P500 Torq-Masters torq locker feedback

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Locker installed. FYI, Torq-Mater sent an update to the installation procedure about the circlip.

Hi Folks!

We hope you are enjoying your new TORQ Locker! We will be providing technical support on the Honda SXS Forum as a Silver Level supporting partner, or you can always reach me directly via email (also the quickest way to reach us) [email protected]

This email is an official notice of an install manual update. Will update the installation manuals for all new orders to reflect the following:

s.) Axle Re-installation - Remove the circlip from the differential side of the axle shaft assembly. Then tighten the circlip using pliers, reducing the diameter of the circlip. Reinstall circlip onto the axle shaft ensuring that the circlip is tight in the circlip recess in the axle shaft.

Reasoning behind the update:
One of our customers had difficulty removing his axle shaft after installing the TORQ Locker. After our review it was determined that his axle circlips were too loose, making the shaft very difficult to remove. Once his circlips were tightened he could install and remove the axle shaft as intended.

Please let me know if you have any questions, we are here to help!
Yup, got the same up date.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
My Torq Locker install is done and all went according to plan. 75-140 Royal Purple oil went in the diff. I "adjusted" the cir-clip before the update came in my email due to seeing the forum post on"axle stubborn removal" and tested it on original side gears before installing the axles. Then I serviced the engine in "Sneaker" and the rest of the lube points while I was at it. Tested all machine functions to make sure everything was copacetic.

WB

Last edited:
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
My Torq Locker install is done and all went according to plan. 5-140 Royal Purple oil went in the diff. I "adjusted" the cir-clip before the update came in my email due to seeing the forum post on"axle stubborn removal" and tested it on original side gears before installing the axles. Then I serviced the engine in "Sneaker" and the rest of the lube points while I was at it. Tested all machine functions to make sure everything was copacetic.

WB
The Torq Locker install doesn't look to difficult, and it became less difficult after I stopped by the local Honda dealership today and they told me they would install the Torq Locker, but it would be a 7 hour job at their shop rate of $85.00 per hour for a measly $595.00. Jman81 and jwb estimates it's a 4 hour job. I think I'll tackle the job myself, even if it takes me two days!!!! Can't wait to get on the list and get it coming.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
The Torq Locker install doesn't look to difficult, and it became less difficult after I stopped by the local Honda dealership today and they told me they would install the Torq Locker, but it would be a 7 hour job at their shop rate of $85.00 per hour for a measly $595.00. Jman81 and jwb estimates it's a 4 hour job. I think I'll tackle the job myself, even if it takes me two days!!!! Can't wait to get on the list and get it coming.
WOW a 7 hour job at $85 bucks an hour well I guess they have to make money where they can.

My plan is to install mine Friday morning before the heat of the day(92F) rolls in then go for a nice long ride early Saturday morning before anyone else hits the trails.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
When I first wrote the install manual, I had put in 4-5 hrs. It was edited to say 'about 4 hrs' The 7hrs would be the flat rate for the job, and it sounds about right. If you consider these points. First you walk in the door and talk to the guy behind the counter. He's getting paid to stand there and talk to you. If you drop the machine, another guy has to move the machine into the waiting area. That guy gets paid to be there all day- even if he doesn't bill one minute of time. Then the machine gets moved into the service bay. The mechanic does the work, takes the repair order to another person that gets paid to be there all day whether they do anything or not. Then someone has to generate an invoice from the repair order, and contact you. Then you come back in, chat for 15 minutes, look over the machine with someone, and hopefully it's all good, and you pay, and leave. Did they clean the machine? They had to clean up after the job and dispose of the oil, put tools away etc. Do you think that didn't eat up 2.5 hrs.? All automotive shops - all is a strong word- so let's say 98% of automotive shops generally use a 'flat rate' manual to quote jobs and pay the mechanics, and I assume that power-sports shops do the same thing. There's no such (useable) manual for the marine industry. The flat rate is generally the actual time, plus 30-40%. This isn't always the case, but not unusual. This allows shops to post an artificially low shop rate so people don't have a conniption over the posted rate, and still charge enough to stay in business. Using your example, the posted rate is $85/hr. The actual rate is $148.50 / hr. This is the reality of what it costs to keep the lights on and pay everyone in the shop a decent income, keeping in mind that if the shop also sells the machines, I can promise you that the sales side has to subsidize repair side. In a stand alone repair shop, that rate still wouldn't be high enough to pay everyone a decent living.
I would like a few of you to time the job. Time starts when you walk out to the machine with the intention of doing the install. So if you walk out to the machine at 8am. the time doesn't stop until after a brief 10 minute test ride, all the tools are put away, and the shop is all cleaned up, and oil disposed. That's the real install time.:)

