P500 Torque wrenches needed?

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I was going to go buy a 1/4 inch torque wrench for oil changes and differential changes and such. The manual states torque specs. Opinions on how many of you use them or even think that they are needed? Also are you supposed to replace the crush washers every time or can they

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I was going to go buy a 1/4 inch torque wrench for oil changes and differential changes and such. The manual states torque specs. Opinions on how many of you use them or even think that they are needed? Also are you supposed to replace the crush washers every time or can they be reused?

Reactions: rtn001
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was going to go buy a 1/4 inch torque wrench for oil changes and differential changes and such. The manual states torque specs. Opinions on how many of you use them or even think that they are needed? Also are you supposed to replace the crush washers every time or can they
Think some members here have snapped the filter cover bolts by going by the spec. O rings do the sealing so no need to tighten them hard, its a small bolt, I use a 1/4 inch ratchet for the filter bolts so you have a better feel for how tight you have the bolts, when you drain the oil in the engine, find the two 12mm headed drain plugs, one is for the oil pan and the other drains the rest. If you find a 14 mm headed drain plug, that's the sub transmission drain and has nothing to do with draining the engine oil, the only time you will use a 14 mm socket is to change the sub transmission oil. I use new crush washers at every oil change, I've been a pinch though and re used the washers. And watch it closely.. If this is your first oil change, both filters have little springs between the cover and filters to hold tension keeping the filters seated. First tool I grab out of my tool box is my extendable magnet for retrieving those little Besturds. Remember you only need 10 & 12 mm sockets for engine oil change. 14 mm NO!!!!!!!!!! WRONG HOLE!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Think some members here have snapped the filter cover bolts by going by the spec. O rings do the sealing so no need to tighten them hard, its a small bolt, I use a 1/4 inch ratchet for the filter bolts so you have a better feel for how tight you have the bolts, when you drain the oil in the engine, find the two 12mm headed drain plugs, one is for the oil pan and the other drains the rest. If you find a 14 mm headed drain plug, that's the sub transmission drain and has nothing to do with draining the engine oil, the only time you will use a 14 mm socket is to change the sub transmission oil. I use new crush washers at every oil change, I've been a pinch though and re used the washers. And watch it closely.. If this is your first oil change, both filters have little springs between the cover and filters to hold tension keeping the filters seated. First tool I grab out of my tool box is my extendable magnet for retrieving those little Besturds. Remember you only need 10 & 12 mm sockets for engine oil change. 14 mm NO!!!!!!!!!! WRONG HOLE!!!!!!!!!!
Does the pioneer 500 have a sub transmission?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OW POOP ! I thought you had a P1, please disregard rambling above!

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
It would be a benefit to use a torque wrench, it would stop you from twisting the small screws off, or striping the oil drain plug. Just pay attention to the difference between inch/pounds and foot/pounds. 1/4" torque wrenches are usually set in inch/pounds.
On the P500, there are 3 screws on the oil filter cover, and one 14mm on the oil drain plug. Just one drain on our little buggys, not like the BIG 1000's that @Smitty335 rides. You know, some guys... have to make up for inadequacies with displacement... right Smitty??? :)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It would be a benefit to use a torque wrench, it would stop you from twisting the small screws off, or striping the oil drain plug. Just pay attention to the difference between inch/pounds and foot/pounds. 1/4" torque wrenches are usually set in inch/pounds.
Your probably right, think the P1 owners are the ones that have issues with the spec's on torque.

Reactions: rtn001
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On the P500, there are 3 screws on the oil filter cover, and one 14mm on the oil drain plug. Just one drain on our little buggys, not like the BIG 1000's that @Smitty335 rides. You know, some guys... have to make up for inadequacies with displacement... right Smitty??? :)
What ever happened to the spin on oil filters? My 17 Toyota has a canister system for the filter, that is plastic from the factory???????

Reactions: rtn001 and Biteme
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I was out in left field, thought you had a P1 for some reason? I don't know spit about a P5, other than it's fun to pick on the P5 guy's Sorry!
Yeah well I would have got a 1000 however here in Montana there are quite a bit of 50 inch trails which gives me more access to more country. To each his own I guess.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Right! HA! But you still can't keep up with me! On the trail! HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah well I would have got a 1000 however here in Montana there are quite a bit of 50 inch trails which gives me more access to more country. To each his own I guess.
If I could afford it, I would have a P5, a TX, and keep our P1-5, they all have unique qualities on what they can do.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
If I could afford it, I would have a P5, a TX, and keep our P1-5, they all have unique qualities on what they can do.
Yes, it would be cool to have one of each. When I was looking I knew I would get more use out of a 50 inch machiene. So.......3 choices polaris rzr, can am maverick trail or honda pione 500. I hope I chose the right brand.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes, it would be cool to have one of each. When I was looking I knew I would get more use out of a 50 inch machiene. So.......3 choices polaris rzr, can am maverick trail or honda pione 500. I hope I chose the right brand.
Think you did, you just don't see many maintenance questions here on the P5's

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!