Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You guys would really pack more than 2K lbs over the rated capacity of the camper? GVW isnt 12-14 so I wouldn't plan on packing that much. I'm curious if 2000lbs in the far aft would make it squirrelly though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
No, it’s not all in the back. I probably have 600 lbs just in the pass through up front. Then there’s mamas gear in the loft :rolleyes:. Plus, ratings are under rated. That 6’ step ladder that says it’s good for 250 lbs. can really hold double, at least. And a half ton truck can carry way more than 1000 lbs in the bed lmao.

UpnorthP5

UpnorthP5

Sep 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
FE3CE0E9 F678 4A87 AD3E 39D7210A26A7
After RRB we stayed at Windrock for a few days, you sure find out what your trucks is made of pulling a load up into the campground there.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
says 74 with it in listed width is less than 70 th only thing it doesnt say is how high with it folded up, youd have to get some other specs or something, if its 6ft or so probably fineit does say 14 overall
most of the bad weight would be tanks if you plan on dry comping, if not that be saved and if you are taking wood and coolers. mine has grills and fridges outside would be in the base weight then

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You can get away with all kinds of stuff for short hauls, but I wouldn't suggest that for cross country.
I wouldn’t suggest it at all if you want your insurance company to cover a claim, but we were talking capabilities.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
had an old half ton chevy before the ford I had, those things were rated for only a few hundred lbs and few thousand towing. but it was a f44 basically a 1500hd before they had those, putting my 1k quad in it was about the weight it actually started squatting, I took scrap back in it and hauled cable spools very easy handled a ton without bottoming everywhere. my camper was a lot heavier then too even though it was shorter. would much rather tow with that than anything recent that is rated for 8 or 10k. I guess they figure if they put those people wont put that much on it or buy a bigger one who knows but doesn't seem related to any sort of engineering data when you have same truck with different gears being the only difference and being able to tow that much more

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW, had 2500 lbs of top soil loaded in the back of the Sierra 1/2 ton a couple months ago. Didn't mean to load that much into it but when the loader bucket dumps, you can't always control it. Only hauled it about 5 miles. Also have air bags that had about 60 psi in them. I don't plan to do that again or anything. :rolleyes:

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
half ton chev can haul anything, lol
cant imagine how many ive seen hauling dump trailers that weight more than the limit empty

Reactions: Montecresto
XtremeF150

XtremeF150

Aug 27, 2016
Cumming GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thing I have been reading is that many of these smaller models that will fit the P1K5 have a sway issue even when pulled with 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks with WD hitches. Some of this is likely due to their length and being a bumper pull. Does anyone have any specific bumper Pull toy hauler models that the P1K5 fits into that also pulls nicely.
Trying to avoid going up to the 5th wheel toy haulers here if anyone didn't notice.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thing I have been reading is that many of these smaller models that will fit the P1K5 have a sway issue even when pulled with 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks with WD hitches. Some of this is likely due to their length and being a bumper pull. Does anyone have any specific bumper Pull toy hauler models that the P1K5 fits into that also pulls nicely.
Trying to avoid going up to the 5th wheel toy haulers here if anyone didn't notice.
emoji16.png

Getting a usable camper with a 1000 capable garage is going to be on the border of sketchy with a 150. I’ve been looking hard myself and there’s just not much out there. The more I dug the more it became apparent the 150 towables are really geared toward mx, ATVs, and Harley weights not 2000lbs of SxS. You’ll need a WD hitch no matter if it’s 150 or 350. There are a few that should do it fairly safely but they aren’t cheap. It’s a Goldilocks zone that the RV folks are hopefully working on filling.

I’m in the market for a truck and I’m leaning heavily toward a 350/3500 but it won’t be a daily for me since I have access to a company car. It’s going to be a tow pig,

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting a usable camper with a 1000 capable garage is going to be on the border of sketchy with a 150. I’ve been looking hard myself and there’s just not much out there. The more I dug the more it became apparent the 150 towables are really geared toward mx, ATVs, and Harley weights not 2000lbs of SxS. You’ll need a WD hitch no matter if it’s 150 or 350. There are a few that should do it fairly safely but they aren’t cheap. It’s a Goldilocks zone that the RV folks are hopefully working on filling.

I’m in the market for a truck and I’m leaning heavily toward a 350/3500 but it won’t be a daily for me since I have access to a company car. It’s going to be a tow pig,

I talked to him today and he is considering new trucks also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

I didn’t really want a 5th either, but went through the same things you are going through. When I started seriously considering a 38’, 14k pound bumper pull I jumped the fence to 5th wheel.

I am still a bit heavy for an F250 but have had no issues so far ...

