Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I first wrote the install manual, I had put in 4-5 hrs. It was edited to say 'about 4 hrs' The 7hrs would be the flat rate for the job, and it sounds about right. If you consider these points. First you walk in the door and talk to the guy behind the counter. He's getting paid to stand there and talk to you. If you drop the machine, another guy has to move the machine into the waiting area. That guy gets paid to be there all day- even if he doesn't bill one minute of time. Then the machine gets moved into the service bay. The mechanic does the work, takes the repair order to another person that gets paid to be there all day whether they do anything or not. Then someone has to generate an invoice from the repair order, and contact you. Then you come back in, chat for 15 minutes, look over the machine with someone, and hopefully it's all good, and you pay, and leave. Did they clean the machine? They had to clean up after the job and dispose of the oil, put tools away etc. Do you think that didn't eat up 2.5 hrs.? All automotive shops - all is a strong word- so let's say 98% of automotive shops generally use a 'flat rate' manual to quote jobs and pay the mechanics, and I assume that power-sports shops do the same thing. There's no such (useable) manual for the marine industry. The flat rate is generally the actual time, plus 30-40%. This isn't always the case, but not unusual. This allows shops to post an artificially low shop rate so people don't have a conniption over the posted rate, and still charge enough to stay in business. Using your example, the posted rate is $85/hr. The actual rate is $148.50 / hr. This is the reality of what it costs to keep the lights on and pay everyone in the shop a decent income, keeping in mind that if the shop also sells the machines, I can promise you that the sales side has to subsidize repair side. In a stand alone repair shop, that rate still wouldn't be high enough to pay everyone a decent living.
I would like a few of you to time the job. Time starts when you walk out to the machine with the intention of doing the install. So if you walk out to the machine at 8am. the time doesn't stop until after a brief 10 minute test ride, all the tools are put away, and the shop is all cleaned up, and oil disposed. That's the real install time.:)
I have and will continue to have to beat into our plumbing tec's heads, if your tools/truck were clean/organized when you arrived at the job, it's not shop time to reorganize trucks/clean tools! I tell every new employe they will get paid once for setting there truck up, every other hour goes to job time, unless it's training. Pretty simple right, wrong?

Reactions: JWB
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Love the locker, tried pulling a huge rock with E.R.V. on sunday before we headed back down state, it did move the rock a bit but mostly just dug 4 holes :D I didn't go ape on it, wasn't looking to find the weak link if there is one.
When I go back up I'll drag the rock on a piece of plate steel which I think the P5 will be able to do with ease.I might try dragging the rock with my KingQuad 400 but it is so light compared to E.R.V. I doubt it would budge it.
I need to get a picture of the rock and also need to adjust the camera and kill a few thousand gnats so they stop flying into my eyes.
I sometimes refer to our little shack in the woods as "Camp-SwataLotaBugs"

Torq-Masters

Torq-Masters

Vendor
Jul 11, 2018
Rochester NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great read guys!

We have another email list going for our next production run. If you would like to be added to the list, please shoot me an email 'TORQ Locker Honda wait list' or similar. [email protected]

Looking like 3 weeks out, depending on our heat treat time. Heat treat is done by a vendor of ours, so we are subject to their schedule. Sometimes it's 3 days, sometimes it's 2 weeks.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I put the P5/Torq Locker to the test this weekend, it performed flawlessly. This trail is normally about has about 2 more feet of water. I got stuck on a root on the first try, a different line on the 2nd and it walked right through, both front tires were locked in both forward & reverse. Thanks @aprils_fool for pulling me back for a 2nd try.

Thanks @Torq-Masters for a great procuct.

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Great read guys!

We have another email list going for our next production run. If you would like to be added to the list, please shoot me an email 'TORQ Locker Honda wait list' or similar. [email protected]

Looking like 3 weeks out, depending on our heat treat time. Heat treat is done by a vendor of ours, so we are subject to their schedule. Sometimes it's 3 days, sometimes it's 2 weeks.
Thanks for the update, good timing, I was going to pose the question on the forum today if anyone had any info on when the next batch would be ready for sale. Thanks again.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Being that we are nearing the release of the locker ,I thought it would be good to start a discussion thread for it. This is where we can all give our thoughts , opinions , post pics and videos of the locker or anything locker related!
View attachment 82888 ATTACH]

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180804-064952.png
    Screenshot_20180804-064952.png
    553.5 KB · Views: 140
RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
So I will be getting around to installing the locker this weekend. There has been a lot of discussion but for the end result, does the BUR need to be removed or was the issues primarily re-tightening the circlip to a perfect amount?

Cavediver

Cavediver

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2016
Seminole FL
Ownership

1. 500
I so badly want to install the larger cup holders, just concerned with weakling the dash and having it crack later. There seems to be a lot discrepancy in what is removed and how to make a proper hole. Thoughts?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Love the locker, tried pulling a huge rock with E.R.V. on sunday before we headed back down state, it did move the rock a bit but mostly just dug 4 holes :D I didn't go ape on it, wasn't looking to find the weak link if there is one.
When I go back up I'll drag the rock on a piece of plate steel which I think the P5 will be able to do with ease.I might try dragging the rock with my KingQuad 400 but it is so light compared to E.R.V. I doubt it would budge it.
I need to get a picture of the rock and also need to adjust the camera and kill a few thousand gnats so they stop flying into my eyes.
I sometimes refer to our little shack in the woods as "Camp-SwataLotaBugs"
When we were younger we stayed at a primitive over flow camp site, that we named Camp Itchy Owie

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Since my TORQ locker has been installed I've only been able to test it out a little- riding the little woods behind my house and on a dice run in the Southern Tier (NY). It's crawled over downed trees with ease in the woods. On the dice run, which featured a lot of hills with some rocky sections, the trails were well established and firm so there wasn't a chance to really test it.

The steering effort was noticeably stiffer when in 4wd, but not too bad. The turning radius is also larger and will take an adjustment in habits- I think with this I'll need to be more selective as to when I'm using AWD.

I can't wait to get it out to some challenging trails to really put it to the test. I think this will end up ranking right next to my full skid plate from SSS as the purchase that adds the most capability to this tough little machine.

Last edited:
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Since my TORQ locker has been installed I've only been able to test it out a little- riding the little woods behind my house and on a dice run in the Southern Tier (NY). It's crawled over downed trees with ease in the woods. On the dice run, which featured a lot of hills with some rocky sections, the trails were well established and firm so there wasn't a chance to really test it.

The steering effort was noticeably stiffer when in 4wd, but not too bad. The turning radius is also larger and will take an adjustment in habits- I think with this I'll need to be more selective as to when I'm using AWD.

I can't wait to get it out to some challenging trails to really put it to the test. I think this will end up ranking right next to my full skid plate from SSS as the purchase that adds the most capability to this tough little machine.
Is the turning radius only affected in 4wd?

Reactions: Eltobgi
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Edited. See video at 13:55, looks like locker added 2” inches in 2wd, (nominal), 2’4” in 4wd. As expected in full lock mode under power. Regardless, pleased with the locker as I did not add it to do circles. Got off a tree the other day where I would have had to winch without it. Thanks to @jay_man81 , Appalacian Mountain Riders you tube video.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!