AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I contacted both Fox and Walker Evans. It looks like Fox is planning something for later in the year, but it will only be available through Honda dealers. I'm not really thrilled with that, and really need shocks right now, since my front left OE shock is leaking all over my garage floor. Here's Fox's response...

Reply from Fox
WE told me to give them a call and I can purchase directly from them.

I haven't contacted Elka yet but they do have shocks available for the 1000, and they are less expensive. Does anyone have any experience with their products?

Reactions: dotman1
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ah....
Confirm. This will be a "Honda" part... Oohhh.. Looks like the 1000 is picking up fox shocks. Wonder what else we will see.

Reactions: AKRider
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ah ha, That's what I've been saying about fox! Remember that pic last year with the "Baja pioneer"? It had Fox shocks.

I don't believe in coincidences. Not saying I'll buy them but I wanted to wait until there were several choices and hopefully competition to drive down price.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

Reactions: AKRider and Eltobgi
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ah ha, That's what I've been saying about fox! Remember that pic last year with the "Baja pioneer"? It had Fox shocks.

I don't believe in coincidences. Not saying I'll buy them but I wanted to wait until there were several choices and hopefully competition to drive down price.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"
I can either buy an OEM replacement and wait to see what happens with prices, or be the guinea pig and shell out the money for the Walker Evans. Hmm...

I know a guy that has them on his Ranger and he loves them. I have a feeling there will be WE front shocks on my machine sooner than later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As info - I believe I read a post on here where guy added ELKAs all the way around. said they were a great improvement.

R

RedBarn

Sep 3, 2016
Loveland, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As info - I believe I read a post on here where guy added ELKAs all the way around. said they were a great improvement.
Just got back from a 75 mile ride to the old RR tunnel atop Rollins Pass, Colorado. Some very extreme terrain. I was very dissatisfied with the suspension on my new 1000-5. I too am searching for aftermarket suspension. Tips appreciated.

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FOX brand "Honda" shocks! After all the mark ups these things are going to be $800 a piece?

Reactions: Hondasxs
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My bad - WE not Elka
That was probably @Hondasxs review. I didn't want to hijack his post so I started this one.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FOX brand "Honda" shocks! After all the mark ups these things are going to be $800 a piece?
Lol... maybe. Or they'll be be slightly less if Honda puts them on all the new Pioneers.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Found a second source last night mentioning fox as a Honda option this fall.
Seeing the sport is not due until spring I expect the Pioneer 1000 will have a new option.
Then I expect to see Fox on the sport also, late next year.

Can't wait... Lol

bigsnowman

bigsnowman

On the Fox note, that explains why I could get no straight answer out of my contact at Fox on either if or when they might become available.

I haven't contacted Elka yet but they do have shocks available for the 1000, and they are less expensive. Does anyone have any experience with their products?

I did get fed up with both waiting for and no answers from Fox and made a phone call to Elka. Letting my fingers do the walking took me to Canada and they directed me to Jeff at Rockridge 4wd. Jeff did a phenomenal job at walking me through Elka's options and after asking many questions, I ordered a set of Stage 4s that were built for me based on the answers I gave. And....I couldn't be happier with the performance and I'm very pleased with the adjustability on the shocks. Plus, they were shipped direct to me from the factory in a very prompt manner as I was leaving on a trip with our Pioneer and wanted the shocks installed. Bottom line, so far for the month and the 150 miles that I've had the Elka's on, I would strongly recommend both Elka and Jeff. Good luck in your search!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the Fox note, that explains why I could get no straight answer out of my contact at Fox on either if or when they might become available.

I did get fed up with both waiting for and no answers from Fox and made a phone call to Elka. Letting my fingers do the walking took me to Canada and they directed me to Jeff at Rockridge 4wd. Jeff did a phenomenal job at walking me through Elka's options and after asking many questions, I ordered a set of Stage 4s that were built for me based on the answers I gave. And....I couldn't be happier with the performance and I'm very pleased with the adjustability on the shocks. Plus, they were shipped direct to me from the factory in a very prompt manner as I was leaving on a trip with our Pioneer and wanted the shocks installed. Bottom line, so far for the month and the 150 miles that I've had the Elka's on, I would strongly recommend both Elka and Jeff. Good luck in your search!
That's great to hear! It's always nice to have more options. I will take a second look at Elka. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana

I"m leaning towards the Elka's myself, got any pics? also can u get any additional height with the ELKA's , asking because i currently have strongmade lift kit with 28's and I would hope to take lift kit off and just use elka shocks but hoping for at least an inch of additional clearance vs stock suspension ?? thanks

Reactions: dotman1
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

can you give us an estimate of what you paid for all those? also, do they offer any warranty? thank you!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally made a decision and pulled the trigger on the Walker Evans front shocks. They came tonight. Even though it's been done I will attempt to take some pics of the install. Hopefully tomorrow. I want to take them out for a run on Saturday.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally made a decision and pulled the trigger on the Walker Evans front shocks. They came tonight. Even though it's been done I will attempt to take some pics of the install. Hopefully tomorrow. I want to take them out for a run on Saturday.

I'm dying to know how well they work with the load levelers

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got em on. Too easy. Here's some pics. I think the front is sitting a little high, but I haven't taken it out. We'll see how it rides on Saturday. Ca7afbf1cec901c8b3560b4420db8a0eE7c4705ee3dd177cf84c720cbf38b192Bfc6ad6e62171c9fac058365d0698eabD095051810de6e23d8284356f173f18180ceda478c8436c8d9a365d0a1044d54B3a1e25d6c194716d92f389e92a8c6b1Ce417e01929c597df48d7403507450ab0ef03a780c6dd981c9d15ec2e7824c28

Before and after. I'm sure you can see which shock failed.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got em on. Too easy. Here's some pics. I think the front is sitting a little high, but I haven't taken it out. We'll see how it rides on Saturday. View attachment 24183View attachment 24184View attachment 24185View attachment 24186View attachment 24187View attachment 24188View attachment 24189View attachment 24190

Before and after. I'm sure you can see which shock failed.

I'm a little embarrassed at how dirty the machine is. This is after one wash from being out on trails off the Denali Hwy.

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!