P500 Torque wrenches needed?

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
No worries..... so you think use 1/4 inch rachet sparingly?

That is what I do. I just use feel for the Oil Filter cap and make sure it's tightened evenly. There is only 1 drain plug for the oil on the P500s. I don't buy a new crush washer every time and have had no issues with leaks at all. I have 1300 miles on my 2018 P5 and have done the oil changes/maintenance myself since day 1. However they (crush washers) are cheap to purchase each time. In my opinion it's kind of an owners preference type of thing. I can only hope that someday down the road my choice to not replace it every time doesn't bite me in the kiester and cause me some trouble. I do check it regularly though. All the best to you sir!

Reactions: Biteme
R

radonda

Jan 22, 2018
Meadview,AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Think some members here have snapped the filter cover bolts by going by the spec. O rings do the sealing so no need to tighten them hard, its a small bolt, I use a 1/4 inch ratchet for the filter bolts so you have a better feel for how tight you have the bolts, when you drain the oil in the engine, find the two 12mm headed drain plugs, one is for the oil pan and the other drains the rest. If you find a 14 mm headed drain plug, that's the sub transmission drain and has nothing to do with draining the engine oil, the only time you will use a 14 mm socket is to change the sub transmission oil. I use new crush washers at every oil change, I've been a pinch though and re used the washers. And watch it closely.. If this is your first oil change, both filters have little springs between the cover and filters to hold tension keeping the filters seated. First tool I grab out of my tool box is my extendable magnet for retrieving those little Besturds. Remember you only need 10 & 12 mm sockets for engine oil change. 14 mm NO!!!!!!!!!! WRONG HOLE!!!!!!!!!!
All good advise Smitty,any advise on how not to make a mess?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All good advise Smitty,any advise on how not to make a mess?
I sure don't, what happened to the spin on filter? My 17 Toyota doesn't have a spin on?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sure don't, what happened to the spin on filter? My 17 Toyota doesn't have a spin on?
Willing to bet it is a cartridge style. The Rav4, Sienna, Camry, Corrolla & Tacoma in our family all are cartridge. Some are metal housings, but the newer ones are plastic.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm sure it's been stated in the thread already, but it bears repeating: DO NOT use the torque spec Honda gives you for the tiny M6 screws on the oil filter cover. You will strip them, and/or break the bolt. It's not the end of the world if you do, but it can shut you down for a while till you can get a heli coil. I have put it more M6 heli coils than I care to remember.

Just use a small 1/4" ratchet and socket and tighten the bolts. Use good judgement and don't over tighten. Better to be a little loose and check for leaks after running it a while, then you can tighten as needed.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Willing to bet it is a cartridge style. The Rav4, Sienna, Camry, Corrolla & Tacoma in our family all are cartridge. Some are metal housings, but the newer ones are plastic.
Mine was plastic, first oil change out side of the dealer ship was broken trying to remove it, wasn't there first Rodeo they had metal replacements? Was talking to the mgr. at Lightning Lube, he was telling me that the Tundra was voted the worst oil change job, have to loosen up the front skid plate and it has different sized bolts?

Last edited:
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I don't know about other years but don't torq. the oil filter cover bolts to what it says on the owner's manual on a 2016. I learned that one there hard way.

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement
MB_Rider

MB_Rider

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2019
Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Mine was plastic, first oil change out side of the dealer ship was broken trying to remove it, wasn't there first Rodeo they had metal replacements? Was talking to the mgr. at Lightning Lube, he was telling me that the Tundra was voted the worst oil change job, have to loosen up the front skid plate and it has different sized bolts?
Those Toyota's require a special tool to remove the oil filter cover. You can buy them online. If you try to remove them with a conventional oil filter wrench it will break.

C

cisco1

Jul 13, 2016
ILL.
Easy does it Trigger.

Your Frizzin' torque wrench is no match for experience, nor needed.

Happy trails kiddies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!