P1000 Toy Hauler

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm in trouble it looks like. I am going to need one that is tall seeing I am 2.5 lift and on 30" tires
Can get some roller wheels. I think someone posted it on another thread last week.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
YES! We have a Momentum 350G by Grand Design. Our Honda Pioneer 1000-5 with roof and a spare tire and cooler rack off the rear roll bar like the Brick City Fab guys make fits with plenty of room. No mods to trailer at all.
It’s all about controlling the load.

Reactions: Remington
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I was selecting a new trailer for my P-1000 (same overall size as yours I think) the trailer dealer said he could order a trailer with any height that I req'd, like it was no big deal at all to raise up the trailer roof. I ended up with an open trailer because the 7' wide just is too narrow for an enclosed, and I don't have the equipment to haul an 8' trailer. I would love to have the bigger trailers that some have, but my Aluma trailer works fine for my more modest requirements. Point being that the dealers evidently can add to the height without any big deal if you want, and without breaking the bank. BTW, I really like the hydraulic assisted loading/unloading on my Aluma open, 12' trailer - nice product for what it is. The dealer also warned me that there is a significant difference in pulling an 8' trailer vs. a 7' trailer when it comes to mileage and handling. Like I said I was just working with a modest towing vehicle - Toyota Highlander, but I ended up getting a nice little package for my needs. Yes I envy you guys with the big rigs. LOL

J

JTW

I missed something. Whats intech?
The brand of my trailer.
18E2210C A39C 4B24 8D94 4F539BE80A34
6C5EE212 10B1 4EBB B915 2449172F0485
5BCEA33A E4A9 42A6 9331 09EF813828C7
3674891A 410B 4ADC B878 0902A00AC53B

inTech Trailers | Official Website

C

CaseysDaddy

Jul 6, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cherokee Grey Wolf 25RRT, approximately 15' of cargo space, just over 5,000lbs. unloaded, 77.5" ceiling height. GVWR +/- 8,000 lbs. Definitely half ton towable with the right half ton truck.
have you loaded one with a stock P1000-5 w/factory roof? pictures?

C

CaseysDaddy

Jul 6, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s my Coachman Freedom Express. I was in the same boat looking for something that would fit my 1000-5.
are having to lower tire pressure? is yours p1000-5 a deluxe i am only asking because the wheels and tires are different on non deluxe models.
what year is the coach?

M

Myersb75

Feb 25, 2019
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
are having to lower tire pressure? is yours p1000-5 a deluxe i am only asking because the wheels and tires are different on non deluxe models.
what year is the coach?
Mine is not a deluxe. I have about six inches of clearance from the bed, which I’m able to raise it to the ceiling. I can probably go a little higher if needed.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what year is the coach?

Read the other posts.
Just undo the quick clamps and lift the roof back or take it off & put it to the side, re-install when you get where you're going...it takes less than 5-minutes and you'll gain like 5 inches. Or go with a fiber roof it you don't want to take the time to do that.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good information. But Wait One! If you look at any forum that is set up for 5ers or travel trailers you will find dozens of threads regarding the abilities or lack thereof of f-150s and Chevy and Dodge 1500s. They're good for towing a reasonably sized boat but as soon as you add 10 or 12 ft of sale behind them everything goes south in a hurry. I

just fine for the marketing department to tell you your little half ton with half ton brakes and 1/2 ton transmission and 1/2 ton this and that and the other will haul 13,000 pounds. And, of course, it will. We all remembers the Toyota that pulled the space shuttle.

That is where reality ends. The powertrain has little to do with it. The key is the suspension, brakes, and the tongue weight. Now please, I don't intend to encourage all overloaded half ton owners to jump in and tell me how they can go 80 miles an hour with their 12000 pound travel trailer. Of course you can. It's not go power, it's whoa power. And things such as rear end gearing, tow package (a laugh to define) tow rating and the fact that your salesman said it will pull it and you won't even know it's behind you are really not important. You don't have a heavy duty towing vehicle.

that's not to say you can't pull a 5000 lb trailer. You might be able to if you take another major factor into consideration. That being the load capacity of your vehicle. It's on the door of your pickup. And you have to add in the tongue weight that you're putting on it, the cargo in the truck, the driver, the passengers, the kids, the dogs, the cases of beer. Oft times you are overloaded the second you hook up your trailer.