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
When I first wrote the install manual, I had put in 4-5 hrs. It was edited to say 'about 4 hrs' The 7hrs would be the flat rate for the job, and it sounds about right. If you consider these points. First you walk in the door and talk to the guy behind the counter. He's getting paid to stand there and talk to you. If you drop the machine, another guy has to move the machine into the waiting area. That guy gets paid to be there all day- even if he doesn't bill one minute of time. Then the machine gets moved into the service bay. The mechanic does the work, takes the repair order to another person that gets paid to be there all day whether they do anything or not. Then someone has to generate an invoice from the repair order, and contact you. Then you come back in, chat for 15 minutes, look over the machine with someone, and hopefully it's all good, and you pay, and leave. Did they clean the machine? They had to clean up after the job and dispose of the oil, put tools away etc. Do you think that didn't eat up 2.5 hrs.? All automotive shops - all is a strong word- so let's say 98% of automotive shops generally use a 'flat rate' manual to quote jobs and pay the mechanics, and I assume that power-sports shops do the same thing. There's no such (useable) manual for the marine industry. The flat rate is generally the actual time, plus 30-40%. This isn't always the case, but not unusual. This allows shops to post an artificially low shop rate so people don't have a conniption over the posted rate, and still charge enough to stay in business. Using your example, the posted rate is $85/hr. The actual rate is $148.50 / hr. This is the reality of what it costs to keep the lights on and pay everyone in the shop a decent income, keeping in mind that if the shop also sells the machines, I can promise you that the sales side has to subsidize repair side. In a stand alone repair shop, that rate still wouldn't be high enough to pay everyone a decent living.
I would like a few of you to time the job. Time starts when you walk out to the machine with the intention of doing the install. So if you walk out to the machine at 8am. the time doesn't stop until after a brief 10 minute test ride, all the tools are put away, and the shop is all cleaned up, and oil disposed. That's the real install time.:)
Good write-up @JWB I should have timed my install job. Minus the beer runs to the fridge

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
So maybe I'll hold off power washing mine until Friday morning, get up have my coffee and donuts then take a look at the days work load and the clock...hmmm....lets see Mr. Collins wants a torq locker installed in his 2017 P500....came in dirty-needs cleaning and oh hehe LOL it says here that he wants his front propeller shaft painted because its a little rusty (what a tool - lol).

C

Chooglin

Anybody who thinks they can do the tear down and install in 4-5 hours is full of poop. You will have 2 hours just looking for the 14 mm wrench that you left in the refrigerator when you went to go fetch a beer and another 2 hours trying to get the retaining pin out of the cross pin........lmao :)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody who thinks they can do the tear down and install in 4-5 hours is full of poop. You will have 2 hours just looking for tools and another 2 hours trying to get the retaining pin out of the cross pin........lmao :)

Hey have you been snooping around my garage windows?

My wife hates my organization system of "where did I use that last".

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Anybody who thinks they can do the tear down and install in 4-5 hours is full of poop. You will have 2 hours just looking for tools and another 2 hours trying to get the retaining pin out of the cross pin........lmao :)
LFAO because it took me 10 months just to change out the valve stem seals and an o-ring on the oil pickup tube in my AWD van with a 5.3l.Well I couldn't get it into my heated garage last winter and I have other vehicles to drive so it wasn't a big deal but as I lay under it recently I kept thinking "should have just taken it in" LOL.

Not getting dirty, not wasting time, not messing it up worse is a few more things you pay for at a shop as well as having it done in a timely manner.

Oh I always feel people have a right to earn a living, just do the work correctly and get paid a fair amount and all is good.

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Anybody who thinks they can do the tear down and install in 4-5 hours is full of poop. You will have 2 hours just looking for the 14 mm wrench that you left in the refrigerator when you went to go fetch a beer and another 2 hours trying to get the retaining pin out of the cross pin........lmao :)
I didn't know I was on Hidden Camera!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
When I first wrote the install manual, I had put in 4-5 hrs. It was edited to say 'about 4 hrs' The 7hrs would be the flat rate for the job, and it sounds about..............:)
Awesome post @JWB !!!!

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks! I totally wasn't expecting the responses! You guys crack me up! Sittin here LMAO:D
I worked in a couple auto dealerships as a tech when I got out of the Air Force......I get it!

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Good explanation, I get it. But, still think I'll do it myself though, but thanks for clearing things up..

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
This is kinda.. well totally off topic, but I'll try to make it look like it's on topic...- While I was testing my Torq-Locker(;)) I wiped out my front brake pads, I guess doing all the mud riding- something I almost never did pre-locker. I know I saw a thread about brake pads for differing conditions, but I can't find it now. Do any of you have a recommendation here- there's all different types of materials for brake pads, and I don't think a set should wear out in about 200 miles of riding, particularly when you rarely have to use them on the P500 with the engine braking being so good, vs a cvt machine that has nothing but brakes...

C

Chooglin

This is kinda.. well totally off topic, but I'll try to make it look like it's on topic...- While I was testing my Torq-Locker(;)) I wiped out my front brake pads, I guess doing all the mud riding- something I almost never did pre-locker. I know I saw a thread about brake pads for differing conditions, but I can't find it now. Do any of you have a recommendation here- there's all different types of materials for brake pads, and I don't think a set should wear out in about 200 miles of riding, particularly when you rarely have to use them on the P500 with the engine braking being so good, vs a cvt machine that has nothing but brakes...
This is where I bought mine and they are holding up much better than the stock pads
Search Results – D2Moto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!