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn’t really want a 5th either, but went through the same things you are going through. When I started seriously considering a 38’, 14k pound bumper pull I jumped the fence to 5th wheel.

I am still a bit heavy for an F250 but have had no issues so far ...

Depending on the year of the F-250, for example 11 to 16s, the only real difference between a F-250 and it’s F350 srw sibling (considering same drive trains) is that the 350 has a 4” rear axel block vs a 2” and the over load spring and a different badge. Everything else is identical. *Some* F-250’s had a camper option that equipped them with the 4” rear block and the overload spring that all srw F350s have on that vintage.

I added a set of Rancho RSX9000 adjustable shocks and a set of air bags on my former 2012 F-250 Psd. It was awesome when towing my fifth wheel camper. Nice, smooth and dead stable. I was over a touch on my gcw but never ever over my axel.

In some ways I liked the towing ride of my old F-250 better than my 2016 F350 srw Psd.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
‘17 F250 with camper package. I added airbags because my pin weight with a sxs in the garage is about 3100 pounds and closer to 3300 without. I am OK on the axle weight and have considered buying the 4 leaf main springs for an F350 SRW to replace the 3 leaf springs on my 250

Reactions: Vikes79
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I talked to him today and he is considering new trucks also.

I don’t want to push someone that way just saying there’s slim picking in 150 towable for a pioneer.

Reactions: nbomar
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
like i said aftermarket shocks, i like kyb gas adjust or monomax, air lift bags, good dual cam wd bars and a trailer with good brakes are going to be the keys to white knuckle wet drawer ride in the hills and wind or not pulling 10k with a half ton. not saying i wouldnt like i said i only buy those anymore because bigger trucks suck, driving them all the time. but the bags and gas adjusts give it a nice unloaded ride. i live in a rural area with a bunch of crap roads and 2500s are terrible unloaded

i like forest river because they have alot of the stuff thats hard to quantify till you live with other trailers like bigger tanks and central ac(some), i take 3 girls camping for the weekend and the state parks dont have water and just a dump, old trailer had to dump twice really and this one four days with teenage girls is fine. the wheel position is made that way so you get turn it tighter. i had a 24 ft before and the 33 is way easier to get into tight spaces and the front makes it way easier to pull especially in headwind

2019 Forest River Work and Play Toy Hauler 26WCB for sale in Tampa, FL | Lazydays

Last edited:
Reactions: Chooglin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
like i said aftermarket shocks, i like kyb gas adjust or monomax, air lift bags, good dual cam wd bars and a trailer with good brakes are going to be the keys to white knuckle wet drawer ride in the hills and wind or not pulling 10k with a half ton. not saying i wouldnt like i said i only buy those anymore because bigger trucks suck, driving them all the time. but the bags and gas adjusts give it a nice unloaded ride. i live in a rural area with a bunch of crap roads and 2500s are terrible unloaded

i like forest river because they have alot of the stuff thats hard to quantify till you live with other trailers like bigger tanks and central ac(some), i take 3 girls camping for the weekend and the state parks dont have water and just a dump, old trailer had to dump twice really and this one four days with teenage girls is fine. the wheel position is made that way so you get turn it tighter. i had a 24 ft before and the 33 is way easier to get into tight spaces and the front makes it way easier to pull especially in headwind

2019 Forest River Work and Play Toy Hauler 26WCB for sale in Tampa, FL | Lazydays
Wow, that’s got a dry weight of 7500#!!!! That’s pretty heavy for a little guy. That means you’ll be at or over 10000# fully loaded. And the kitchens in the garage...hard on a 1/2 ton. But I hear ya on the roughness of the rural crap roads. Fords new Platinum F250 has a sweet ride though compared to the Denali and Laramie Longhorn IMO.

Reactions: ohanacreek
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
fords ride nice and got better brakes than chev, but never buy another one was the only vehicle i ever had that got a nasty letter from AAA about over use. chev trucks ive had ive beat really pulling way more in it and most were never on the truck, once or twice for trans or fuel pump after 200k. never hauled anything really with the ford was just tenting it

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2012 3.5L "Ecoboost" is rated for over 11k towing. Not sure I'd ever go that high with it though. For me it comes down to fuel mileage... With a 7k lb camper on Wisconsin hills she's down to 8-9 mpg's. With my airbags at 90-100 and tires at max psi, those little twin turbos will pull some pretty big loads without sway but it hits you hard in the wallet.

Here's some data for you guys...... https://www.fordf150.net/2012/2012-f150-specs.pdf

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
One way big way to help sway if you tow alot is to run D rated tires at max psi.

Reactions: Chooglin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!