Forgive me for this quick and sloppy a tirade but it just upsets me when I read some of the stuff about 1/2 ton trucks' capabilities.

As to the op's question, I used to have a Forest River Wolfpack toyhauler. It had about an 18-foot living quarters portion and a front deck for toys. That front deck held two of our ATVs.

Sometimes it’s not power go or stop, sometimes its length, the 1/2ton may tow 13,000lbs of lead on a flatbed trailer. Throw a 8000lb 30’ travel trailer with an improperly setup WD sway control hitch and you may struggle to control the sway. The Sail effect of the side of the trailer will cause sway.

K

KDOMBY

Nov 20, 2018
Ontario, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wanted the smallest trailer that we could get......the wife really wanted a front bedroom.....had to be bumper pull because I like to use the bed of the truck and we spend quiet a bit of time off-road reaching 'unique' campsites so articulation is important..... We ended up with a 2020 Grand Design Momentum 25G. Our P1K has the factory roof (with Rotopax and shovel on it), light bar thats at the roof level, and 28" tires. It JUST fits. We take out the curb-side couch so the SXS doesn't rub the fabric but it fits under the cabinets and doesn't seem to move enough to make any hard contact anywhere. Length is no problem at all. This is my first NEW trailer so I'm pretty careful with it right now but we've put on a few thousand miles now and are really happy with how tight it fits.

View attachment 177982View attachment 177983View attachment 177984
So question on the Momentum. I hve been looking at those for a while now. As far as the overhead cabinets on the passenger side go, how close are you to them? And would you have enough room for one of the brick city fab racks? It adds about 1 3/4 ft to the back end.

Reactions: Vikes79
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So question on the Momentum. I hve been looking at those for a while now. As far as the overhead cabinets on the passenger side go, how close are you to them? And would you have enough room for one of the brick city fab racks? It adds about 1 3/4 ft to the back end.
Not sure on the momentum, I have a Carbon. I do have a BCF rack and it’s a bit too tight to close the door with that on. I just remove the rack and slide it underneath the machine. It travels nice there.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an enclosed that I’m partially converting that allows mine to fit.. and mine is taller than most
looks short to me....

Reactions: Haldog77
michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two different models:

Aluminum Toy Hauler 8x20:

They're all aluminum construction with an empty weight of 4,500lbs, and a tongue weight of 650lbs without the Generator option. If you opt for the Gen set, the tongue weight jumps to 950lbs. Entry height is 89 inches. You do pay for it though with an entry price (MSRP) of $38,390. More realistically, I've seen them advertised around $45-50K.

Livin Lite Quick Silver 7x20 (post 2016 model)
I wanted one of those ATC's, but the price was out of my range when we purchased. I ended up picking up a used Livin Lite 7x20 Quicksilver VRV. It came in around 3,800lbs empty. My 2015 model will not fit the Honda roof though because the older models had a lower entry height. I believe that they added 8 inches of clearance on the later year models. But, my 2015 fits snug with the soft top. The extra foot of width would have been nice because I have to crawl out the back after loading mine (Bed and couch are on the walls, so I can't open the doors). It is a compact setup though. Unfortunately , Livin Lite stopped making their toy hauler last year from what I have been told so you'd have to find a last years model on a lot, or go used.

Either of the models are hard to find used, because they don't rot. Most folks that I've spoke to who own them, won't sell them and those who do, are often doing so because they're getting the large model. I just happened to luck out and found a clean one from an older couple who was giving up on pulling a trailer around. At the time, I hadn't even thought about buying a UTV...the size of it helped push me towards the Pioneer because of how compact our machines are compared to the competition.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!