amy- aka 'the Princess') points the camera at me and says "John got us stuck". So I made her get it un-stuck, while I filmed Miss Smarty-Pants. She did fantastic- first time she ever did anything like that! I couldn't see her face, but I knew she was sweatin bullets doin her best to not screw up! She also did all the filming for the day, holding the camera in one hand, and hangin on for dear life with the other, and never dropped the camera, and got good pictures all day.
We had a blast!
John got us stuck!.mp4
Great video , looks like fun

Reactions: JWB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have that same problem often, my last trip was in Venezuela and I was there for 3 months.

So that would be like old school mail ordering something with like a paper check and all? Lol.

I traveled for work pretty much every week for ten years. I was home pretty much every weekend though so I can’t imagine what months away would be. I’m on a long term engagement working from home these days and going on site one week a month. Suddenly I’m starting to see all the things I’ve missed being gone all the time. Don’t think I will ever go back to that much travel again.

C

Chooglin

Today's TIP

For those of you who want to wash down your differential after removal. Get you a couple of balloons and stick them in the holes where the axle shafts go , blow them up and tie them. This will seal them up pretty good.

Make sure you cover the vent hole and put the filler and drain plug in while washing.
20180704 170342 20180704 170349

Not perfect but pretty clean
20180704 172244

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
Today's TIP

For those of you who want to wash down your differential after removal. Get you a couple of balloons and stick them in the holes where the axle shafts go , blow them up and tie them. This will seal them up pretty good.

Make sure you cover the vent hole and put the filler and drain plug in while washing.
View attachment 80225 View attachment 80226

Not perfect but pretty clean
View attachment 80227

wow simple yet genius :) great idea Choog!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!