Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Left your coats at home didn't cha!?!?:cool:

BTW... a roll of saran wrap around the cage would have saved your a$$!!!(Just a layer to block wind and water).
Ya ya. Wasn't going to stop at the store with dealer rig though. Left the house at 6:30 still not feeling great from night before to be at dealer at 8am. Didn't think to bring anything not even helmets for a test drive but it's idaho lol. You know us we'll go anyways, froze our asses off for 3 hours. Ang never b****ed, I appreciate that tough woman, most would've complained especially at 50mph snowing,that was really really bad with not even a deflector!

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought one of those for our machine a few years back lol. Actually helped push them into doing the Pioneer. Liked ours really well but where we ride is too tough on them and our first one was replaced the first weekend so I sold off our second one. Wish we could run it was great especially at dusk
Yeah...i was thinking i would have to search out some more robust screen for a production version. Or maybe a "roll up" version like those sunshades. I left mine on intentionally for the trailer home and was surprised it didn't tear.

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wasn't bashing the new Yamaha by any means. This X4 would definitely be on the short list had it been available before I bought my 1000-5. I was just curious on the 30" tire thing.
Plus I was expecting/hoping to see a Yamaha branded audio option since they do have that whole audio division after all. Was just disappointed to see high dollar SSV branded factory stereo.

D

Deleted member 3748

First drive in a Wolverine x4 and we were allowed to actually run it hard where we normally ride so got a damn good feel. Put 3 hours in it on various terrains from pavement to very tight goat trails. This wasn't some setup test course it was real N. Idaho quad and dirt bike trails.
View attachment 57583
Great review and write up. I've been looking at the Wolverines and the Mavericks. If they put that 850 in the R-Spec I won't be able to get to the dealership fast enough. As it is now, the 52 mph top speed is adequate for group rides with the big machines, but 62 would be a lot nicer. :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great review and write up. I've been looking at the Wolverines and the Mavericks. If they put that 850 in the R-Spec I won't be able to get to the dealership fast enough. As it is now, the 52 mph top speed is adequate for group rides with the big machines, but 62 would be a lot nicer. :)
850 will becoming a 2 seat soon enough. Yamaha has quit developing and mentioning the 700 says the dealer he expects this next year. We've been really happy R-Spec sad it's going

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh I know. It sucks to pay automobile prices for a fancy go kart no matter who's name is on it.
My biggest point that I failed to make clear was that you have to pay for a $1300 option to get 27's when it should come with stock anyway..

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wasn't bashing the new Yamaha by any means. This X4 would definitely be on the short list had it been available before I bought my 1000-5. I was just curious on the 30" tire thing.
Plus I was expecting/hoping to see a Yamaha branded audio option since they do have that whole audio division after all. Was just disappointed to see high dollar SSV branded factory stereo.
Didn't take it that way at all.

A "factory" 30" option would be impressive. 27"...well...thats about normal now.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Right around springtime would be good for me.
I'm sure they'll wait for the x4 to calm down. Damn manufacturers do that to us all the time. I still wish Honda would do something in this category I think it'd be a slam dunk especially with the paddles

D

Deleted member 3748

I'm sure they'll wait for the x4 to calm down. Damn manufacturers do that to us all the time. I still wish Honda would do something in this category I think it'd be a slam dunk especially with the paddles
Honda is what I've been waiting for, but they're not coming through. I have equal love for Yamaha though, and a decent amount of like for a Rotax.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honda is what I've been waiting for, but they're not coming through. I have equal love for Yamaha though, and a decent amount of like for a Rotax.
Like I've always said Honda first then Yamaha for me. Chances are really low I'd consider something else. Durability is most looked at for us and even though we've had issues with the 1000 I do believe most are very dependable and someday I'll be back trusting ours but for now I'll provide however deemed necessary to see my family having out having fun. Sick of detrimental problems!

