P1000 Toy Hauler

S

Sulli

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anybody know of or have a toy hauler that will fit P1000-5 deluxe with factory roof and tires. With out having to do any mods (lower tire pressure, remove roof) and that is bumper pulled by a 1/2 ton.
Cherokee Grey Wolf 25RRT, approximately 15' of cargo space, just over 5,000lbs. unloaded, 77.5" ceiling height. GVWR +/- 8,000 lbs. Definitely half ton towable with the right half ton truck.

I

ItsNotAJeep

Oct 28, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wanted the smallest trailer that we could get......the wife really wanted a front bedroom.....had to be bumper pull because I like to use the bed of the truck and we spend quiet a bit of time off-road reaching 'unique' campsites so articulation is important..... We ended up with a 2020 Grand Design Momentum 25G. Our P1K has the factory roof (with Rotopax and shovel on it), light bar thats at the roof level, and 28" tires. It JUST fits. We take out the curb-side couch so the SXS doesn't rub the fabric but it fits under the cabinets and doesn't seem to move enough to make any hard contact anywhere. Length is no problem at all. This is my first NEW trailer so I'm pretty careful with it right now but we've put on a few thousand miles now and are really happy with how tight it fits.

IMG 6023
IMG 6943
IMG 6968

S

Shannonhopper1

Feb 21, 2018
Bardstown ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
0AAAF2A6 C063 44A9 8CE0 D4C7D1A64385
89C5FC39 CA4B 48A2 BAF5 D6D600744A89
Does anybody know of or have a toy hauler that will fit P1000-5 deluxe with factory roof and tires. With out having to do any mods (lower tire pressure, remove roof) and that is bumper pulled by a 1/2 ton.
I had a 2019 work and play 34fbs . It fit my 1000-5 le or talon just fine. I know own a 2020 Wolfpack 365pack16 it will fit anything

M

MVH

Aug 29, 2018
MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one but I had to put air bags on the truck so it would sit right.
View attachment 177989
Toy hauler
Boondocking

Adrenaline 25QB works well for us. The way you distribute the weight is critical, equalizer hitch. Queen bed in master room, 1 queen happyjack 1 queen from bench seats

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
View attachment 177991 View attachment 177990
Adrenaline 25QB works well for us. The way you distribute the weight is critical, equalizer hitch. Queen bed in master room, 1 queen happyjack 1 queen from bench seats
I know you’ve been a member for a while but I say it anyway, welcome fellow Michigander! I thought those ferns looked familiar lol. We’re are u camped there?

Reactions: Plumber32
M

MVH

Aug 29, 2018
MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know you’ve been a member for a while but I say it anyway, welcome fellow Michigander! I thought those ferns looked familiar lol. We’re are u camped there?
Not at this time, but have for deer hunting. Near Ocqueoc

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
When you say 1/2 ton please be more specific, what is the power train, is it 4-door, long bed or short, 4-wheel drive, does it already have a FACTORY TOW PACKAGE?
It seriously makes a huge difference...more power, transmission, heavier frame, thicker brakes!
Yes if you have all of that it can be done.
It needs to be open haul...no separate garage (they are much heavier), no fiberglass siding, no more than 28' total length and that is really pushing it (smaller would be better). You will need to invest in a equalizer anti-sway hitch (IMPORTANT---NOT JUST EQUALIZER).

Now here's the deal, you'll have to look at the gross towing capacity of your truck and the gross weight of your trailer, if you have all of the above the truck will handle it with caution...but if you get in an accident, the cops will have it all weighed, if you're over name plate you are in for a s*** storm and the insurance may not cover you.

My friends & I have been down this road, I'm speaking real life experience here not internet educated.

There is another thread on here I'll have to find later about this, but to answer you question yes what you want is out there if the rear beds pivot down to the side and the model trailer has enough height.

Tell us what your truck options are please?

Good luck,
Good information. But Wait One! If you look at any forum that is set up for 5ers or travel trailers you will find dozens of threads regarding the abilities or lack thereof of f-150s and Chevy and Dodge 1500s. They're good for towing a reasonably sized boat but as soon as you add 10 or 12 ft of sale behind them everything goes south in a hurry. I

just fine for the marketing department to tell you your little half ton with half ton brakes and 1/2 ton transmission and 1/2 ton this and that and the other will haul 13,000 pounds. And, of course, it will. We all remembers the Toyota that pulled the space shuttle.

That is where reality ends. The powertrain has little to do with it. The key is the suspension, brakes, and the tongue weight. Now please, I don't intend to encourage all overloaded half ton owners to jump in and tell me how they can go 80 miles an hour with their 12000 pound travel trailer. Of course you can. It's not go power, it's whoa power. And things such as rear end gearing, tow package (a laugh to define) tow rating and the fact that your salesman said it will pull it and you won't even know it's behind you are really not important. You don't have a heavy duty towing vehicle.

that's not to say you can't pull a 5000 lb trailer. You might be able to if you take another major factor into consideration. That being the load capacity of your vehicle. It's on the door of your pickup. And you have to add in the tongue weight that you're putting on it, the cargo in the truck, the driver, the passengers, the kids, the dogs, the cases of beer. Oft times you are overloaded the second you hook up your trailer.

Forgive me for this quick and sloppy a tirade but it just upsets me when I read some of the stuff about 1/2 ton trucks' capabilities.

