P1000 Toy Hauler

C

CaseysDaddy

Jul 6, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anybody know of or have a toy hauler that will fit P1000-5 deluxe with factory roof and tires. With out having to do any mods (lower tire pressure, remove roof) and that is bumper pulled by a 1/2 ton.

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anybody know of or have a toy hauler that will fit P1000-5 deluxe with factory roof and tires. With out having to do any mods (lower tire pressure, remove roof) and that is bumper pulled by a 1/2 ton.
Enclosed or true toy hauler with living quarters

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been looking for one too. I've found that the tongue weight is too much for a half ton most of the time when you add in the cargo weight on the truck.

Reactions: BWAF
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

When you say 1/2 ton please be more specific, what is the power train, is it 4-door, long bed or short, 4-wheel drive, does it already have a FACTORY TOW PACKAGE?
It seriously makes a huge difference...more power, transmission, heavier frame, thicker brakes!
Yes if you have all of that it can be done.
It needs to be open haul...no separate garage (they are much heavier), no fiberglass siding, no more than 28' total length and that is really pushing it (smaller would be better). You will need to invest in a equalizer anti-sway hitch (IMPORTANT---NOT JUST EQUALIZER).

Now here's the deal, you'll have to look at the gross towing capacity of your truck and the gross weight of your trailer, if you have all of the above the truck will handle it with caution...but if you get in an accident, the cops will have it all weighed, if you're over name plate you are in for a s*** storm and the insurance may not cover you.

My friends & I have been down this road, I'm speaking real life experience here not internet educated.

There is another thread on here I'll have to find later about this, but to answer you question yes what you want is out there if the rear beds pivot down to the side and the model trailer has enough height.

Tell us what your truck options are please?

Good luck,

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been looking for one too. I've found that the tongue weight is too much for a half ton most of the time when you add in the cargo weight on the truck.

If you have a factory mounted receiver (which typically means larger radiator, transmission cooler and lower gearing) you can make it work with an equalizer hitch and/or air bags. Pretty simple to adjust for the weight difference if you know how, meaning you can reduce/add tongue weight. When you put the buggy in the back it reduces the tongue weight a lot in most cases.

The big hurdle is getting up hills or being able to stop it, and the way it handles going around curves.

You need a 4-door with a 350 (5.7l) or larger engine with a 3.73 (4.10 preferably).
A couple of my friends have the Toyota Crew Max cab and even though it's a lite 1/2 ton it gets right with the program as it has factory stock all of the options above.

Here is the other thread: https://hondasxs.com/threads/using-smaller-wheels-tires-for-transporting-in-toy-hauler.20448/

J

JTW

Factory mounted receiver does not mean it has a true “tow package” that would include... the larger radiator, trans cooler, lower geared and sometimes brake control box... just FYI.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Factory mounted receiver does not mean it has a true “tow package” that would include... the larger radiator, trans cooler, lower geared and sometimes brake control box... just FYI.

Yes that is correct, but if it's not there you can almost bet none of the other is.
Trying to make a light 1/2 ton a tow rig after the fact is almost impossible.

Reactions: JTW and Remington
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a factory mounted receiver (which typically means larger radiator, transmission cooler and lower gearing) you can make it work with an equalizer hitch and/or air bags. Pretty simple to adjust for the weight difference if you know how, meaning you can reduce/add tongue weight. When you put the buggy in the back it reduces the tongue weight a lot in most cases.

The big hurdle is getting up hills or being able to stop it, and the way it handles going around curves.

You need a 4-door with a 350 (5.7l) or larger engine with a 3.73 (4.10 preferably).
A couple of my friends have the Toyota Crew Max cab and even though it's a lite 1/2 ton it gets right with the program as it has factory stock all of the options above.

Here is the other thread: Using smaller wheels/tires for transporting in Toy Hauler
Right, but my thought is if you are having to add air bags & weight distribution hitches you dont have enough truck. Not saying it cant get it done, but a more capable tow rig (3/4 or 1 ton) makes for a more pleasant towing experience. An example of this is my buddy who bought a 39' TH to tow with his 2500hd duramax. Capable yes, but it needed air bags so he traded for a 3500 dual rear wheel. Much easier towing now.

Last edited:
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right, but my thought is if you are having to add air bags & weight distribution hitches you dont have enough truck. Not saying it cant get it done, but a more capable tow rig makes for a more pleasant towing experience. An example of this is my buddy who bought a 39' TH to tow with his 2500hd duramax. Capable yes, but it needed air bags so he traded for a 3500 dual rear wheel. Much easier towing now.

Air bags is a choice, the equalizer (or whatever brand) of hitch is necessary whatever the truck.
The thing with Toy Haulers is they are very different loaded vs unloaded.
You need to be able to adjust accordingly.
With that said they effect the tow vehicle either way.
Your lights shining/blinding on-coming traffic, tire wear, trailer bounce, trailer walking...I could go on for awhile.
There are some great tutorials out there on Youtube and etrailer.

Toy Haulers are heavy by design to carry all the extra weight and stress on the frame.
Then you add 100 gals of water, 30+ gals of fuel, 15 gals of propane, the SXS (1000+ lbs) and on & on.

I have a 2500 Mega Cab diesel, it will pull just about anything, I still need the hitch for it to be correct.
Sometimes I'm fully loaded, sometimes I'm very empty (no SXS or any of the above).
And in my case I need it not for load distribution but to keep it from swaying all over the road.

Now with that said the original question was "what will work with my 1/2 ton", so other trucks are not part of the equation at this point, but we still don't know what he has to work with yet :)

Last edited:
J

JTW

I pull my enclosed with a half ton that has bags and equalizer hitch because i don’t want a 3/4 ton for the 98% of its life I'm not pulling. I totally get the point... but with the right 1/2 ton it’s no big deal.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
All Toy Haulers weigh substantially more than a Travel Trailer, just thought I would throw that out there!

Reactions: Remington
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right tool for the job boys.

D8939360 DF04 4B86 9D0B 73BA0DA10126

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!