P500 Torq-Masters torq locker feedback

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
HEY ALL! For anyone who hasn't installed the locker yet, check the chamfer on the inside of the axle gear splines for a sharp edge or burr. @Yota87 ripped a boot, and is having a rough time getting the axle out of the diff. I've attached pictures to show the area I'm talking about so y'all can smooth this area out with a dremel tool or similar to eliminate possible issues later. Don't know if they all have this, but certainly worth checking.
20180709 173554 010
20180709 173554 010

20180709 173554 005

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
If you look close you can see the tiny ridge at the top of the chamfer. You may have to copy the picture and zoom in to see it clearly. I can feel it plainly with my finger-nail, as that little ridge is actually quite sharp. Just smoothing that out a bit will (I.M.O.) eliminate the problem. It doesn't affect the operation of the unit in any way, just makes it a P.I.A. to get the axle out later.
I'll do it ASAP and post pictures after.

Last edited:
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
HEY ALL! For anyone who hasn't installed the locker yet, check the chamfer on the inside of the axle gear splines for a sharp edge or burr. @Yota87 ripped a boot, and is having a rough time getting the axle out of the diff. I've attached pictures to show the area I'm talking about so y'all can smooth this area out with a dremel tool or similar to eliminate possible issues later. Don't know if they all have this, but certainly worth checking.View attachment 80662 View attachment 80662

View attachment 80661
That might be why my short right axle would not go in all the way? While the machine was still hanging on the hook, I put my floor jack under the lower right ball joint and jacked until it was lifting the whole front end. The axle still was not in all the way, but when I released the floor jack, the axle popped in the rest of the way. Maybe it would be a good idea to slide each piece onto the axle splines before reassembling?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yup, I just thinking the same thing... If something needs to be cleaned up, that would certainly be the best way to find out!
Yes and no. It ran for about 10 hrs.and then quit again. Checking fuel system at this point. :mad::(
Make sure the tank vent is clear! I've seen a fuel pump partially collapse a fuel tank, so the gauge was still reading over 1/4 full, and the machine kept running out of gas. The vent was plugged! Cleared the vent tube, balled up a rag, shoved it into the fill hole with my air nozzle, gave it a shot of air, and POOMP! popped the dent out of the plastic tank. Good as used!:)

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I'll be installing mine friday if all go's as planned and I'll be looking it over closely and test fitting for a smooth fit. THANKS

Reactions: Dp5hunter
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Started my teardown today. Brakes were packed with Idaho mud (CP) butpads still look like 80+%. Oil came out like new with 1400 miles on it - full synthetic 75-140 Valvoline.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
That might be why my short right axle would not go in all the way? While the machine was still hanging on the hook, I put my floor jack under the lower right ball joint and jacked until it was lifting the whole front end. The axle still was not in all the way, but when I released the floor jack, the axle popped in the rest of the way. Maybe it would be a good idea to slide each piece onto the axle splines before reassembling?
Same here, extra effort to get it fully in. Maybe send feedback to Cora??

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'll be installing mine friday if all go's as planned and I'll be looking it over closely and test fitting for a smooth fit. THANKS
Make sure the retaining rings on the axle are not sloppy/loose. You can tighten them up by squeezing them down. If they are loose, they can hang down below the chamfer, and make it even worse to remove later.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Started my teardown today. Brakes were packed with Idaho mud (CP) butpads still look like 80+%. Oil came out like new with 1400 miles on it - full synthetic 75-140 Valvoline.
Make sure the retaining rings on axle end aren't sloppy. Squeeze em down so they're tight in the groove. Test fit the axle gears on the axles and make sure they'll come back out- might have to exaggerate the chamfer a bit...

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Same here, extra effort to get it fully in. Maybe send feedback to Cora??
Hangup was probably due to retaining ring on inner end of axle stretched a bit and not jumping in the chamfer quite as it should. Mine just did. Slightly compress/bend the ring a little more with pliers and it should go in nicely just like @JWB said.

WB

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Hangup was probably due to retaining ring on inner end of axle stretched a bit and not jumping in the chamfer quite as it should. Mine just did. Slightly compress/bend the ring a little more with pliers and it should go in nicely just like @JWB said.

WB
Awesome!! Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Locker installed. FYI, Torq-Mater sent an update to the installation procedure about the circlip.

Hi Folks!

We hope you are enjoying your new TORQ Locker! We will be providing technical support on the Honda SXS Forum as a Silver Level supporting partner, or you can always reach me directly via email (also the quickest way to reach us) [email protected]

This email is an official notice of an install manual update. Will update the installation manuals for all new orders to reflect the following:

s.) Axle Re-installation - Remove the circlip from the differential side of the axle shaft assembly. Then tighten the circlip using pliers, reducing the diameter of the circlip. Reinstall circlip onto the axle shaft ensuring that the circlip is tight in the circlip recess in the axle shaft.

Reasoning behind the update:
One of our customers had difficulty removing his axle shaft after installing the TORQ Locker. After our review it was determined that his axle circlips were too loose, making the shaft very difficult to remove. Once his circlips were tightened he could install and remove the axle shaft as intended.

Please let me know if you have any questions, we are here to help!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!