P1000 Overheating

Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The number one overheating issue is mud in the radiator blocking air flow, it is not limited to the 1000, the 500s do it as well. I lead a lot of groups and have only ever had the issue once myself, 10 minutes with the pressure washer getting the radiator thoroughly clean makes all the difference in the world.

At our 2018 Takeover led a P500 group, had 2 machines that kept getting hot, I even towed out a CF Moto 800 SXS with 3 people inside, for 6 miles of muddy trails, my machine (P500) never got hot but people back in the group couldn't keep up without overheating towing nothing.

Point is, it is imperative to get the radiator clean after every ride, do that you likely won't have problems.
This I the only issue I have had also radiator was completely packed with mud. I washed it out on the trail but the dust was so bad it just made more mud and more overheating.

Reactions: BWAF
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built most of those conveyors at Nissan bawhahaha what a nightmare Look and see if they are HYTROL stuff
The Decherd engine plant? I've never honestly looked at manufacturer but I will.

Reactions: BWAF
H

HarleyMike1

Feb 10, 2018
St. Charles, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So our 2017 Pioneer 1000 has overheated three times now and been to the dealer twice for the problem. Dealer can not find anything wrong, but suggests that anytime I run below 20 mph to only use low range gears. I can't see how this will prevent the overheating. Any comments or suggestions here?
Another questions. When you pull over to cool off, is it better to leave the engine running of turn it off?
While in Colorado this past June & coolant level was fu
So our 2017 Pioneer 1000 has overheated three times now and been to the dealer twice for the problem. Dealer can not find anything wrong, but suggests that anytime I run below 20 mph to only use low range gears. I can't see how this will prevent the overheating. Any comments or suggestions here?
Another questions. When you pull over to cool off, is it better to leave the engine running of turn it off?

While running the mining trails in Colorado this past June, my 1000LE would overheat whenever I was pulling long steep trails above 10,000ft. The fan was running & the coolant level was fine. I tried high & low range with no appreciable difference (overheated in both). Just had to stop & let it idle for a while to cool-off then I’d continue to the top. Kind of a pain but it was nice to take a pee break!
ll

Reactions: lee
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I added my fan override switch today. I went from my accessory fuse panel to a switch in panel and then to the blue wire on fan. This will allow the fan to work as usual and then I can manually turn it on if I see more than 2 bars. I can also run it without the ignition on. Of course it's better to have the engine circulating, but I now have options.

I thought I read somewhere on here that honda changed some programming in the ecu for 2018 or 2019? I wonder if it included the fan cycling and if dealers can flash the older machines to new spec?
I'm guessing these are too low tech for that.

Reactions: perry
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had trouble with mine most of the day today. I washed out twice and still had problems. I cooled it down and opened the radiator cap, the started the engine!!! It looked like a gyser!!!!!!!! A huge air bubble.
I topped it of and refired it. Rode the rest of the day without any trouble. My machine has 950 miles on it. So not sure what's up, I did just have the update clutch. Cover done.

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just boiled over. 20 minutes of 10mph on flat dirt. Then 2 minutes of low range rock crawling and immediately boiled over. Turned it off till the bubbles stopped and then idled till 3 bars got to two. Made it back to camp at 20mph with no problems. Running into town to get more fluid, top and burp tomorrow and see what happens. Grrrrr....

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Yeah I’ve been there and I like to ride mud and the darn thing overheats all the time. I’m trying to look into a radiator relocation. It’s a bummer there doesn’t seem to be as much aftermarket solutions for the pioneer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just boiled over. 20 minutes of 10mph on flat dirt. Then 2 minutes of low range rock crawling and immediately boiled over. Turned it off till the bubbles stopped and then idled till 3 bars got to two. Made it back to camp at 20mph with no problems. Running into town to get more fluid, top and burp tomorrow and see what happens. Grrrrr....
Burped it following the process here on the forum and using the key full turn to start every time and haven't had s problem since. 200 miles since fix....

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
New Machine 700 miles and its over heated 2 times so far, and then took it to the shop and they said the computer had a wrong temperature setting, That BS. Now the second time and have a shop apt. on the 15 and see what they say this time? the question is how many time til something takes it out?

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Iv been fighting mine overheating for around the last 7-800 miles. It's only at about 1800 miles all together. I installed some Evans waterless coolant (from my race dirtbikes) and it seemed to help, iv only rode one small ride with it, but I did alot of hill climbs and beating on it pretty hard and no issues, although I only rode for a few hours. Once I finish up my new roll cage and exo cage, I'll take it out for a good ride and update y'all

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It should never over heat unless there's something wrong with it. I have over 3,000 miles on my pioneer 1000-5 2016 and it's never overheated.

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
It should never over heat unless there's something wrong with it. I have over 3,000 miles on my pioneer 1000-5 2016 and it's never overheated.

Mine did good for the first 1000 miles or so, but after that it's been nothing but fighting. Bad enough I'll carry 5 gallons of coolant mix with me when I go out more than a few miles from the truck

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mine did good for the first 1000 miles or so, but after that it's been nothing but fighting. Bad enough I'll carry 5 gallons of coolant mix with me when I go out more than a few miles from the truck

Have you changed anything recently?

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
No I put a bumper skidplate and fox shocks on around 6-700 miles, then after the first overheat iv been burping every time. Once it boils over I always have air pockets. Hopeing atleast the new coolant won't boil over if I do get to hot. Atleast save me that much time. If that doesn't fix it and I don't get it fixed soon im prob going to sell it

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
No I put a bumper skidplate and fox shocks on around 6-700 miles, then after the first overheat iv been burping every time. Once it boils over I always have air pockets. Hopeing atleast the new coolant won't boil over if I do get to hot. Atleast save me that much time. If that doesn't fix it and I don't get it fixed soon im prob going to sell it

It needs to be completely drained and flushed and filled up with new antifreeze mixed 50/50 . If that does not work there is something else wrong with it like a thermostat or sensor.

Reactions: TomB985
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
When I put the Evans waterless coolant in it I did drain the while system because it cannot have any water in it before Installing the Evans coolant

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
My 2016 never Gave me any problems but the stock skid plate sucks

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R

Its about the fan and the pcm that Honda has a glitch in

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My 2016 never Gave me any problems but the stock skid plate sucks
What was your first clue, hope it wasn't expensive, HA!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!