As to the op's question, I used to have a Forest River Wolfpack toyhauler. It had about an 18-foot living quarters portion and a front deck for toys. That front deck held two of our ATVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondoman and JohnS
J

JohnS

Lifetime Member
May 13, 2019
Windsor ME
Ownership

1. 500
I had a really nice gentleman's truck, a Ram (FIAT) 1500 eco diesel then I bought a toy hauler and the truck wouldn't pull it so I sold it at a loss and bought a Toyota Tundra with that nice cast iron V8. Plenty truck to get er done as others have posted. Some day I will pass a few F150s with their suped up 6 cyl twin turbos on the side of the road and laugh and cry with/for them.
Finding a toy hauler that works with factory rear bumper set up wasn't easy to find big enough for a SxS until I found a 2015 Forrest River "Work and Play" 18 ft trailer (23 ft tip to tip) model is 4X4TWPT24FB______. It is a camper with AC heat shower stove microwave reefer etc., and has a fold down table/chairs and a fold down bed. As others have already stressed these are heavier/sturdier frames; it weighs between 9 and 10 thousand depending on how much you carry and has about 750 lbs tongue weight which is easily managed with weight distro rigs. It has large capacity tanks for dry camping.
Unfortunately the industry has forsaken you and us that need just this set up. All new ones are much larger goosenecks or much smaller and only good for ATVs etc. or they push all the shower/bed/stove/reefer stuff up front and make all the rear open for the SxS and they cannot do this in 18 ft so it ends up 24 ft and 28 tip to tip which I really didn't want. My search took years but I live up in the boonies.
My SxS is a Honda P5 which is 50 inches wide. If I knew the dimensions of your SxS i could tell you how it would fit.

Last edited:
RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Stryker 2816 with the Bunk Bed Option, and when both Beds are fully retracted to the ceiling my 1000-5 fits fine - about 4 inches clearance.

Stryker Toy Hauler | Cruiser RVs

I don't think I would pull it wilh a 1/2 ton - I use a 1 Ton Dually and it pulls fine.

My advice would be to do two things - go to an RV show if you can and see all the different RV's - that is how I found the Stryker. If the clearance looks close, I would take your SxS to the dealer and drive it into the RV to make sure.

B

Barryjenkins67

Jan 6, 2020
AZ & AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5

4268D897 98F2 4947 8395 7636C74D86C6 215839FA 8C36 47DD ABD5 7A329E242661

Reactions: Haldog77
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a Stryker 2816 with the Bunk Bed Option, and when both Beds are fully retracted to the ceiling my 1000-5 fits fine - about 4 inches clearance.

Stryker Toy Hauler | Cruiser RVs

I don't think I would pull it wilh a 1/2 ton - I use a 1 Ton Dually and it pulls fine.

My advice would be to do two things - go to an RV show if you can and see all the different RV's - that is how I found the Stryker. If the clearance looks close, I would take your SxS to the dealer and drive it into the RV to make sure.
Love my 2916

IMG 20190507 165844128

Tray

Tray

May 28, 2015
I have one but I had to put air bags on the truck so it would sit right.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good information. But Wait One! If you look at any forum that is set up for 5ers or travel trailers you will find dozens of threads regarding the abilities or lack thereof of f-150s and Chevy and Dodge 1500s. They're good for towing a reasonably sized boat but as soon as you add 10 or 12 ft of sale behind them everything goes south in a hurry. I

just fine for the marketing department to tell you your little half ton with half ton brakes and 1/2 ton transmission and 1/2 ton this and that and the other will haul 13,000 pounds. And, of course, it will. We all remembers the Toyota that pulled the space shuttle.

That is where reality ends. The powertrain has little to do with it. The key is the suspension, brakes, and the tongue weight. Now please, I don't intend to encourage all overloaded half ton owners to jump in and tell me how they can go 80 miles an hour with their 12000 pound travel trailer. Of course you can. It's not go power, it's whoa power. And things such as rear end gearing, tow package (a laugh to define) tow rating and the fact that your salesman said it will pull it and you won't even know it's behind you are really not important. You don't have a heavy duty towing vehicle.

that's not to say you can't pull a 5000 lb trailer. You might be able to if you take another major factor into consideration. That being the load capacity of your vehicle. It's on the door of your pickup. And you have to add in the tongue weight that you're putting on it, the cargo in the truck, the driver, the passengers, the kids, the dogs, the cases of beer. Oft times you are overloaded the second you hook up your trailer.

Forgive me for this quick and sloppy a tirade but it just upsets me when I read some of the stuff about 1/2 ton trucks' capabilities.

As to the op's question, I used to have a Forest River Wolfpack toyhauler. It had about an 18-foot living quarters portion and a front deck for toys. That front deck held two of our ATVs.

This guy gets it.

P

Pronghorn1

Oct 22, 2018
Prescott Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
YES! We have a Momentum 350G by Grand Design. Our Honda Pioneer 1000-5 with roof and a spare tire and cooler rack off the rear roll bar like the Brick City Fab guys make fits with plenty of room. No mods to trailer at all.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 177740
YES! We have a Momentum 350G by Grand Design. Our Honda Pioneer 1000-5 with roof and a spare tire and cooler rack off the rear roll bar like the Brick City Fab guys make fits with plenty of room. No mods to trailer at all.

Isn't that model a 5th wheel?
He's specifically asking for a bumper hitch pull model that can be hauled by a 1/2 ton.

Reactions: CaseysDaddy and lee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!