W

warrn61

Nov 9, 2017
SW Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Already posted some of this in my introduction. Right now I am having a hard time deciding between the X4 and P1K5, I was all set to buy the Honda then my dealer called and said they were getting an X4 in this weekend. It will be used for hunting, plowing snow and fast trail riding. I am assuming either machine will need better suspension added. From the pictures I like the layout and bucket seats in the X4 better. Hopefully I will get a chance to ride one this weekend. They have a new P1K5 Deluxe for $14,300 and said the X4 SE will be $17,300. For $3K price difference I can put suspension, windshield, winch and plow on the Honda... The Honda has price, power, and top speed on its side. It looks like the X4 has pretty much everything else.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The Honda has price, power, and top speed on its side. It looks like the X4 has pretty much everything else.[/QUOTE]

Nutshell yes.
I was a little disappointed in power considering the hp is close. Suspension I was hoping would be closer to our Wolverine R-spec that absolutely kicks ass but it is on par with non LE Pioneer. I'm sure they'll fix that with R-Spec x4 soon like Honda did with the LE. They are very different rigs suited for just slightly different things.
Hunting/plowing I'll have to say Pioneer. Power bed space needed. But x4 runs really quiet so that's a positive.
For strictly trail riding I'd say X4 because it's slightly more nimble and those damn seats are so nice.
Both are very close in ride, size,steering. Brakes absolutely go to the Yami, engine braking is beyond b****en in the Honda but x4 does great "for a belt"
The gears in the Pioneer don't win some over but those of us that like it will have a hell of a time going back. Even those of us with problems. It does smooth out in time and I love the advantages. The Yamaha belt IS THE BEST BELT by far it really is silky smooth and can be run in low rpm's unlike most, it doesn't have the required high rev spine killing takeoff I've had before.
I'm sure some Honda guys are upset with me saying the true positives and negatives with either but that's how they are and I'll report what I see regardless.
I'll personally choose the Honda but others will find the Yamaha to suit themselves better. Both are excellent, good luck choosing.

Last edited:
W

warrn61

Nov 9, 2017
SW Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
[/QUOTE]
Hunting/plowing I'll have to say Pioneer. Power bed space needed. But x4 runs really quiet so that's a positive.
For strictly trail riding I'd say X4 because it's slightly more nimble and those damn seats are so nice.

I'll personally choose the Honda but others will find the Yamaha to suit themselves better. Both are excellent, good luck choosing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I am thinking a P1K5 with upgraded shocks and I’ll fab up some bucket seats is probably the route I will go. I’ve had dirt bikes, quads, and motorcycles but this will be my first sxs. My dad and brother have a Can Am Commander 1000 and Defender 1000 which are great machines but I need seating for four and don’t want a limo.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Where we ride those limousines absolutely fail miserably! Not to mention dependability on those rigs from a percentage scale proves really poor. For your specific needs I'd say Pioneer especially considering 3k buys some good stuff but if you get a chance a test drive is in order, it's too much money for mistakes. It's nice to see some competition amongst the two makes.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Realized I never updated this.Been asked several times so here it is.
Well it’s obvious we liked the x4 enough and during our problems with the 1000 we had to at least look elsewhere at some point.
Yamaha has always been a solid second choice for us, we ordered the dark grey x4 and a bunch of accessories then finally had the chance to test drive after months. We were the first in the area. After the test drive that went good it was time to make a decision. Sitting down with the pen in my hand didn’t feel right and even though my wife has my back fully I looked at her and asked “are you sure?” She said “honestly we need to do something and if you think this is it I’m ok” That’s not the excited statement you should have and I felt the same. We left saying we needed to sleep on it.
We got home and thought about everything we had designed, built and bought for the 1000, looking back through pictures we realized also we were giving up which isn’t us at all. We had so many good times and truly loved the 1000. We love the RSpec and really wanted to love the x4 but just didn’t.
Long story short our down payment was released and we put that back into that Pioneer. Didn’t work out. So shortly after we bought Clutch
Almost 8k miles now on Pioneers including the 700-4 and all the 1000’s even with the downtime. I have a pretty good feel for these and believe this one is solid, she’s a keeper. I believe most of the problems from PJ our prior stem from loose intake clamps.
As for the x4, well we love the P1K5 and still believe it’s the best multi passenger Sxs for the tight woods.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!